Some Axis weapons (a lot of semi-autos)

Man im running out of ideas for Axis might be the last one I do for Germany for a while

Lets start

MAUSER MODEL 1917 TRENCH CARBINE

In the latter stages of World War One, the German military was looking for new arms for its Sturmtruppen. Without a reliable self-loading rifle design to use, they instead focused on pistol-caliber arms. The first to be used was the existing lP08 artillery Luger, fitted with a drum magazine. At the very end of the war, these were being replaced by Bergmann MP-18,I submachine guns. But there was another gun that was tested but not adopted - the 1917 trench carbine variation of Mauser’s C96 “Broomhandle” pistol. Only about 40 of these guns were made as prototypes and trials models, and they were not adopted for reasons that are not entirely clear (but cost is probably a significant element). Only a few examples survive, and they vary substantially in their details. In addition, they are substantially different from both standard C96 pistols and also the sporting carbines made before the war.

All the 1917 trench carbines used a magazine developed from the 1906/08 pistol; an excellent double-stack, double-feed type. Magazines of 10, 20, and 40-round capacity were made

1902 Lugar carbine

These were a limited manufacture for the “light rifle market”. The barrel is 300mm long with a ramp front sight and came in the 7.65mm (.30 Cal Luger). These guns utilized the “long” frame and sear of the early models along with the characteristic dished toggles.

Luger 1906 semiauto

This very much looks like a Garand
Even before his adaptation of the Borchardt pistol had been adopted by the German Army, Georg Luger had built a couple experimental versions of a military rifle using the same toggle action. Not much is known about the rifle’s performance, as it was never put into production and the reports from any testing are lost. If I was forced to guess, I would wager that the rifle had extraction problems, as the toggle system does not work very well in a shoulder rifle with high-pressure ammunition. The Pedersen rifle developed in the US had this sort of trouble, which was addressed by using wax-coated ammunition (a major factor in its loss to the Garand for US service use).
The rifle is one of the few surviving prototypes of Georg Luger’s automatic repeating rifle which used an improved version of the toggle lock system made famous by his pistol. The rifle was chambered in the standard German 7.92mm Mauser rifle cartridge and has a charger guide bridge to allow the rifle to be loaded with stripper clips. The stock and furniture is very reminiscent of a standard Mauser Gew.98’s although the Luger rifle has a distinct birds-head style semi-pistol grip.

Mannlicher 1905

Ferdinand von Mannlicher was another prominent firearms designer in Austria at the time, having invented a series of successful automatic pistols. He also made an attempt to win a military contract, with a model 1905 self-loading rifle. As with the Luger self-loader, testing reports are unavailable and only a few of the guns were ever made. The design is a short-recoil action with a tiling locking block – basically his 1901 pistol-caliber carbine scaled up to 8mm Mauser.
t is possible that this design could have been made into something successful, but von Mannlicher died in 1904 and it wasn’t pursued any further. In fact, the patent on the design was actually issued after his death.

Mannlicher m/1901 Selbstlade-Karabiner

Probably the least known of the early automatic pistol designs is the Mannlicher. The design went through several stages, starting as blow-forward action, followed by a fixed barrel and finally a delayed blowback in several variations. This process began in 1896 and continued until around 1904 or 1905. Like many of its contemporaries, the Mannlicher was offered in both pistol and carbine configurations (either as a pistol with detachable stock or long-barrel carbine with a permanent stock).

Mannlicher M1901

The M1901 Mannlicher Self-Loading, Semi-Automatic Pistol was an early semi-automatic pistol design
(8 round)

Mannlicher 1901/04 Carbine

One of Ferdinand von Mannlicher’s very last firearms was an experimental 1901/04 carbine, scaled up from its original pistol cartridge to a new 7.63x32mm intermediate-sized cartridge.Mechanically, the gun is an evolution of his 1896/1901 automatic pistol and the 1901 carbine made from that pistol. It locks using a short recoil action and a pivoting locking block, not terribly unlike the C96 Mauser pistol. One of the shortcomings of the 1901 carbine was that the handguard was fixed to the recoiling barrel, so that a firm grip on the handguard would cause the gun to malfunction. The 1901/04 variant of the carbine fixed that issue by connecting the front handguard to the trigger frame, which did not move during cycling.

Sjögren shotgun

The Sjögren Inertia Shotgun is a 12-Gauge semi-automatic shotgun that was designed by the Swedish inventor Carl Axel Theodor Sjögren, initially manufactured by AB Svenska Vapen- och Ammunitionsfabriken in Sweden and then by Håndvåbenværkstederne Kjøbenhavn in Denmark. It used an inertia system later revived by the Italian firm Benelli and today widely used in shotguns(5 round internal mag)

Sjögren rifle

The Sjögren rifle was a Swedish prototype self-loading rifle that was designed by Carl Sjögren.
The Sjögren rifle was developed in the early 1900s and marketed along with a companion shotgun. It was examined by the Automatic Rifle Committee in Britain in 1908 but was not considered for adoption by any country. Only a few prototypes were ever made.(5 round internal mag)

AK44 Copy of the SVT(swiss)

The Swiss factories of SIG and W+F Bern both produced a remarkable number and variety of experimental self-loading rifles in the 1920s, 30s, 40s, and 50s. Nothing would be adopted by the Swiss military until the StG-57, but these two firms were continuously working to develop a military self-loader for either Swiss or foreign purchase almost form the end of the First World War.

This example from W+F Bern, designated the AK-44 (for its design date, 1944) is not so much a new experimental design but rather a very faithful copy of the Soviet SVT-40 rifle. It uses a mechanically identical tilting bolt and short stroke gas piston, and even shares the metal front handguard, muzzle brake design, and simple manual safety of the Tokarev – although chambered for the Swiss 7.5x55mm cartridge and using a 6-round magazine instead of the Soviet 10-round type (almost certainly because of the Swiss use of 6-round charger clips).

Multiple different variations on the AK-44 were made, with variations in the muzzle configuration (SVT-40 type in this case; others had K31 configurations, FG-42 configurations, and more). Several different types of optical sight were also experimented with on the AK-44, including a German style mount for a ZF-4 type scope on a side rail, and a Swiss periscopic optic in this case – the same pattern as the Swiss K31/42 and K31/43 snipers’ rifles.

Spanish Sistema MR 1932

The rifle was designed by two officers at the Oviedo arsenal (which you may recognize from the markings on many Spanish Mauser rifles) by the names of Mariñas and Ramirez de Arellano in 1932. It was chambered for the 7x57mm Mauser cartridge, which was standard for the Spanish armed forces at the time, and held 10 rounds in a double-stack box magazine (reloaded by stripper clips).
Caliber: 7x57mm Mauser
Magazine Capacity: 10 rounds
Operating System: Gas trap
Weight: 9.5lb (4.3kg)
Overall Length: 45.5 in (1155mm)
Barrel Length: 21.6 in (550mm)
Rifle: 4 grooves, righthanded

Lets stop with semi-autos I have few remaining well maybe this isn’t last axis post

Gewehr m.98 with Glasvisier 16

It looks like ACOG but its not

Mauser fortress rifle

The Mauser fortress rifle was a prototype semi-automatic wall gun designed and produced by Mauser
The rifle was designed around 1912 by Paul and Wilhelm Mauser based on their prior recoil-operated rifles. The weapon was tested but numerous problems ensued with the rifle; a communiqué was later issued to Mauser, requesting them to modify the rifles by improving their reliability and other aspects as they were “urgently needed” at the time. No further improvements appear to have been made and other details appear to have been lost.
Those ring triggers remind me of Austrian manual pistols let me add one of those here,too but before that

Milanese 7mm Pinfire Saber-Revolver

Schulhof Model 1887

Josef Schulhof was the the first and most prolific designer of manually operated pistols in Austria in the 1880s. For a brief few years, there was a lot of developmental work done in this field, comparable really only to the American Volcanic system. The Austrian pistols were more practical, and as they still predated the development of any practical self-loading pistols, there was a chance that they could have become commercially relevant. This did not actually happen, of course, as any advantages they offered over revolvers were still better in the crop of self-loaders that emerged in the late 19890s.

Schulhof’s first pistols were patented in 1884, and he experimented with a variety of locking system and magazine systems. This example is an 1887 type, with a spring-loaded rotating bolt and a 6-round rotary magazine. It was intended to be fired from an open bolt, rather like a double-action revolver – but it could be carried with the chamber loaded an a manual safety engaged.

Suomi M/31 korsu

Based on the well-known M/31, it was designed for use in bunkers. The pistol grip made it more compact and the sights were moved to the side of the barrel to allow aiming through narrow ports. The end of the barrel was also thinner for that reason. 500 were built in 1941.

BĹ‚yskawica

The Błyskawica (by-ska-vi-tsa , lit. “lightning”) is a Polish submachine gun designed from 1942 to 1943 by Wacław Zawrotny and Seweryn Wielanier and produced by the Armia Krajowa from 1943 to 1944. An example of an insurrectionist submachine gun, the Błyskawica was intended to be covertly mass-produced in various workshops around Warsaw.(9×19mm Parabellum /32 round/600 rpm)

Bergmann MP32

(Short barrel 200mm)

(long barrel 320 mm with bayonet)
The MP32 (also known as the Bergmann Machine Pistol 32 or BMP32) was designed by Emil Bergmann in Denmark. The first batch of guns were made by the Danish firm Shulz & Larsen, and adopted by the Danish military (in 9mm Bergmann caliber, matching their Bergmann M1910/21) handguns). Bergmann improved the design and introduced the MP34 in 1934, and this model was ordered in large numbers by Germany and manufactured by Walther. Further improvements to allow better mass production were introduced as the MP35 and MP35/I.

The Bergmann MP32 has several features that distinguish it from other guns of the time. First, it uses a magazine mounted on the right side of the receiver and ejects on the left side (the reverse is much more common on submachine guns). Second, it has a bolt handle located at the very back end of the receiver, which is rotated up to the vertical position and pulled back to operate (similar to the Hotchkiss Portative). Thirdly, it has a trigger that appears to be skeletonized.
The trigger mechanism of the MP32 allowed the shooter to fire single shots by pulling the trigger partway back, and full auto fire by pulling the trigger fully to the rear. On the original MP32 version, the safety was located at the rear of the receiver, to be operated by the firing hand. In later refinements (the MP34 and MP35) the safety was moved up to the side of the action, to be operated by the support hand. In addition, the MP32 used a proprietary box magazine (32 round capacity), which standard Schmeisser MP28 mags would replace on later variants. Two barrel lengths were available from the factory, a 200mm and a longer 320mm with a bayonet lug.

Star Model Z-45

The Star Model Z-45 is a Spanish submachine gun manufactured by Star Bonifacio Echeverria, derived from the German MP 40.
30round/450RPM

Genoves-revelli semi auto rifle

The Italian Army in the late 19th and early 20th century was experimenting with new forms of warfare; they were among the first to utilize aircraft and armoured cars in battle. In the early 1900s they made tests of several self-loading rifles, including the selective-fire Cei-Rigotti, the Freddi, and the Ricci. In particular, there was a desire to equip the Bersaglieri , Italy’s mobile cyclist infantry, with an automatic infantry rifle to compensate for the fact that machine-guns were too heavy for them to effectively transport.
In response to this, a self-loading, recoil-operated conversion of the standard Carcano 6.5mm rifle was patented by Filippo Genovesi in 1905. This rifle operated on a rotating bolt with a series of locking lugs around the bolt head. The design was further refined at the Terni National Rifle Factory under the direction of Col. Abiel Revelli, who was responsible for most of the Italian Army’s automatic weapons including the Glisenti pistol, FIAT-Revelli machine gun, and later the Villar Perosa submachine gun. Tests were carried out by the Bersaglieri in 1908 - 1909 and by 1910, the Italian government decided to order some 6,000 Genovesi rifles, to be manufactured at Terni for the cost of over one million Lira.

The Genovesi rifle was by this time known interchangeably as the Genovesi-Revelli or the Revelli-Terni, and a preliminary batch of 150 were delivered to the Bersaglieri in 1911. These rifles actually did apparently see combat use in Libya during the Italo-Turkish War (1911 - 1912), but performed so poorly in the desert that the entire order was prematurely cancelled before the 6,000 guns could be produced. This was around the exact same time that Mexico was fielding the MondragĂłn rifle.

I think that’s enough for now I have some weapons left that I did not suggest so I guess this is not end for Axis weapons.Hope you enjoyed it

4 Likes

heart pistols and pistol carbines the more the merrier

Very fun reading this post! Very neat!

why is this here? wouldn’t it make more sense for it to be an alllied or a soviet weapon than german?

2 Likes

I’d give it to the Western Allies as it is based on the Sten, and because it was mainly used in the Warsaw Uprising, which the Soviets sabotaged. Soviets can get the Bechowiec and Choroszmanów seeing as they were used by communist partisans. All as event weapons of course, because who doesn’t like some more unique nationalities.

Nah I would not still warsaw was German territory even during warsaw uprising and seeing that it was put down means Germans captured polish homemade weapons and I wouldn’t give it to soviets but if you are looking fo polish gun for Allies Jurek MK 1 is the one you should look at I did suggest it in one of my topics it was made by a polish officer in British army

inb4 next post be like
look at all these guns:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wikipedias
https://guns.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page
https://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Category:Gun
https://thinlineweapons.com/SAI/05.html
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/
https://modernfirearms.net/en/
https://www.reddit.com/r/ForgottenWeapons/
https://www.youtube.com/@ForgottenWeapons/videos

Im confused I didn’t understand the sarcasm would you mind explaining?

Fair, but they’ve already gotten the Browning wz. 1928 and Mors. The Jurek is some experimental trash that can be saved for when the game is about to die.

Maybe but I still feel it should be a Axis weapon none the less doesn’t matter as long as I can play with the gun

It’s just that you’re posting long lists of experimental, unproven, and unrelated firearms that can be found on such websites. Most probably won’t be added in the foreseeable future. But I understand that not everyone has the time to dig through the internet, so these posts can be helpful for other people when they make their own suggestions. Right now I am digging through a lot of these sites to propose a dozen or so themed battle pass seasons while prioritizing historical authenticity.

It’s just an average gun that performs similarly to the MP 40. It would be much cooler to have a unique squad with it for the whole experience. That’s my opinion anyway.

Ho-Ri ? and even considering that most of these are GO that means they wont need to be historically accurate since we have half made condors in game which was finished by Americans though to each their own I am eagerly waiting for your post

I assume you’re referring to my Japan BR IV-V post (which I am working on updating currently :wink:). That post is not related to my battle pass suggestion so I am not sure why you brought it up. Anyhow the Ho-Ri was already confirmed, and liberties are often necessary for gameplay.

I am aware, but at least it is not from post-war Spain.

It certainly won’t be 100% authentic, but I will prioritize authenticity as mentioned.

Designed 1942–1945
That was why I put it in but if that’s bothering you sure I can change it its not like I have ran out of ideas
like I could change it to Walther SMG1918/1 and 2 or mannlicher 1882 which is fed from top of the barrel like Experimental M1903 which we had in game or A.T.M38 which is estonian prototype SMG

I’m not bothered at all, I just don’t see it being added in the foreseeable future given the existence of more relevant options. I have nothing against these posts of yours. I just shared what I think about them. The “inb4” comment was just a joke, and you might find benefit from the links. Something interesting I noticed is that Wikipedia in different languages has more information about different topics. Such as the Japanese Wikipedia, it has a lot of information on weapons that I’ve never heard of.

1 Like