Greyzone Overhauls, both for infantry and tanks

The greyzone can be an annoying mechanic, but in some cases it is also necessary. On one hand it is intended to keep players from being able to spawnkill, but its also heavily abused by tanks. Hopefully these suggestions will help with the overall balance of the game, both for offense and defense.

Greyzone Total Boundaries
Many of us have made the arguments that we need larger maps. I for one 100% agree. A lot more area needs to be opened up with which to operate. Larger areas to the sides plus more area between objectives and spawns.

While some may argue that this would require them to entirely change maps, I would disagree. There are many maps that only use 1/3 - 1/2 of the available map, if that. Opening that area up would be very helpful.
Beyond that, the only thing that would really need to change is the objective locations. These would need to be very carefully picked, and be relatively small (instead of taking up large swathes of area, it should be INSIDE a building, or in an area that is defendable using fortification methods).

• In a lot of maps, there are vantage points that are currently not being utilized within map boundaries, leading to players sniping or providing other support from their greyzones. If these areas (hillsides, church towers, other tall buildings) were within zone, had good vantage points into lanes of fire (either the objective or major alleys leading up to it), it would greatly help to move players forward out of the greyzone, as well as allow for a larger mix of tactics.

Greyzone Change between Objectives
Currently, one of the major issues is that attackers can push directly from the previous objective directly to the next one, not allowing defenders to regroup and fortify. Additionally, it has been noted that some defenders stay as long as they can to antagonize attacking forces in their spawn.

The solution to this is a combination of elements:

• When the objective falls, the attacker greyzones do not move initially, they are not allowed to push forward for a short period of time.

• The defenders greyzone on the front begins to slowly roll back. Forcing defenders to withdraw from the area progressively, rather than all at once that it currently is.

• Once the Defenders line has fully pulled back, THEN the area opens for the attackers, which will have made them fully regroup and prepare a large wave of attack.

• During this in between phase, attackers ticket loss is HALVED, making it less detrimental to them while they regroup and wait, yet still encouraging small skirmishes along the edge.

Time Spent in Friendly Greyzone (Infantry)
Infantry should be given adequate time to vacate the greyzone, but definitely NOT be allowed to stay in it indefinitely.
(While some people have argued that they shouldn’t be able to shoot while in the greyzone, that is simply ridiculous. After all, they would need to fight their way out in some cases.)

• With the increase in map size and the availability of other prime locations, It would be likely there would no longer be a need to hide in the greyzone.

That said, limiting players to about a minute or so in the greyzone seems fair, but with an exception: If they are taking fire from enemies, while they are still trying to spawn in, then the timer to leave the greyzone is extended, allowing them to fight their way out.

Time Spent in Friendly Greyzone (Tanks)
Arguably one of the most aggravating issues with the game currently is greyzone tanks. Very hard to kill, but very devastating effect.

Similar to the suggestion for infantry, they should be allowed a minute or two to leave the greyzone, unless they come under fire, at which time they are allowed more time.

• The difference however is that since they need to be able to rearm, they should only be able to re-enter the greyzone when they are at 25% or less of their maximum ammo capacity for their primary gun.
    They would be given adequate time to rearm and leave the greyzone again.

With these changes, I think that many of the current issues will be resolved in a fair manner for both offense and defense.

Sorry for the long read, and no pictures.

7 Likes

That’s good and all but leaving the grey zone is basically a death sentence for a tank with how many anti tank weapons which are in the game now.

Trust me, I know.
You know my thoughts on explosive packs (they need to be drastically changed or removed entirely), but I don’t think that change will come until tanks are actually forced to move forward.

THEN, when the numbers are extremely obvious, then changes will be made accordingly.

1 Like

thanks to the paratroopers tanks lives are living hell if it wasn’t bad enough already So it’s not just Explosive packs you have to worry about now

1 Like

I get what you are saying, but in the same token, paratroopers spending their spawn on killing a tank rather than pushing the objective seems like a valuable diversion to me.

Since you’ve been running with your friends and you’ve seen how it looks when you’ve been the Soviets on the attack the defenders lives are honestly living hell and tanks lives won’t be much better if they fight death stacks.

Honestly that’s kind of a 50/50. Tanks CAN put in some serious damage. Though through coordination they can be easily dispatched.

We’ve actually been working on some new tactics that seem to be working rather well to help tanks move up to the frontlines. Radio Operators with Smoke Barrages and Mortars dropping smoke to stop the enemies from being able to mark tanks effectively seems to have around a 60% success rate. However, I would definitely like to see buffs to smoke equipment.

1 Like

Easy problems requier easy solutions.
Not unneccesary complex plans.
Tanks meant to fight in long engagement distances.
So expand the maps and make everyone happy.

1 Like

Agree
Smoke shells should create 1.5Ă—2 times larger fog and rest longer

1 Like

Contrary to what so many people on here say, if you look at the historical records, about half of the tanks in the game were actually designed to help spearhead operations. Pushing in close and helping to push through areas that were too dangerous for infantry to enter by themselves.

They were on the frontlines in many occasions. However in reality, explosive packs and kamikaze attacks weren’t so common, making them actually effective when they were pushing.

2 Likes

they should only be able to re-enter the greyzone when they are at 25% or less of their maximum ammo capacity for their primary gun

If it ever came to pass, I would change it to at least 50% or when one of the main ammo types are exhausted, seeing as currently tanks come equipped 50/50 with AP/HE ammo and shooting AP rounds at infantry wouldn’t really help the team.

1 Like

I dont think you understand what “cqc” means for ww2 standarts
Average tank to tank engagement distance in ww2 :500 -1000 meters
Average infantry to infantry engagement distance: 300 meters

1 Like

You can get that type of stuff in the big action mod unfortunately it’s not been put into public rotation yet.

People treating tanks like cavalry is the cringiest thing ever

2 Likes

And I don’t think you are understanding what I am referring to. I’m not saying tank vs tank engagements occurring at close distance, I’m talking about tank vs position/ fortified area distance. They were literally used to push through areas that were mined with AP mines, barbwire, sandbag walls, barricaded streets, etc.
Even to shield friendly infantry from machinegun fire as they pushed through.

1 Like

And more shameless advertising for the big action mod again and sorry in advance but you can do a lot of stuff in that mod.

You can do all this type of amazing stuff and the big action mod and he even supports premium equipment as well like the tanks for example with rockets.

I know, I’m not opposed to the mod, its quite good. However, my aim with this post is to improve STANDARD lobbies.

1 Like

Well then you can maybe use train mode because it doesn’t seem to be much problem there with the grey zone or some of the giant conquest maps.

What part of

Do you not understand?

I’m not looking for just one specific map, or mod. The suggestion is to help ALL maps, in STANDARD lobbies.

When I’m talking about conquest or train mode I’m saying we should try taking the Grey zone from those game modes and putting in all the other game modes.