Rocket Artillery Radio Call-In

Rocket Artillery would be a new Radio call-in. It’s features would be based on how they performed in real life during the war. Unlike regular artillery, it would have a larger radius, a shorter cooldown time, but would be very inaccurate and it’s projectile strikes would be random.

So regular artillery is good for absolutely bombarding a single area and destroying everything in it, while rocket artillery has a larger range and potential to reach targets in a wide area, but it’s random and inaccurate.

So they fulfill different roles and have different characteristics for choosing one or the other for the given moment

6 Likes

on principle i am against ideas that introduce even more HE spam into the game, but this has potential to become seriously OP arty strike.

average rocket has up to 3m blast radius with 10-40m fragmentation radius, so to be somewhat balanced it would need really big radius with limited rockets shot into it during strikes. even then it carries lots of damage potential.

That is on paper. I don’t really think rocket from the calliope and Panzerwerfer are considered OP.

2 Likes

they are not OP cause they are easily and quickly killed by enemy tanks. but i have seen them annihilate infantry and basically create zone of certain death to anyone approaching their LOS when left unchecked.

That is for the situation where they can land their rocket accurately.
Some random inaccurate landed rocket won’t have such effect.

3 Likes

Its a war game, I love all the destruction and chaos!

You are acting like those numbers are somewhat extremely high.

They’re nothing in comparison to basically all bombs that are heavier than 50kg.

So I really don’t understand what’s your point. But I think rocket artillery is unnecessary. It would do the same thing as current classic art. Just with slightly different visuals.

1 Like

Plus I know it goes without saying but, this is a great WW2 sandbox shooter and who wouldn’t want the iconic and infamous rocket artillery
Katyusha rocket artillery on Make a GIF

1 Like

goood idea, but it will contradict with gajjin’s premium vehicle like panzerwerfer ,callopie,etc.

compare it to arty bombers. how many bombs to they drop? how long is wait time? does it have counter? what is the size of drop area? you remember how OP they were when they first came out?

It would not because they have different functions and roles to play. A rocket vehicle can provide direct infantry support but it is vulnerable to enemy attack, plus with the way vehicle slots work there is no guarantee you will have one as well as every player is fighting for the 2 slots

While Rocket Artillery is one of various choices for a Radio to call, has a timer cooldown, the radius basically acts as an area of denial weapon

Its kind of the same deal as using a plane vs the bombing run call in.

Its basically strategic vs tactical

They weren’t OP. They were pretty fine. Especially since we had the strong AA back then. People were just lazy to use them.
And because of anti HE crybabies bombing raids were nerfed into oblivion.

To the point where everyone is triggered that they can’t use artillery when some noob call in bombing raid.
Now they are effectively just sabotaging their own team.

they were OP on open maps and pretty meh on urban maps. i remember getting 20-30+ kills with one bombing run on some maps.

btw building AA requires to basically suicide any squad you have at that time to actually get in time for respawn timer+building AA to kill those bombers.

more artillery only makes sense if there’s a better destruction and/or better sense of “this building will provide cover”, “this building will not”, and basically a hundred other balancing issues that all go back to the matchmaker.

I fully support this, but moreover i would like to see the BM-13 or BM-8-48 maybe even the BM-31-12.

1 Like

Katyushas should be added as ground vehicles as well

So what is your proposed counter play to the rocket strike? Abandon the current cap and regroup at the next? Wait and prey to RNGesus that the rocket wont hit anywhere near you?

The artillary is focused enoght that you could just vacate the area and just wait it out without having to cede to much ground to the enemy.
But if you double the diameter of the call-in you would need to cede even more area to the enemy.

What you proposed just isnt fun for both sides.
Having your entire team wiped due to RNG is terrible but calling in a getting screwed by the same RNG does feel terrible aswell.

I look at it like this, every second counts in battle and the situation is constantly evolving. Whether one waits out artillery or charges into the objective depends on so many factors.

A regular artillery strike is a valuable tool and will wipe out most enemies on point but artillery isn’t always the end all be all. I’m sure everyone has had long slugging matches where both sides are lobbing artillery strikes over and over again on the single objective as they fight. Sometimes those 2 minutes (or whatever it is) can be the most grueling 2 minutes ever, waiting for a chance to play the artillery card again in hopes it can turn the tide. The same goes for bombing runs

With Rocket Artillery, a given enemy may have a higher percent chance of surviving a strike but it covers a wider area so it’s not easy to just wait it out a few feet away. So the enemy may still hold on the objective but then it is left up to fate where the rockets will land. And since it has a shorter cooldown time than regular artillery this means you will be able to call down this support more often than regular artillery which also means the enemy will have to deal with this threat more often

The point is that both artillery types have pros and cons when weighing our options.

Also just saying all the factions of WW2 utilized gun and rocket artillery because they each have their uses. It would be great to have it in game as well

Plus its good for adding variety to the Radio Operator class so they have various options for support.

So no counter play got it…
This will be so much “fun”.

In my view I see the randomness and size is the counter play. Since it covers a larger area the enemy is likely to still hold on the objective but then they are leaving it up to fate if they get hit and it will be launched more often than regular artillery. Plus because of its size it could potentially hit targets outside the objective area

But that’s just my view