Heavy Bomber Planes, A Bombing Run Overhaul

There are 3 main types of bomber planes, light, medium, and heavy. Their class denotes their payload capacity and their operational role. Light and medium bombers primarily provide close air support and tactical actions. Heavy bombers primarily perform strategic actions and are meant to survive serious resistance. If there’s an enemy column heading straight towards your objective you use a light/ medium bomber. If you want to destroy your enemy’s industry, infrastructure, and resources you use a heavy bomber.

In game light and medium bombers are grouped into the Attack Plane family slot. This obviously makes sense for the intense close quarters tactical combat in a game such as ours. However I feel in a WW2 game such as ours it’s great to have as many of the iconic weapons, vehicles, etc from the greatest and largest war in all history. More toys for the sandbox the merrier. But I don’t think we would ever get any of the iconic Heavy Bombers of WW2 as playable vehicles. I just don’t see them ever letting us, humorously, providing close air support with a B29.

But there is another way for this iconic class of plane being implemented in game… Radio Operator Bombing Runs. Currently every faction’s bombing runs are just a squadron of medium bombers, some of them already playable vehicles in game. I’ve even said when will they add some of the ones that aren’t as playable vehicles

Anyway, I think Bombing Runs could be overhauled to be Heavy Bomber planes instead.

Bombing runs are an overlooked mechanic already. They have the capability to damage a very large area, wipe out enemies waiting in the flanks, and even destroy enemy fortifications. There have even been complaints here that Bombing runs aren’t good enough for what they do

Well in addition to changing the Bombing runs to be heavy bombers instead, their payloads could also be increased so they are more stronger. Not to mention Bombing runs are easily shot down so in turn the new Heavy plane bombing run would be stronger making it more of a challenge to fight, and feeling like more of a victory when you shoot one down.

The new Heavy bombers would be as follows. Also, theoretically other Heavy Bomber planes could be added as a sort of “customization” or as an option for variety. Maybe sometimes I feel like calling in a squadron of B17s, others a B24……or even a B29. Or the devs could just choose one and make it the official definitive bombing run plane. Just sayin

US
B-17 Flying Fortress

B-24 Liberator

UK (called by British Radio squads)
Avro Lancaster

Halifax

Soviets
Pe-8

TB-3

Germany
He 177 Greif

Japan
Ki-20

3 Likes

4 Likes

That’s more of a medium bomber, and I think they should finally give Japan some traditional bombers

Game needs Heavy/medium bombers in general, not just in bombing runs…

Slow, obsolete and not in War Thunder.

G5N
This is more like it and it is in War Thunder.

yup,somdthing like ju but oh well

To be fair we are using lots of plenty of prototype, experimental, and even antiquated weapons in game so I don’t think that makes a difference

I have always said that this game shouldn’t 101% rely on Warthunder for content because I am sure there are lots of vehicles that don’t fit Warthunder’s model or may not be in that game yet or may never be added; that would work in this game and should be added

I’m not saying that we shouldn’t add vehicles from Warthunder because obviously I and everyone knows that the teams are somewhat connected in some way, I just mean that we shouldn’t be entirely dependent on Warthunder itself

I don’t know if that’s Warthunder’s devs or whoever makes their models gets contracted to make vehicles for this game specifically, like flamethrower vehicles

That certainly is a candidate for Japan’s heavy bomber

I am saying that it suck comparing to others.

They did add vehicles that doesn’t work in War Thunder like Stalingrad flame thrower tank and APC.
The point is why should dev waste time on making new model when War Thunder already have similar stuff? There is tons of stuff from War Thunder that can be added.

yes we need 5 heavy bombers that will each drop 1 50kg bomb over very large area.

do you remember why they nerfed current bombers into oblivion?

The problem is the play ground is way too small for tank and dog fight.