Night warfare

What do you want for the next map?
I want a night battle map. The surroundings would be pitch black, with flares launched periodically to illuminate random hits and reveal what is lurking there. Since it is a night battle, the silhouettes of friend and foe are not displayed unless they are very close to each other.
These maps would be more fun with low BR… Imagine, you are a Marine, holding a machine gun in a foxhole. You notice a shadow hovering among the jungle trees, but you have no idea what it is. Is it an enemy or a friend?
As the flares go up, you finally realize it is a Japanese soldier creeping toward you with a bayonet at the ready!
Open fire!

I read Eugene Sledge’s biography of Peleliu Island and was deeply impressed. I also saw the HBO drama “The Pacific” based on it. The drama was not quite what I expected, but the scenes of the night battle of Guadalcanal were still wonderful.
I would like to relive “The Pacific” in a game.

Also, I would like to see the addition of the M1917 Browning machine gun, an iconic machine gun in the Pacific.
Its performance is probably inferior to the M1919.

E7MojkWVUAMV3wi

I hope the developers will consider this suggestion.

12 Likes

as someone who already experience “night battle” every time my game hang i will say this: it is pretty immersive but man it super hard to see anything, anyone and road these 3 thing are the hardest thing to see in night battle.

but let me be clear: im not against it but with how little amount of light there are it pretty hard to see

1 Like

It is a totally expected reaction. Everyone says it.
At night it is too dark to see your opponent. Exactly, that is what night battles are about.
Rising Storm1 and 2 had excellent, immersive night battle maps. Hard to see but fun.
I wouldn’t mind having that in this game.

i mean sure i play mod with night map on and it make it pretty immersive so i dont mind. they probably could experiment by making it an april fool event i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DPWnqY8hJE

Night maps were tested in other games and players did not like them, they were using graphics filters to adjust brightness back to normal.

yea that what i thought people might do

In the past Berlin beta test, there were night battles. The only fixed light sources on the scene were indoor and destructible street lights. The battle distance in the wild was very close, and the AI ​​fight better than the players.
Missed very much.

As mentioned above, main problem with night battles are ppl using filters and other stuff to make the night brighter and see more than other players.

But I wonder if it can be solved/worked around.
What if during night battles, all enemy soldiers’ textures were transparent and become visible in light and near you? Kind of like a fog of war but more gradual instead of popping into existence. You can’t abuse filters to see enemies in the dark if they are invisible.
The nights would have to be really dark to hide this “fog of war” effect so it isn’t super obvious like in some other games. So as long as you don’t use any filters etc. you shouldn’t tell a difference.
Also some icon notifying that you are visible would be needed to avoid “he shouldn’t have seen me, I was hidden” situations.

Yes, it’s a very arcade and artificial mechanic but if we get “realistic” looking/feeling night battles thanks to it, it’s worth a try imo.

7 Likes

for that we need flashights

1 Like

pitch dark night battles would probably be better in custom games.
I would like night battles because changing day time and weather makes the game more immersive, but the night shouldnt limit visibility that much.

2 Likes

in past game have dinamic weather but people cry enough for remove it

On several maps in Moscow, I saw the game begin at dawn with a dim overcast sky and clear skies over time. The sky was beautiful as it turned red with the morning glow. Stalingrad and Berlin were also wonderful when overcast with rain.
The environmental presentation of the game is very nice and beautiful.
I hope they will make more use of it in the game to entertain us.

3 Likes

If the ai get limited so it doesnt instant kill on 100yards + i think night battle could be really fun :smiley: adding flare guns, torches lights etc to illuminate the night that could be fun :smiley: and ofc. Those light can get put out by destruction etc.

1 Like

welll…

it always come down to a simple question…

would you like to get shot by AIs during the night without knowing where by who?

you either make it early in the morning ( which means, artificial light, and essentially everything blue )

or… pitch dark black where you gotta hope there will be enough lights to get through the match and see just enough to kill someone. but to be quite honest, the AI will do all the work since they don’t relay on luminosity vision ( therefore having no issues " working " at night ).

i guess you could make it like WT where you have occasional flares that lights up the area.

but then what would be the point of fighting there if day maps can do just the same but won’t be a nuisance.

p.s. good luck driving your tank or vehicle at night among the stucking rubbles etc.
you’ll might get access to working lights ( which aren’t a thing ), but then you will be easy pray.

1 Like

Night maps shouldn’t meant that you dont see anything. Losers could always jsur out gamma a little bit higher.

All I wanr from night maps is darkblue filter for proper atmosphere. It doesn’t have to influence gameplay in any way.

2 Likes

They can make nighttime maps; they just choose not to because it would require them to make a moon and add lights.

Edson’s Ridge, Matanikau, Guam, and Papua New Guinea

1 Like

which defeat the whole purpose of a night map.

doesn’t it.

if anyone can just straight up use/find " workaround "

RO2 Guadalcanal

Literally this.

1 Like

Should we nerf them as well?

i remember playing on custom games with night time battle mod and it was okay I suppose, I could see everything quite alright.