New type of squad - reserve squad

Basically the original idea behind troopers, rather weak soldiers but higher numbers.

So I propose a zerg rush poor trained and equipped 12 man squad that only has access to basic rifles. Also they lack access to the best perks like vitality and recoil controll.

Also while at it a new class of weapon can be created specifically for this squad, reserve weapons which would be at low BR poor quality bolt action rifles - while at higher battle rating weapons like the poor Volkssturmgewehr and M1 Carbines and maybe at max BR poor quality improvised late war SMGs.

What are your thoughts?

4 Likes

And again, this new class of squad and weapons could justify late war poor gear to still stick to higher BRs, so that we don’t see Volkssturm gear pop up in Stalingrad.

DF: give them all FG42s and we have a deal

6 Likes

Yeah, how about not making the same mistake twice…

1 Like

To be fair though, that way troopers can absolutely stay strong and keep functioning as riflemen - all-rounders that are better at medium distance than Assaulters.

If you need to change a weapon class to stay competetive, this means your game is poorly balanced and you need to rethink your decisions.

4 Likes

i like the concept,

but, unironically, i can see it becoming meta.

sure, your smg might get half of my squad, but i have the other half.

like, for this being somewhat of a " meme " and struggle, they should all be equipped with kriegsmodells kar 98s or similar variant for the allies ( which there aren’t many. perhaps the starter mosin from moscow might be on par ish )

because having many numbers is quite a substantial advantage even if those have crappy weapons.

i’d be in favor, but that’s because it favors me as BA lover.

and… i’d recon i could be quite effective with it.

but, that wouldn’t make me the only one.

3 Likes

I don’t know, some weapons can have the right to be worse as long as there is some other upside to this - like bigger squad size.

Also FG is in top 10 worst picks for this kind of thing.
They should have chosen stg. At least it would make more sense.

3 Likes

We were in this place before. And it all went to hell.
So I don’t see why it would be any different now.

It surely can be, i would argue that a good player can indeed still come out on top with worse weapons, yet having a bigger squad size doesn’t really make your AI stronger, the real benefit would be in quick capturing or in having too many targets for the enemy resulting in easier break throughs for pioneers - at the normany beaches for example.

I don’t see this as broken, but indeed very useful in many situations.

i’m gonna have one of my usual " whataboutism " ( sorry… )

but…

we’re always in the same territory of giving strong tools to veterans and what not.

i’m not sure it’s a good idea.

could be for new players, and i would like those be available for them.

but on the other hand, a veteran like me with bolt actions ( even with kriegsmodel )

people thinks i’m joking when i said that i used kriegsmodell standard squad in berlin, but that’s actually how i made at least 25 levels with it:

could somewhat destroy the enemy team.

granted, one player cannot turn the tides of a battle on her/his own.

but with the help of others, and as you said, zerg.

i’d say zerg in many occasions works as long the distance between the rally point and the objective is short.
even if people are not generally, good, pile up manpower on points to prevent capture or actually stack guys for capture the point, it’s kinda too much.

heck, even chuck 12 grenades, and then rush with bolt actions tactic would somewhat even be stronger than just 9 mens…

i’d say it’s too much strong.

again, i would love it, but i’d recon it would be kinda too much.

so, if it has to come, perhaps as a premium squad, but nothing else.

at least, in my opinion-

( but having my 12 volkssturmers in a squad sure does sound nice and would love it )

1 Like

That is actually a good point, in the end they would still be able to carry basic equipment- tho this could also be adjusted in"some way".

Still think about the possibilities, like squad customization for example, having the abilities to trade that one Assaulter in your trooper squad for two reserve soldiers?

Or being able to simple brake the Assaulter Meta to begin with doesn’t sound at least like it would be worth a try? : D

No if the alternative is 3x12 grenades.

1 Like

Okay well how about only “improvised” grenades for them then? Like a nerfed version of molotov for example?

oh trust me… i’m all for it.

especially since end tiers will be nightmares. and generally, a game of competition rather than play with what you want for fun. ( you will still be able to … but at a high cost for your mental sanity… i’m still scarred by tunisia axis. i have never experienced something worse. despite having played pacific allies on my own with sweat jap lord. i don’t remember being painfull as tunisia. maybe i just dislike tunisia… dunno )

although, it would somewhat break the balance in the middle tiers ( of the supposedly upcoming merge )

that’s what somewhat worries me a bit.

i would do that, but it would benefit me.

as i can simply place my 12 man squad in a wall

and go one by one claring the point for then recalling my squad to capture faster.

another issue that i forgot to mention, the UI it’s somewhat of a nightmare with 12 soldiers lol
( but that’s minor )

( this is on a wide monitor btw. let alone smaller ones. also, courtesy and screenshot of Devenddar. )

i would love it, again, you have no idea.

but it would break the balance.

so… perhaps rework trooper type III to be only 12 soldiers and nothing else?

could be a start.

1 Like

Also no pistols or backpacks - but something else to make up for that.

Also, I already do this because AI is too weak to get anything done on their own.

Besides the faster capturing I would still pick assaulters for that purpose, in the end no matter how good you are, clearing the objective also needs to be done.

Considering how so many people die in mass with even standard troops, i feel like this would just drain team resources (lives) even faster.

Also, Rifleman squad of 9 soldiers already exists.

I don’t think this reserve squad (in its described state) is a needed or good idea.
Back to the drawing board!

Its still not really publicly known how the ticket system works to begin with, someone told me once and it was confusing.

If it would count per soldier than that system would already be pretty stupid.

Each respawn should cost the same tickets, regardless of tank, trooper or sniper squad.