Faction Subtree Mechanic Proposal Part 2

It’s not like you have a choice of maps now or the nations that you face, but I understand your point. This issue is made redundant if you have a veto function of maps which could in turn be mitigated further by adding, like @Gef019 proposed, more maps where minor nations played a role. For Germany’s allies you have the entire eastern front campaign, including later years with operation Bagration and the many sieges of Germany’s fortress cities like Budapest.

1 Like

I did not mean to include any rifles from outside the time period, which one are you referring to and from what tree?

Nice.
But what about Yugoslavia? Both Royals and Communists.

the national spanish CB-57 (as is the final name of that prototype gun), first variant of it ,CB-51, fired 7.92 mauser, the second version was using a lengthened mauser round 7.92x40 before deciding to follow nato Standard 7.62x51for CB-52 and CB-57 though this rifle apparently lost to the CETME 58 rifle which itself is a battle rifle based upon the STG45

1 Like

I tried to include all the nations I could that had enough equipment for it. I did take a look at yugoslavia but I could only find that they mostly used captured or donated equipment. Do you think they have enough unique guns/tanks/planes for a tree?

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/rifles/caldaza-bayo-cb-51/

From my research, I found the CB-51 and CB-52 experimental weapon variants were designed in 1943. I didn’t include the CB-57 in the tech tree.

1 Like

To be more clear, all I could find were a couple tank prototypes and bolt action rifles. I didn’t think a two branch tech tree would be very compelling, even in the subtree system.

1 Like

Well. I only knew about tanks designed or built by Sokda/ Czechs, but were exclusively used/ made for the Slavs such as the Š-II-j

and the T-32

They also made a single-engine fighter before the Axis forces invaded the Balkan.

Was hoping you would have found more. What a shame.

1 Like

the article does also mention that there isn’t a whole lot of information about it with the wiki (literally the only other source before google goes on repeat of first page) mentions it’s 7.62x51 nato

I didn’t know about the fighter, I would like to have included Yugoslavia if they had more equipment I knew about. But as it is, the best case scenario I can think of is Yugoslavia merging with Greece. Otherwise these vehicles would be premium/event stuff.

I don’t have time to get into the weeds on these guns, but at the very least I think the CB-51 100% qualifies to be added to the game as it is chambered in 7.92x33mm and was (probably) designed in 1943. I appreciate the scrutiny of the tech trees though.

1 Like

That is a solid argument. I hadn’t considered the impact on Soviet players who wouldn’t want to have their matchmaking skewed towards Stalingrad all the time. The system itself might also discourage players from making presets with squads from multiple faction due to the reduced map variety. The whole idea was to increase historical immersion and allow people to see the unique cosmetics their squads have (hungarian/italian squads would have german cosmetics on other maps). Maybe the better solution is just to include more maps where the cosmetics of minor nations would appear, like @Gef019 mentioned.

1 Like

That does indeed sound like the fairer solution. I’d say that to qualify for the soft-rule you’d need a minimum of 2-3 players (?) or the majority of the team having a specific nation, but this might get too complex when you have a mishmash of nations in your lineup or team (finnish + hungarian + slovakian troops). As you proposed, perhaps instead of map preference you’d have cosmetics of specific minor nations in the right theater present, all the while restricting certain maps to specific BRs (no Battle of France in T5 or Berlin in T2) and keeping certain theaters of war, for now, not present in the game (meaning no Winter War, despite having Finland as a minor nation, as it’d look a little off having Germans fighting the Soviets on the Mannerheim line), thus keeping minor axis nations as volunteers forces. Honestly I think the only issue with nation specific maps and customization that arises with this proposal are the 3 oddball nations of Finland, Greece and Spain as they’d end up most of the time wearing German and British uniforms respectively and their maps would always seem a little off (German troops in Finland, Americans in Spain or Greece).

1 Like

Greece doesn’t have it so bad, as they adopted adopted British uniforms after Greece fell. So Greek forces would make a lot of sense in british uniforms, plus they would get a special patch on their uniforms that they had when fighting in Tunisia. So they would only truly not have unique uniforms for low BR pacific and normandy.
0c4dae11773939.560fd11a6e04d
Spain is in a similar spot, at least for the nationalists. All that makes their uniform unique is the patches on their helmets and shirts, which they would only lose in Normandy and Tunisia. (Assuming Nationalist Spain would be introduced in a “Battle of Leningrad” update, where the Spanish volunteers were concentrated and not “Spanish Civilwar”).
Blue Division Spanish Volunteer

Finland is definitely the #1 oddball, with their uniforms being much more different to the uniforms of Germany.

I think I should also mention that some cosmetics would vary, even for the main factions. I think Americans would have to have British gear on Greek or French maps where they weren’t present. German troops in Finland makes sense if the maps are continuation war maps where Germany was present, otherwise Germany and all other axis nations would have to swap to Finnish uniforms in a winter war setting.

I should also make it clear that this is a very long term idea. The amount of work it would take to implement the framework and individual new nations would be a lot. So I would assume that each nation would be treated as a “new campaign” update, as seen in the 2023 roadmap for the game. So each new nation would come with a new map associated with it. What I am trying to get at is there shouldn’t be a situation where Finnish forces are in the game but no Finnish maps.

1 Like

Didn’t know about the Greeks and totally forgot about the Division Azul of Spain. I can also see the Spanish Civil War at BR 1-2 with Soviets and French volunteers (in time appropriate uniforms) vs Spanish Nationalists and German and Italian volunteers. The Invasion of Greece could be limited to a BR of 1-3. I find the solution of American forces wearing British gear where they did not fight a suitable compromise. As for Finland, it’d either go the same route or would be added at a much later date, once we reach a certain level of population, with great fanfare in an attempt to bring in more players to try an play Finland exclusively, either way it’s definitely the hardest one to add.

But I agree, the nations should be added progressively in a campaign system, with the simultaneous introduction of new maps. It’ll definitely happen in the future but the way it is done will be decisive. If they add as seperate main nations, seperating Germany and Italy from a unified faction tree for example, it’ll be yet another irreversible mistake from the game developers, heavily criticized and essentially dead on arrival.

1 Like

update:

Yugoslav tree for USSR

6 Likes

PS I think finland is missing its assault rifle proto??

4 Likes

I had no idea that existed lol. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

There are some cool weapons also for AR there is also AL-43 which uses intermediate cartridge

4 Likes

Theres a ton of possible guns missing from finnish tree, which are mentioned in topics regarding fins as subfaction.

3 Likes