Document about the so called Japanese assault rifle

First, 6.5x30mm Bullets are prepared for experimental Type 1 submachine gun.

Source: 14年式10糎高射砲仮制式外2件審議の件

About 20 Round magazine( Perhaps due to the shape of the ammunition, it cannot function when properly with more bullets inserted )
6-7RPS (360-420RPM)
I think it should stay in BR2-3, gold order.

11 Likes

91f038d99467c521b09ae1d699744dc7
Some scholars believe that it can load at least 30 bullets.

7 Likes

I’ve also seen claims of 35-round magazines, such as in one of the blogs found as a “source” at the bottom of the English Wikipedia (reference 9 is also quite descriptive). The information you present matches some of the information on the previous sources as well the information on the Japanese Wikipedia, which is somewhat reassuring. Maybe there were numerous magazines developed? Were there multiple attempts at developing SMGs in the Type 95 cartridge? How does this correspond with your data?

I would assume that whatever you are sharing is more accurate given it is written in the original language and found on actual archives rather than blogs. Unfortunately none of the blogs provide primary sources, and only claim that “Japanese documents say X and Y”. But it would also prove beneficial if you provide us details with what exactly the archives you shared are as we cannot easily translate Japanese. Apologies if I sound annoying, but this interests me. :joy:

1 Like

Also, is there any more information about the weapon such as the changes made to work with the new cartridge? As well as the performance of the cartridge? Developers would presumably need descriptive details for the model of the gun, if images can’t be found.

R bao has a point.

{05BC7B08-D49C-43ae-9C71-D97455180696}
Please note that this is a technical indicator and does not represent the final product

2 Likes

I have seen this information, we would still need more details on possible changes to the operation and dimensions of the firearm in order for it to function using the new cartridge, as well as the performance of the cartridge. So far, the only information I’ve come across about the performance of the Type 95 6.5×30mm cartridge is:
Mass: 7-7.5 grams
Muzzle Velocity: 550-600 m/s
Muzzle Energy: 1058.75-1350 J
But it was not from a primary source, so it cannot be confirmed.
EDIT: This performance also is somewhat contradictory to the low rate of fire in OP’s source. As such a powerful cartridge would be difficult to dampen using blowback operation.

I can only say that this type of experimental bullet was abandoned in the early stages of testing, and they were never taken seriously. The military chose 8x22mm Nambu bullet which they are already using.

1 Like

十分な威力を持つもので、侵徹効力は700メートルにおいて防寒被服着用の兵員に対し有効であること。
It has sufficient power, and the attack penetration effect must be effective against soldiers wearing winter clothing at a distance of 700 meters.

I mean, 6.5x30 sounds a lot like either an early PDW cartridge or a weakish assault rifle cartridge. I wouldn’t mind if they classified it as an assault rifle, I mean, I would love for the M2 Carbine to be reclassified as an assault rifle as well.

2 Likes

Japanese never designed a an assault rifle. Not even on paper.
Person who claims they did has no idea what assault rifle is and isnt

No one has referred to it as an assault rifle. It is just the most appropriate substitute for an assault rifle that Japan can get.

The jacar document you posted doesn’t specify if the 6.5 SMG is a Model 1 or Model 2.
A lot of people get confused by this because the design requirements existed before any guns using the 6.5 Type 95 cartridge were build.
I’ve not seen any evidence yet for a 6.5 Model 1 actually being build.

There is however evidence for a 6.5 Model 2 which I talk about in this post (further down in the sources)

1 Like