Yugoslavian Tech tree concept

This post builds on my other suggestion for subtrees for each factions, in this case it would be a subtree for the USSR.

Big thanks to @SzepWaxweiler for helping me find equipment for this tree. He found many of the SMGs and LMGs.

Yugoslavia would be a solid subtree for the Soviet Union due to their limited yet unique domestic equipment as well as their extensive modifications of captured/donated equipment.

There is a high quantity of very obscure weaponry in the SMG line for this tree, and I think it would be possible to move all of it to premium/event status without negatively impacting the tree too much. The nature of subtrees allows them to be smaller and not completely well rounded, the Soviets have plenty of good SMGs so the removal of Yugoslav supplemental SMGs would not be a big deal.

There is a good variety of potential cosmetics from the Yugoslav Royal Army and Partisan forces depending on how Yugoslavia would be implemented.

uniformes_52

Not included stuart modifications

The modified stuarts are my favorite part about the yugoslavia concept, there are two additional stuarts I am going to put here. Unfortunately, the historical authenticity of these are not as concrete as the other stuarts in the tech tree.

yHTR7Bg
Fictional illustration of a Partisan 15 cm sIG 33 gun mounted on an M3A3 chassis. Such a vehicle was allegedly converted, but there is no proof to back this claim.

wRf4pvP
Fictional illustration of a Partisan M3A3 Stuart armed with a 120 mm Granatwerfer 42 mortar. While some sources claim this vehicle exists, there is no proof to back its existence.

Light Tank M3A1/A3 Stuart in Yugoslav Service - Tank Encyclopedia

Sources for more obscure equipment

Tanks:
Kingdom of Yugoslavia - Tank Encyclopedia
Yugoslav Resistance Movements (1941-1945) - Tank Encyclopedia

Smgs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIZLrHH97rQ&t=2s

Link to info on Zastava M 44 B-2
1941–1945

17 Likes

But why a sub Tree for soviet? It shouldn’t be kingdom of Yugoslavia and be in allies tree? Communist take over after the war

2 Likes

Nice man This is a very well done tech tree

3 Likes

those 2 stuart look fun imo

2 Likes

Good point, the primary reason I put it in a soviet tree was so to help even the content offerings of the factions in my original proposal.

I fused the Yugoslav Royal Army and Partisan forces together for this concept, but it just as well could just be the partisan communist forces as they used a lot of the equipment from the royal army. I think they would be fine as a ussr subtree due to the quantity of soviet equipment used, but they did use a lot of allied equipment as well.

The partisans did receive “assistance” from the red army in the liberation of yugoslavia but I don’t have time to fully research that rn.

2 Likes

I love the stuarts

2 Likes

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

It is interesting. In general, it would be a very good opportunity to see some new countries. I’ve already seen someone recommend France once. Let’s also imagine the Polish campaign here. These countries could be in the 1-3 combat rating, or even 5, if you give them some trophy or allied equipment. I like your idea

1 Like

I suggested a bunch of other countries too in the main post I made, its linked at the top of this post.

it is basically shitstorm of factions depending on what and when they implement it. you have yugoslav kingdom before coup that is pro axis, yugoslav kingdom after coup and initial war that is for western allies (and later was government in exile in london), chetniks or “yugoslav army in homeland” (first against axis, then for axis), ustashe/NDH(pure axis), partizani (communists against axis, so soviets?).

so i guess it is complicated? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Bad idea

@Valkay i think this would be great in addition to Hungarians, Yugo, Romanians, Italians and others.

1 Like

All this factions additions and sub tech trees sound excellent and look good, lot of people have put a heavy effort, but at the end of the day there is no plans of the devs on making subtrees of another factions, they don’t even consider to separate Italy from Germany or UK from US.

5 Likes

Really cool idea, it would be nice if Soviets had a subtree as well.
Also a potential late war Romanian premium squad could be added to USSR (armed with late production model Orita 1941)

4 Likes

Separating subfactions into factions is bad business. Just look at Japan, almost all prototypes have to be added tech tree items leaving little room for premiums or BP items.

A seperate Italy would suffer from the same lack of content.

4 Likes

Yes, A separate Italy would get his Br 4 and 5 filled with German equipment for balance allied and soviet one

1 Like

The Yugoslav Partisans did get more help from England than from the Soviet Union, specifically because Tito their leader was very vocal about Stalin being a crazy madman. Yugoslavia was never part of the Soviet Union to begin with because of that.

Also putting them into a “Soviet” subtree seems weird to me, because their main weapons were MP40s, Kar98, Thompsons and German MGs - Yugoslavia used self build copies of the MG42 and Kar98 after the war because thats what they were used to. Even today 8mm Mauser is only really still used by former Yugoslavian States.

All that being said, we dont even have Italians and Brits or any subtree to begin with. Nice idea, but I doubt we will ever see something like that.

2 Likes

I know posting stuff like this is mostly futile. I make these posts because I enjoy thinking about what’s possible and encouraging the devs to consider branching out more into the many lesser known participants of ww2 in the far future.

5 Likes

DF could potentially make a fortune by exploring WW2 scenarios most games ignore.
Hell of a lot more logical than making Korea or Vietnam.

3 Likes

Fighting at Sarajevo will be fun. Snipers will certainly be an issue there…

2 Likes