Teaching the AI how to handle heavy weapons

We continue to improve the combat skills of our AI-controlled soldiers: with the upcoming update, they will complete their heavy weapons training.

GIVE ME THE BAZOOKA AND STEP ASIDE

First of all, this improvement will affect the AI AT Gunners in your squad. After the update, if you give them the order to destroy an enemy vehicle, they will use their AT rifles and rocket launchers, aiming at the most vulnerable parts.

Most importantly - don’t run into the line of fire: friendly fire is on.

MORTAR SUPPORT

In some situations, battles may involve actual AI commanders with their own squad of soldiers. This can happen, for example, if a player loses connection to the battle.

Such commanders simply have to be useful to the team! So the mortar squads under their leadership will now be trained to use their specialized weapons - mortars. They will independently target zones where they expect to find enemies and begin their massive shelling. Grab a mortar and try to compete with such commanders in efficiency.

63 Likes

How? Like artillery support?

3 Likes

Mortars AI???

I ONLY DARED DREAM OF IT!!!

NIIIIICE!!!

You guys are releasing pretty good fixes/qol updates as of late. Keep it up!

Edit: wait, is that only for bot squads, or we can COMMAND our mortar guys to shell a point? :thinking:

22 Likes

it’s a big step :pogchamp:

2 Likes

interesting. waiting to see it in battle…

Wait, wait, wait.
…you’re turning friendly fire on?

That will simultaneously be the greatest and worst change to the game.

3 Likes

uhhh, I don’t know if ai mortars is a good idea.

4 Likes

Or when matchmaker can’t wait more that 2 minutes and starts a 2v8 game with all other players being bots :eyes:

5 Likes

Will AI mortar squads be able to target markers placed by human team members?

6 Likes

no it only affect you not everyone else like how you can shoot your AT launcher at the ground and die but your ai wont

3 Likes

It’s friendly fire for AI in your own squad, just like when you have a RMN-40 bot in your squad

13 Likes

anyway look good altho i do have 1 worry

they better know not to fire mortar inside a house or something cause if i see it. It will be both funny and sad, same goes for AT gunner too hope they dont accidentally shoot at the corner(if they are next to one)

but yea i will wait and see

1 Like

Can a human squad commander COMMAND his 2 mortarmen to shell a zone, like for example radiomen, or is that automatic feature only for ai controlled squads? :thinking:

16 Likes

How do we know if the battle has AI squads?

1 Like

Great work guys. Gotta love competent AI

2 Likes

They could add that, you could set your mortarmen on the field while you mark targets for them to shell from a vantage point, maybe only with binoculars so that they would finally have a real use.

7 Likes

As we all know, the AI ​​does not consume ammo when “reloading”, and the same is currently true for heavy weapons (I saw the AI ​​using infinite panzerfaust a year ago), so what is the basis for the AI ​​to stop mortar attack?

I think it’s very challenging to design these logics. When does the AI ​​shoot mortar, where does it shoot, and what is the intell based on? Vision? Map hack? Can the player guide them to shoot? I have so many questions.

4 Likes

worst idea ever giving RMN-40 in a primary weapon slot to a bot …

1 Like

Just wondering how to order my AT gunner to hit tank, by pressing X?

1 Like

yea just look at the tank and press x

2 Likes