Some specific ideas for BR system(merge)

Personally for the upcoming merge, my basic 2 requirements should be:

1.weapons be historically correct. no vg2 and mp3008s anywhere except berlin, even they are low tier weapons, ppsh-41,fedorov and mkb-42 can be in moscow, even they are strong automatic weapons.

2.The difference of player’s equipment in one matchup should not be too large, in order to keep balance.

So I came up with a BR system that suits these requirements, where we can freely choose our equipment while maintaining historical correctness and game balance.
note: These are just some initial ideas with many imperfections, hope to provide some inspiration for developers.

1.First things first we need a detailed BR system, which contains a digitization evaluation for every equipment. like basic bolt action rifles be 0.0, trash smgs have a lower BR while good ones have higher.

2.Next, the system will calculate the total BR value of all your infantry squad equipment weapons, and select the three squads with the highest rating from them.

For example, lets say the BR for ppsh-41 is 3, and mosin m1907 is 0, so the BR for a squad with 4 ppshs and 3 m1907s is 12.

after selecting the 3 squads with highest BR in your queue, add up the BR values of these three teams together, and this is your matchup BR.

For example, The top three high BR squads in your queue are 12,13,14. so your total matchup BR is 12+13+14=39.

Queues within different BR ranges will be divided into different campaigns. For example, low BR Soviet players go to moscow, mid go to stalingrad, high go to berlin.

What’s the benefit of this system? in this system, we do can equip strong weapons in low
tier campaigns, but we cant equip too much. too much high BR weapons will make you go to higher tier campaigns. and new players can equip more low BR smgs and lmgs to have a fair fight with old players with high BR weapons in a same campaign.

Also, it makes choosing your loadout a pleasure, how to build powerful teams within the total BR limit.

3.the final matchup result will based on your matchup BR and history time, Choose the highest level among these two indicators.

For example, if you equiped vg2, you will only go to berlin, no matter how low your BR is. you will
also go to berlin if you equipped too many fedorov and avs36, even they are all early weapons.

4.To make the system more friendly, we need to add matchup specifically designed for newbies,
newbies with only tier1 weapons will not participate in regular matchup, but will only be matched to rooms which players with only tier1 weapons and AIs are included.

5.Tank battles might be imbalanced, but we can make high penetrate anti-tank weapons to
unlock earlier to fix this problem. also, we can make high level tanks possible to match for high tier campaigns, for example, player with t34/76 will probably match to stalingrad, no matter how
low his infantry BR is. This will reduce the situation where players use advanced tanks to slaughter beginners.

i also came up with a rule that tanks with too low tier cant be used in high tier battles. For example, a player with a pz2 in his queue can go to normandy, but he cant use his pz2, in order to protect his teammates’(also himself) gamplay.

6.And there is a possible patch for japan, for other factions, there are multiple campaigns for different tier weapons, but japs dont, so Pacific need low tier and high tier 2 different matchup rooms. perheps there will be new campaigns for japan later, china for SEA perhaps, then low tier japanese players can go to china, and high tiers go to Pacific.

7.For veteran players who enjoy playing with automatic weapons and advanced tanks, I have an idea: To make Berlin campaign more playable, even Berlin has a BR upper limit on equipment, and queues that exceed this limit will enter arcade mode. In this mode, there are no longer historical and campaign restrictions, and you can freely deploy squads and play all maps, rather than just Berlin and Normandy.

5 Likes

But in my opinion, advanced weapons from the early era, such as the Fedorov AVS36, should not go to Berlin but to Stalingrad, which is more historically accurate.

1 Like

maybe. In fact im not that good at history, i enen dont know fedorov before i played this game(laugh)

1 Like

Balance is obviously more important, but I don’t think that means that the small amount of “historical accuracy” should be completely disregarded. Just keep in mind this means that some sacrifices need to be made.

Any sort of hard weapon restrictions, such as ‘absolute no MP 3008 anywhere but Berlin’ basically just means the whole merge idea should be scrapped and we keep the game as it is. It makes no sense for the longevity of the game, and I don’t think that’s an option any of us wants.

Instead, I think the best way to do it is to implement soft weapon restrictions for maps, not hard restrictions. Basically matchmaking could get a group of players together with a balanced BR, and then look at all of the players weapons to see which map most are viable for. Sure, this might mean a stray MP 3008 might make it into Normandy, or a random Carcano is in Moscow, but it’s overall it is the most fair middle ground between balance and historicity.

Your idea is also good. In fact, the difference in perspective between you and me is that I believe that historical correctness is the most important thing. To ensure correctness, we should sacrifice some balance and bury some later but inferior weapons such as vg2/mp3008.And you believe that balance is the most important thing, and to ensure balance, a portion of historical correctness can be sacrificed.
Anyway, it is true that regardless of which one leans towards, there is no contradiction between balance and historical correctness to the point where one must abandon the other, and the choice ultimately lies with the developer.

1 Like