Soldiers should shoot pistols with only one hand

So, this is a very minor detail and very nitpicky of me, but if we were aiming for “historical accuracy” then soldiers should aim their pistol with only one hand.

Currently, this is how soldiers look when aiming a pistol

This appears to be based off of the Weaver Position, a shooting position developed by Los Angeles County Deputy Sheriff Jack Weaver during freestyle pistol competition in Southern California during the late 1950s, and not popularized until there after.

During the Second World War soldiers and police were not trained to shoot from the two handed position. Instead, there were two predominant one-handed shooting positions generally taught; the bullseye position and the point-shooting position.

In the Bullseye stance, the shooter stands erect, with a firm grip and straightened arm in order to aim. This is generally more something used for shooting at moderate distances, as close-range mobility may be poor.

IMG_4769
IMG_4770

The second position is the point-shooting position, where the shooter stands in a crouched or semi-crouched position, typically not aiming directly down the sights until ready to fire. This position is better for shooting on-the move, and would be ideal for Enlisted.

IMG_4771
IMG_4772
IMG_4773

Finally, here is an old training video demonstrating the point-shooting technique.

27 Likes

you make a good point/observation :+1:

7 Likes
3 Likes

in a Soviet textbook like this. also with one hand.
Screenshot_55
Screenshot_56
Screenshot_57
Screenshot_58
Screenshot_59

bonus. Shooting on horseback
Screenshot_61
Screenshot_62
Screenshot_63

7 Likes

I wouldn’t mind seeing both with 1 or 2 hands on the pistol while firing.

I like historical accuracy but this also looks way cooler and for that reason you have my vote lol

5 Likes

If one hand- let us take two pistols!
And shoot revolvers like cowboy duel.

But I prefer two-handed style, my soldiers should use two-hand.

is this a desire for a cosmetic change or a full change, because if a full change then shooting one handed would negatively affect accuracy

I mean you should only be using pistols in very close range anyway so I doubt accuracy matters

3 Likes