Reinforcement received: NKVD

I mean, everything is censored about them.

The windmill is replaced by a cross on flags, on tanks, planes and pins on soldiers.

The squad icons are also censored.

I feel censorship about historical stuff in something already gruesome and horrible as war, is unnecessary. But that’s me. It’s true there ARE wanna be ss fools out here… but there’s also fools who celebrate nkvd, which is just as crazy imo.

4 Likes

Cool event! Nice prizes. Very welcomed for a collector like myself

Ye.

I think these guys are portrayed as political commissars. I believe they used these caps. But the more I look the more problem I have finding evidence for this …

Edit: @ErikaKalkbrenner Just found this information from a seemingly informed guy

Spoiler

So, I’d like to clear up a couple of things:

1. Historical information

On NKVD: people usually assume by analogue with SS that NKVD was some elite political military organisation parallel to the regular army which is very far from hostorical truth. In fact, NKVD was simillar to the modern ministries of internal affairs with several other state services included in it. Most of the security services and para-military organisation not affiliated with the armed forces were by 1941 a part of NKVD, so its functions covered a wide range of services: firefighters, border guards, municipal police, traffic police, railroad guards, prison guards, criminal police, political police, foreign intelligience, military intelligence, forestry, counter-intelligence, etc.

There were also the Internal troops divisions of NKVD - military units with fewer heavy weapons than regular army units which in peacetime served the similar function to US National Guard - provided internal security and cadre reserve for the Armed forces.

During the wartime these NKVD divisions were either used as stop-gap units or the nucleus of the new army mobilizing units. Either way these units once they were on the frontline sooner or later were converted to regular Red Army rifle divisions.

During the war additional NKVD divisions were formed out of the various paramilitary services within the NKVD (firefighters, local police forces, prison guards) to act as the better-organizied militia units. They had almost no integral artillery and fewer heavy weapons than the regilar army units but were better organizied and than the Peoples Militia brigades. Stalingrad NKVD divisions were the most famous example of these formations, they fought within the city where their lack of heavy weapons was not as big of a problem while the knowledge of the native city was a plus. After the end of the battle the surviving NKVD units were converted to regular army divisions.

By the leater parts of the war the internal NKVD troops were responsible for policing the rear of the Red Army and were involved in anti-guerilla actions in the Baltics, Poland and Western Ukraine up untill the end of the 1940s.

NKVD units on the frontline were always put under the operational command of the Red Army and there has never been a larger NKVD formation then a division.

On comissars: Comissars were an integral part of the unit they were serving in and they were wearing the same uniform as this unit, with only difference being in modified collar patch and sleeve rank insignias with red stars with hammer and sicle. So, the only comissars that were wearing NKVD uniform were the comissars serving in NKVD divisions. The practice of comissars were discontinued in October 1942.

1. Uniform.

Pants: the practice of coloured pants with coloured seam stripes stems from the times of Civil war. By 1941, the practice was formalisied and blue pants with red stripes were worn by officers, comissars and senior NCOs in army units, all cavalry and Don Cossack personell and all NKVD internal troops and police forces. However, after the invasion in summer 1941 the issue of “high-visibility clothing” was officially discontinued and by winter 1941-1942 coloured pants became a rare sight on the frontline. The rear-echelon troops and internal security forces continued to wear old-issue pants untill their stocks ended.

Peaked caps: In Red Army only officers were issued peaked caps, while in NKVD all personell wore the them. Similar to German Waffenfahrbe Red Army and NKVD had a system of colours corresponding to each branch of service.

Army rifle units officers and comissars had the caps with crimson bands and khaki crowns with crimson piping, the artillery had black bands with red piping while the armoured units had black band, red piping and grey crown. The NKVD internal troops and police had caps with red bands, blue crowns with red piping and NKVD border guards had caps with green crowns, dark blue bands and red piping.

As with the coloured pants the coloured caps on the frontline were discontinued after the invasion, although there are fotographic evidence of high-ranking officers and generals wearing them as far as in the end of 1942. The most common peaked cap after 1941 was a simple khaki cap with no coloured piping.

1. Modelling on tabletop

Obviously due to the rule of cool you can omit some historic restriction to make your army less dull. After all, you need some colour to distinguish your commanders from the sea of khaki-clad riflemen. There are several plausable excuses to paint coloured uniform for your troops.

1. Border guards, summer 1941 - all of them would be wearing green peaked caps, however these units were completely destroyed by the end of July 1941.
  2. Comissars in regular army units - since the miniatures do not have sculpted rank insignias, painting your comissars pants and cap blue with red is the only way to distinguish him. We can claim that he is a transfer from some NKVD police unit who did not have the chance to get his new khaki uniform in the chaos of mobilization.
  3. A veteran regular army officer - giving him blue pants with red stripes and peaked cap with red band and piping can make him look as a grizzled veteran who was fighting since the first days of the war.
  4. A ragtag NKVD militia unit/army unit converted from the NKVD division - usually former police officers served as commanders in such units, so giving them the NKVD uniform can give a look of hastilly recruited force to stop the German invaders. Also, white gymnastyorkas were worn by policemen in summer before the war, so you can make your commanding officer even more colourfull.
  5. Partisan commander - partisan comanders came from several sources: officers of army units encircled in 1941, local party leaders or police officers and paradropped NKVD operatives. All of them could have worn some elements of the aforementioned coloured uniform.
  6. Red army cavalry or cossacks - the photographs show Red Army cossack officers wearing blue pants with stripes corresponding to their cossack host as late as in 1945. The Red Army cavalry operated within the cavalry-mechanisied groups, so you don’t necessarily need the mounted miniatures to claim that they are the cossacks.

There were far more Soviet servicemen who wore some types of coloured caps and pants during the war but they were not likely to be seen on the frontline. These are, in my opinion, six best ways to justify adding some colour to your tabletop Red Army.

5 Likes

Wow another great event with amazing squads as rewards!
Thank you very much

2 Likes

that’s… cool.

but … are we gonna put nkvds on halftracks?

and… give army hats to the actual nkvd?

if you’re going to apply some resembles of historical accuracy argument, seems half baked to only do it partially and inconsistently.

1 Like

Well we all know how swastika looks like and this is up to the country if you don’t like it censored you must change the laws in Germany or other countries that accepted the shame of their actions and crimes during world war 2.

Well in a multiplayer game there must be censorship as much as you wanna be realistic all you gotta do is watch uncensored clips from wars where people are burned to death to understand why there must be some censorship after all its a game not a real historic event that you wanna experience

Okay, I hope the official can solve it as soon as possible. Thank you.:handshake:

I think the flag should be removed and made as a customization. I prefer all vehicles have the base standard skin

1 Like

But.

We CAN burn ppl to death in Enlisted. And dismemberment. And blood splatter, etc.

Pretty gruesome to me.

Logically, someone torn to shreds or burnt to a crisp, should be more offensive than historical crooked windmills drawings.

But eh, what do I know.

I ain’t a part of the sensitive “modern audience” :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

in a censored fashion if you think what you have in Enlisted is realistic view its not in real life the sight is much much worse…

MG45 squad is from a heer unit.

Not really gruesome if it looks bare minimum and like broken sticks. Even WAW looks better for being that old.

1 Like

I know.

I work in the medical field. I see so many “opened” bodies I see them as machines with parts.

Still. A lil drawing of a crooked windmill pale in comparison.

Ppl today have too many different standards for things…

4 Likes

yes but if you wanna have you game in every country you must apply to the rules… some games made special versions of their games and swastika is not censored in some countries while in other its censored but that’s how the market is if you don’t censor it no one from Germany will be able to play it …

yeah sorry. i meant the early war mg squad.

1 Like

oh, I think you misunderstood me.
I want the caps on my M3 squad ; )

Oh I know about the reason why it is this way in Enlisted.

I hate censorship as a whole, not just in game… also generally what is censored and what isn’t, is decided by the victors…

Anyway. Silly double (or triple etc) standards.

1 Like

Not exactly its decided by the country in Italy for an instance there is shops where they sell fascist symbols and Mussolini images its really up to the country not to the victors. All you gotta do to have it uncensored is to vote it as a law if there is law in the country that censors it and you are planning to sell there you must make sacrifices however if you don’t plan to sell it in that country no one is making you censor it.

Yikes, another weekend without event :sob::sob:

2 Likes

i actually got too excited to see the date lol thought it was today

3 Likes

It would have been better to give a 150 round belt to the mG39 because if it doesn’t last to the MG42 of the research tree and to the early version the 50 round magazine with the cadence of 990 and 1060 less to this MG39

I also hope they put the MG42 with its 250 bullet belt and 1800 cadence into the research tree, don’t be Stingy to the Allies and Soviets if they give them guns with more than 100 bullets

1 Like