Picked up weapons should be refillable at ammo crates

the fact that you can pick up a weapon from one of your squad that has just died and you cant refill its ammo at an ammo crate is just stupid… even enemy weapons you pick up should be able to refill at ammo crates just because the gun is soviet doesn’t mean an american bullet won’t fit and fire out of it…

an AK-47 takes 7.62 ammo… not Soviet 7.62 or American 7.62 or Japanese 7.62… 7.62 in general…

2 Likes

you can refill your dead ally weapon its just a bug in the ammunition crates

That’s fundamentally untrue. You can look it up yourself if you don’t believe me. Even if the bullet diameter is the same (which is actually not always the case even when the gun is supposedly the same caliber), the casing can be and often is different length and shape. Best case scenario - it won’t feed. Worst case scenario - explosion in your face.

Allied weapons definitely need the ability to be replenished from the crate though. Which is currently not the case in my experience.

5 Likes

-.-’ right… well if every bullet has to be tailored to the guns barrel we wouldn’t have a standardization such as bullet caliber…

like you know how fucking long it would take to make ammo for guns if you had to tailor the bullet to each specific gun its being shot from…

What I’m saying is that there’s simply no such thing as “7.62 in general”. And it’s the most widely spread caliber. Just look it up if you don’t want to listen to anyone. Even the “Soviet 7.62” is not a thing, there were two kind’s of 7.62 in USSR and they were in absolutely no way mutually interchangeable.

you mean the 7.62x39 and the 7.62x54

…those were 2 very different bullets its like comparing a 9mm to a rocket launcher… little extreme but you get the picture… 1 was for a bolt action rifle the other was for a automatic rifle…

This just in, .50 BMG will fit in a desert eagle and the PzB fires the same bullet as the kar98

1 Like

Im pretty sure these arent the same ammunition and wont fit into different guns right…

The core suggestion is fine for being able to reload captured enemy guns, but the ammo part is just brainless.

1 Like

like i said -.-’ the same bullet regardless of the side its on will fit in the gun its suppose to… your not gonna put a crossbow bolt in a 6 shooter revolver… the point is if the ammo box has the ammo you should be able to reload it regardless of the side the gun came from :sweat:

Here is a list of firearms labelled 7.62mm…

7.62x25 Tokarev (TT33, PPSh-41, PPS-43, etc.)
7.62x38r Nagant (M1895 Nagant)
7.62x39 (AK-47, AKM, RPK, vZ.58, Type 56, etc.)
7.62x51 (7.62 Nato/.308)
7.62x54r (M91/30, M38 Carbine, M44 Carbine, SVT-40, DP-28, PK machine gun, etc.)

They don’t technically all have the same bullet sizes either. Some bullets are labeled based on the width of the bullet, others are labeled based on the width between the lands/grooves of the rifling. For example I’m pretty sure .303 is called that because that’s the distance between the rifling of the bore. You would think that .303 has a smaller bullet than .308 (and by extension, 7.62 Nato), but that is not the case. .303 uses a SLIGHTLY bigger bullet than .308/7.62 Nato, and the Russian cartridges if memory serves likewise tend to use the same/similar SLIGHTLY bigger bullet (meaning the projectile) as the .303.

As for getting ammo, we can keep it simple and say that you can get ammo for Allied-side battlefield pick-ups at Allied ammo dumps, and ammo for Axis-side battlefield pick-ups at Axis ammo dumps. Though there is a small degree of ammo-sharing, since the British STEN and the Hi Power pistols (originally Belgian, adopted by Britain/Canada when Belgium was liberated in 1944) use 9x19 which the Germans standardized on in 1908 with the P08 if I’m not mistaken, carrying on through the P38 pistol and the MP18/28/38/40 SMGs.

I think Gaijin might be making it this way so that people who suddenly find a very rare firearm don’t then run away from combat immediately to try and be careful and get a kill or two with it, or just tinker and play around with what little ammo is in it to test recoil and select-fire functionality and what not, but that’s speculatory. Also, you need to pay to get the really rare firearms, so why let those who have not yet paid for it get to find it in a game and go to ammo dumps to keep refilling ammo? If you want the fun/good stuff, put down the money, otherwise… you’re only getting a mag or two at best.

2 Likes

That’s so wrong
On so many levels
Nogunz please leave

2 Likes

This is inaccurate, WeedieMCtoke. 7.62x54r is used in bolt-actions, semi-auto rifles, and machine guns such as the DP-28 and PKM. 7.62x39 is also used in semi-auto rifles, and machine guns like the RPK and RPD. There is also a rifle design from Australia that is designed from the No.5 “Jungle Carbine” Lee Enfield that takes AK mags, meaning a bolt-action 7.62x39.

I must say, a lot of the information in this threat is confusing or outright false. It would help if people quoted one another in this fashion so that we can talk about precise things. You can look at the earlier (and the first I ever wrote on this forum) post to see that different individual cartridges can be used in multiple different firearms, but that not all firearms can shoot ‘7.62 ammunition’ if it has 7.62 in it. I will copy/paste the info here to help.

7.62x25 Tokarev (TT33, PPSh-41, PPS-43, etc.)
7.62x38r Nagant (M1895 Nagant)
7.62x39 (AK-47, AKM, RPK, vZ.58, Type 56, etc.)
7.62x51 (7.62 Nato/.308)
7.62x54r (M91/30, M38 Carbine, M44 Carbine, SVT-40, DP-28, PK machine gun, etc.)

Those are all VERY different cartridges and none are interchangeable. In theory you MIGHT be able to stick a 7.62 Nato cartridge into a 7.62x54r firearms and you MIGHT manage to get the firing pin to strike the primer, but a casing rupture is EXTREMELY likely and in general it is EXTREMELY dangerous to use incorrect ammunition in different firearms even if the incorrect ammo will fit. Like sticking 7.62x25 Tokarev into a C96 chambered in 7.63x25. To my knowledge the two rounds will fit the same firearms, but 7.62 Tokarev, as I recall, is loaded much hotter than the older 7.63x25 cartridge. It might work, but 7.62 Tokarev in a C96 will likely cause excessive wear on the firearm and could cause lasting damage, possibly even a catastrophic failure at some point with repeated use. Meanwhile 7.63x25 in a TT-33 or PPSh-41 or something, it might be so much ‘softer’ than 7.62 Tokarev that the firearm will experience malfunctions.

For example failure to extract (empty casing left in the chamber) or failure to eject (commonly known as a ‘stove pipe,’ the empty casing stuck in the action part-way out of the receiver. So even if the ammo fits, if it’s not what the firearm was designed for, you’re likely at best looking for a drop in reliability, or at worst, catastrophic malfunctions that could destroy the firearm or otherwise put it out of the action and possibly also hurt/kill the shooter.

Kentucky Ballistics comes to mind, a Youtuber whom I think just last month in April was firing spicy .50 BMG SLAP (Saboted Light Armour Piercing, if memory serves) cartridges and one was allegedly VASTLY over-loaded, no way to have possibly known about it. His single-shot .50 BMG, which IS rated to fire .50 BMG, blew to pieces because of one round that happened to be loaded way too hot. A factory error perhaps, but regardless, he lost vision in his right eye (docs say he will recover his eyesight in time) and had a piece of shrapnel from the rifle fly into his neck. His father happened to be there, and that saved his life, he himself has Police training which also helped. His father stuck his thumb into the hole in his neck and was then himself instructed to stick the thumb in his own neck-hole so that he could be driven to hospital. He nearly died, and that was with technically appropriate ammo, but it happened to be loaded far too hot. Apparently 85,000 PSI or more, when the rifle is meant for more like 55,000 PSI, or something like that.

1 Like

-.-’ dude im lvl 17 nearly 18 on the normandy pass, my problem isn’t that “i want the fun guns” its the fact that i pick up a weapon i was just using on a soldier in my squad after they die and i cant refill the damn thing from my own ammo box when i could refill before i picked it up… and when i grab a random weapon off the ground after running out of ammo and it has only 1/10th of its original ammo left its quite annoying when you find a friendly ammo crate and your ammo won’t ever refill again because you dropped the weapon you spawned with… you end up going around looking for corpses on the ground to grab another barely full weapon that’s empty before you can put down 2 enemy’s …

This is quite accurate. That Kentucky Ballistics fellow experienced the worst case scenario that nearly killed him, and that was with the proper ammo which was (to my knowledge) accidentally over-loaded from the factory. In proper Military firearms, probably not as big of an issue, but in his firearm it was. The action of his .50 is literally unscrewing a chunk of metal on the back of the chamber, removing the spent casing, putting in the fresh round, and screwing the cap back on. As far as .50 rifles go, that one, I imagine, has among the lowest tolerances for overpowered ammo. That is speculation however.

Anyways, yes, case length. Here is what firearm names mean.

Imperial: .30-06
.30 is the calibre, and 06 (or “Ought six”) is the year, 1906, when they made .30-03 (the cartridge designed for the M1903 Springfield) spitzer (pointed bullet, it was a bigger/fatter/heavier round-nose before).

Metric: 7.62x63
Same cartridge, .30-06, except 7.62mm is the bullet width (the calibre) and 63mm is the length of the casing.

Calibre, didn’t bother with year
7.62x51
Same basic cartridge, but this is the metric name for it since .308 has a 7.62mm width bullet and 51mm long casing.
7.62 Nato
This is Military, and here in North America (I’m Canadian but I’m pretty sure it goes with America too) most any ammo labeled 7.62x51 is Military to my understanding. If it’s labeled .308, it’s civilian. With 7.62 Nato (they often ditch the x51 for simplicity of communication) there’s M80 Ball, and ‘Ball’ ammunition typically refers to basic FMJ, nothing special. There are other loadings of 7.62 Nato, just like with 5.56 Nato there is 55gr M193 ball heavily used in Vietnam, and nowadays the common 62gr M855 AP ammunition, I think with green-painted tips on the bullets. You can technically take .308 or .223 and customize the load to make your very own style of 7.62 Nato or 5.56 Nato ammunition. It’s just homemade instead of from a factory, but you need to get everything exact. Same bullet style, same bullet weight, same velocity in relation to barrel length, etc. If you make ANYTHING out of spec, any chance you have of calling it Nato is out, but really it’s best to not call it Nato at all if you made it yourself because it makes things confusion. Leave the Military-made ammo to hold the designation, call your own stuff .223.

So, now that anyone reads this realizes what the numbers mean, here are the Metric names for various cartridges…

8mm Mauser
7.92x57

8mm Kurz (for the STG)
7.92x33

.30-06
7.62x63

.30 Carbine
7.62x33

.303 British
7.7x56r

7.62x54r (self-explanatory, the r stands for rimmed, .303 is also rimmed, sometimes called 7.62 Russian)

7.62x39 (sometimes called 7.62 Soviet)

7.62x25 (Sometimes called 7.62 Tokarev)

7.62x38r (Again, rimmed, and sometimes referred to as 7.62 Nagant since it’s for the M1895 Nagant revolver)

.45 ACP
11.43x23

9mm Parabellum or 9mm Luger
9x19

Also, note that there’s no mention of case width. .303 British has a 56mm casing while 7.62x54r has a 54mm casing. Does this mean that .303 is longer and thus has more powder and is more powerful? No, in fact .303 British is substantially thinner and has less of a taper in the case wall, so it is weaker than either 7.62x54r, .30-06, or 8mm Mauser. Also, .30-06 DOES have more capacity for powder than 8mm Mauser, but America’s M2 Ball is kind of lightly loaded, possibly due to the op rod of the M1 Garand but I can’t say for certain. Regardless, Germany’s s.S. Patrone 1934 (I may have the year wrong, but basically German standard ball ammo of WWII) was more hotly loaded in spite of being in a smaller cartridge. What was it… 198gr at 2500 ft/s from a 24" Kar98k barrel? This is hotter than .30-06’s M2 Ball 150gr at 2800 ft/s from a 24" M1 Garand barrel. Mk.VII (Mark 7) Ball .303 British (standard .303 ball ammo of both World Wars) is 174gr at 2440 from a 25" Lee Enfield barrel. 7.62x54r Light Ball is almost identical to M2 Ball .30-06 in terms of bullet weight and velocity, but the M91/30’s MASSIVE barrel, like 29" or so, gives a bit more velocity than the M1. You cannot use .30-06 in 7.62x54r firearms, nor vice versa. No interchangeability, and also generally different primer styles, Boxer vs Berdan, but they function almost the same way as primers.

1 Like

I concur, yes. It is annoying. As far as I’m concerned, any Allied firearm should be able to be replenished at any Allied ammo dump, and any Axis firearm should be able to be replenished at any Axis ammo dump. I was just thinking about it in terms of Gaijin, the developer, whom have incentives to have people pay. But yeah, it’s pretty stupid that you can’t even pick up a stock-standard M1903 Springfield from the ground and get ammo for it. Instead, if you WANT an M1903 to use (maybe you spawned with an M3 SMG and you want something for longer range), you basically have to come across multiple corpses who dropped M1903 rifles and hopefully get 5 extra rounds of spare ammo with each pick-up. It’s pretty dumb, yeah.

1 Like

Except we did have generalization. 7.62mm NATO and 5.56mm NATO have specific sizes. You would not be able to feed 7.62mm Tokarev into a NATO gun, or into a gun that fed from 7.62mm Mosin (forgot the official designation, but that’s the gun that feeds with this ammo). Vice versa is also the case. Just because the ammo crate has 7.62mm ammo, doesn’t mean you’ll be able to feed it into a gun that feeds from 7.62mm. They both need the same case length etc as well.

Feeding from an ammo crate with a picked up allied weapon would be fine. Enemy/captured weapon would not.

There were reports from Stalingrad that some Germans were supplied with 7.63x25mm Mauser for captured PPSh SMGs due to being similar to the 7.62x25mm Tokarev which the 7.63x25mm Mauser is where the round is based on.

I heard you can shoot a Tokarev with 7.63x25mm Mauser but cannot use the 7.62x25mm Tokarev on a C96.

Also pressure.
.223 works in 5.56 rifles but not vice-versa because 5.56 is a higher pressure.

More ridiculously, .50 BMG will fit in a 12 guage break action but will blow it up because of pressure.

1 Like

Wait actually? Lmao nice

The M91/30 Mosin fires 7.62x54r and the nickname I’ve seen for it is 7.62 Russian, since it predates Soviet Russia (1892 is when the first Mosin rifle and 7.62x54r were made/adopted). But yes, what you say is generally correct. 7.62 Nato is 7.62x51 and is an entirely different cartridge from 7.62x54r or 7.62x39 or 7.62x25 (which is 7.62 Tokarev), etc. Nowadays, MANY Militaries around the world have standardized around one of two sides, and this comes from the Cold War. Nato, for us in the West, and then the ComBloc nations.

RIFLE
Nato - 7.62x51
Com - 7.62x54r

INTERMEDIATE
Nato - 5.56x45
Com - 7.62x39 and then 5.45x39

PISTOL
Nato - 9x19
Com - 7.62x25 and then 9x18 Makarov

This modern situation we find ourselves in is VASTLY different from WWII.

RIFLE
INTERMEDIATE
PISTOL

America
.30-06 (7.62x63)
.30 Carbine (technically a large pistol cartridge) (7.62x33)
.45 ACP (11.43x23 or something like that)

Commonwealth (Britain, Canada, Australia, India, etc.)
.303 British (7.7x56r)
NONE
9x19 in 1944 when the Hi Power was adopted, before that, I’m not sure, perhaps old .455 Webleys and No.2 Enfield revolvers that were maybe in .380 or something

Germany
8mm Mauser (7.92x57)
8mm Kurz (7.92x33)
9mm Para (9x19)

Russia
7.62 Russian (7.62x54r)
7.62 Soviet (7.62x39 developed in 1943 I think, and the RPD LMG and SKS rifles designed to go with it were either seldom used or not used at all)
7.62 Tokarev (7.62x25) and the earlier 7.62 Nagant (7.62x38r)

Japan
6.5 Arisaka (6.5x50r?) and 7.7 Arisaka (7.7x58? This is from memory and might be a bit inaccurate)
NONE
8mm Nambu (Can’t remember at all, maybe 8x22 or something, but it’s weaker in every way to 9x19 Lighter bullet, lower velocity, smaller projectile)

Sweden had 6.5 Swede for their Swedish Mauser

Switzerland had 7.5x55 for their straight-pull K31, beautiful rifle, I’ve owned one before.

France also had their own ammunition as I recall, and I have no idea what Spain used during their civil war in the 1930s but it was probably again something different from the rest.

As can be seen, VERY different ammunition for almost every single different nation. Nowadays, with Nato standardization, we can share ammunition and I’m pretty sure also magazines with America, Canada, Britain, France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Italy, and probably also Estonia, Romania, and Bulgaria. The situation of international Military arms today is VERY different from 75+ years ago.

2 Likes