Paratroopers Parachute into Grayzone

The main job of Paratroopers is to parachute deep into enemy territory, hold objectives, destroy targets, and harass the enemy ahead of the main ground force. In game Paratroopers are basically no different than regular infantry other than jumping out of a plane. They spawn within the same boundaries as the rest of the team

I think it would be cool if Paratroopers could parachute into the grayzone and enemy territory. This would allow them to fulfil their historic role and give them unique gameplay utilities. They can flank objectives, delay the enemy, sabotage the enemy such as destroying rally points and buildings, and even destroying the infamous gray zone tanks

4 Likes

I suggested something similar a bit ago, so I completely agree, as it would make paras useful on the defense as well.

1 Like

Spawncamping is never cool, it’s shameless.

Grey zone exist for a reason.

10 Likes

Jump to only die 10 seconds after touchdown due to greyzone?
Great idea…

If you propose making them immune to greyzone damage then DF would need to rework the greyzone of every single map that would now be acceable and might not have proper collision due players not beeing meant to be here.
Plus spawn camping should not be encouraged and even logicaly if you leave the sector you would just enter the battlefield of another the next formation figting on the same front / be shot by rearguard forces on sentry duty.

2 Likes

Yeah, let them parachute close to the enemy tanks that hang out in the grey zones as well. :wink:

I think you are overestimating how powerful grayzone parachuting would be. It’s not like you’re going to be endlessly and hopelessly spawn trapped. I view the moment to moment actions dynamically

I’ve seen so many Paratroopers shredded the moment they hit the ground, other times I’ve seen team members literally go to spot the Paras are dropping to directly counter them. I have literally went to the spot Paras dropped to fight them. A team that pays attention, and let’s be honest it’s easy to spot Paras coming, will be able to counter them. But hey once in a while the Paras counter you. That’s how it goes

Not to mention there are other ways teams get spawn trapped so the paratroopers themselves aren’t that big of a deal. Everyone has had moments where they’re bombed, tanked, planed moments after spawn. If anything Paratroopers are much easier to deal with then those other threats

I don’t think there’s be a need with any sort of major overhaul. I’m sure it’s not some impossible task to make one class immune to gray zone.

I’ve even thought they could make the Rider class also have this function

1 Like

Spawnkilling, great.

How about you play the objective instead?

2 Likes

A Paratrooper dropping in to delay the enemy is supporting the team effort just as much as your infantry charging the objective and your tanks and planes giving fire support and mortars mortaring and snipers sniping enemies from afar

1 Like

Doesn’t really matter, the grey zone shouldn’t be part of any class’ playstyle.

We already know how toxic it is for some players to have to deal with a tank that’s camping in grey zone.
But this problem shouldn’t be solved by adding another class that will abuse a mechanic that is just artificial protection against spawn camping.

It won’t really solve the problem, it will just make it worse.

1 Like

That is still the easy part. But now the playable map is extended which means every single map needs to be reworked to funtion properly or you would risk falling throught the floor ect.
And the grey zone is there to stop players from wandering off into the sunset into area you where not supposed to see in the first place AKA out of bounds soooooo… yeah.

But those only droped where you expected them to be aka ontop of the point / on your reinforce lane.
If you allow paratroopers to to drop everywhere where they like they can basicly always land unopossed because everyone else is busy fighing on the front.
Even if someone would dedicate his squad to play whack-a-mole with paras in your backline it would be questionable if he could stop the drops in that large of an area while occupieing him for the entire match.

I still think paras would be easy to spot even if they spawned behind you. First and foremost your tanks, snipers, and anyone who generally stays near the back will see them. Plus as you’re running from your spawn to the objective you may see them dropping. I think there’s always usually a good flow of players all over the area that by shear probability one player will notice and check the Paras. But sometimes in the chaos of the match the Paras check you because all’s fair in love and war

There’s also the “tit-for-tat” principle. It’s like I say a sniper is only as good as as many kills he gets before the enemy team knows where he is and snuffs him out. The more times you kill an enemy or the more individual players you kill the more they know who you are the more they are ready to get rid of you. Your presence is known. I think you see where I’m going with this.

Sure a Paratrooper squad may be in your midst and kill you once or twice, but now the team is aware of him so you are better prepared to deal with them and be more watchfull

Yes you can spot the plane but do you really want to run back those 100m just to catch some random paras that landed? If they do it means they will be stuck in their own spawn for quiet some time and not doing anything to futher the objective.

Most of the infantry will start at 70 to 50 m to the objective and will not really see the paras dropping at 120m away. Heck even if you drop behind a building 10 m away from reinforce lane you can still ambush suprisingly many of the players.

This change would just make placing rally points in the enemy backline just exessively easy. As you cant really be intercepted as you are no longer limited in your dropzone to anywhere vaguely near the enemy.

I’d argue that’s the next guys (spawn) job. Say you’re close to the objective and paras are dropping. Sure you could run back to check them if you want to, but I would say that duty would go onto the fresh spawns in the back because they are the ones who most likely will face them. And so on and so fourth.

I will say that’s kind of point because paras were designed for surprise attacks, but you could just look up

Well ain’t that the paratroopers job in the first place :sweat_smile: :wink:

I honestly think that just makes gameplay even more interesting and dynamic and sounds cool.

There are some maps where the design allows the team to rout the enemy from reinforcing the point, but rally points behind enemy lines makes that even cooler. Perhaps they could make it so rally points made behind enemy lines have a longer cooldown.

Idk I just think that sounds cool and adds more spice to gameplay.

Plus enemy line rallies would be even more vulnerable than normal rallies because they’re literally in enemy territory

defender would be sitting in the attackers spawn, while attackers would be sitting in defender spawn.

it would destroy every piece of map structure the game still has.

people should be forced to play the objective, not the other way around.

Star Trek I

It would be even funnier for Japan since they only have one paratrooper squad, which is an event squad from, I think, 1.5 years ago or so.
Not to mention that its pretty P2W/ FOMO in the first place…

I don’t think it would be that dramatic. I don’t imagine you’d have the whole team spawning right behind you. I view that at best a few squads slip through the cracks to harass the enemy but ultimately and quickly taken care of. (Honestly I’d like to see this tested in a test server to see what happens)

However even then if Paratroopers could spawn in the enemy gray zone then that doesn’t mean they are able to build rally points. They don’t need to have that capability, it can be outright disabled. Rally points can still remain just as they are now. Paratroopers can just harass and delay the enemy as their historical job.

It’s like mortars, what are the chances 90% of your team is going to be Mortar squads, very low. At best maybe you have 1 Mortar player at a given time. Most likely at best you’ll be dealing with maybe one or two Paratrooper squads at a given time harassing you. Most of the team will be the same old infantry

As I said a Paratrooper dropping behind enemy lines is probably even more vulnerable than the rest of the team because they are easily spotted and they’re vulnerable for the first few moments after they hit the ground and they’ll likely have whatever enemies in the area going after them and they don’t have the immediate support of their team shoulder to shoulder as regular infantry

I definitely think there should be research paratroopers

I think paratroopers should not be in the game to begin with.
I see paratroopers as a mistake. They shouldn’t really be dropping off in the middle of the battlefield, they should be more a sabotage/special forces unit that operates behind the enemy lines.
Though, I understand, as it is part of the monetization.

Still, they are in game, so, might as well give an example:
The way I see proper use of them in game, would be a special scenario mode, where western allies team drop off with paratroopers, while the axis folks try to prevent them from doing their objectives (like destroying structures). Basically, it is the battles behind Normandy invasion.
We could have some special conditions, like, 1st capture point would see no land vehicles being used, but afterwards, the allies get access to their light tanks (that could be transported via gliders), meanwhile axis mobilize their captured 2nd grade vehicles, making it somewhat balanced in terms of vehicles.
An asymmetric invasion mission, if you will.

I doubt we’d see such implementation officially, but perhaps modders could create operations like these?