Napalm: Needs Buff

If they modified them to be bombs, then they aren’t fuel tanks but bombs ffs.

If I moddify a water bottle by pouring in 0.5kg of plack powder and adding a fuze, it’s a damn hand grenade, not a water bottle.

Stop.

The modified fuel tanks are fuel tanks but simply filled with flammable gel and have a fuze.

If I fill up a water bottle with black powder, isn’t it just a water bottle with black powder?

Just side note here, I did not see any mention about flammable gel in your documents.

Then they don’t serve a role of a fuel tank so why keep calling them this way?
It’s a fuel tank turned into a bomb so call it a bomb.

If you add a fuze, it’s a bomb.

1 Like

A fuel tank has many purposes, as the 8th Air Force has proven. It can be used as an incendiary bomb, and it can be used for long distances. Right now, in Enlisted, it is used as an Incendiary bomb. I am not trying to one-up you; I am just telling you how it is.

If it’s an incendiary bomb, it’s not a fuel tank. You can’t call a napalm bomb a fuel tank even if it was made from one and has “fuel tank” written on it’s side. Even the documents you’ve shown call it a bomb and a tank but not a fuel tank.

110 Gallons of napalm will do that to a canvas.

A fuel tank can be an incendiary bomb; an incendiary bomb can’t be a fuel tank.

A rectangle can be a square, but a square can’t be a rectangle.

Fuel tanks don’t explode (at least aren’t intended to) so they aren’t bombs. They can be repurposed and moddified to be bombs but then they aren’t fuel tanks but bombs.

This is probably one of the most pointless discussions here in a while. It changes nothing but a name of a device nobody uses anyway.
Time well spent :upside_down_face:

1 Like

You’re the one trying to say that fuel tanks can’t be bombs when the First Eighth Air Force proved they could be.

Just trust me next time man.

Quite sure the point was it is fuel tank as long as its being used as one.
Its bomb once its intended purpose is no longer being fuel tank but a bomb aka adding some ignition devices.

and here is how common fuel tanks were used in combat

Though it wasn’t common practice, P-47 Thunderbolt pilots were noted for their creativity in combat, switching their fuel feed selector to their internal tanks while making a low pass over an enemy position. With relative precision, they would jettison their drop tanks, still filled with a decent amount of fuel, before climbing away.

After releasing their tanks, pilots would swoop back around and line up again with their target. If they timed it right and aimed well, a long burst from their cannons would ignite the fuel left inside the tanks, blowing them up like firebombs.

1 Like

I don’t say they can’t be. I say they shouldn’t be called fuel tanks when they are turned into bombs because they no longer serve the purpose of a fuel tank.

Because if you later add napalm and incendiary bombs/ ammo, you can pretend its a completely new feature.

2 Likes

Where incendiary device

These are intended for use by heavier planes.

And the ones actually meant for fighters were larger 75 and 108 gallon tanks.

The one we have in-game is, according to the statcard, a 150 liter drop tank. Roughly 40 gallons. For the purposes described in the paper you’ve cited, these weren’t mentioned at all, far as I can be bothered to backread.

To summarize, the drop tank we have in-game is too small and lacks an incendiary device.

1 Like

well be happy that they call them fuel tanks… if they only called them tanks i think you would expect for them to drop shermans on enemies :rofl:

2 Likes

Indeed. They aren’t being used as one in game.

150 gallon

75 gallon

:neutral_face:

Do you think I’m bullcrapping you or something?

This comes from the Corsair Pilots manual

150-gallon drop tank on an F6F Hellcat.

They did this and shot at the drop tank before developing the napalm that would explode on impact.

They are fuel tanks filled with napalm; what are you not understanding?