Myrm1dons Improve Invasion Mode: Year 2

A year ago I made a post to improve Invasion. I thought it was time to bring it up again.

Last Years Post:

Invasion needs to Evolve

Invasion is arguably the Primary game mode for Enlisted and while it is still fun under the “right circumstances”, It is in desperate need of updating to accomodate the right circumstances with more frequency.

Enlisted has a leaving Problem

Futurama-Angry-Dome.gif

While some of the reasons for leaving cannot be addressed by improving the game modes;

• no choice of map
  • no choice of campaign
  • no choice of Uptier/downtier

Others can, Specifically “Snowballing
Snowballing causes many people to leave, which exacerbates the effect even further

It ruins everyones game experience.

What causes snow balling?

Other than player skill disparitry, The most significant conditions for snowballing occur in the opening minute of the Invasion game mode, and gets much worse the higher the BR or the higher the skill disparity (or squad Stacking).

I will do from both Perspectives

Defenders:

Defenders are all spawned in on “one” Tiny Objective".

Anything that can Lob HE in the opening seconds of the game can literally Wipe out nearly everything on the point in seconds, thus the Snowball begins.

• Tanks often have a shot merely seconds after the game starts
  • Some objectives get wiped by mortars
  • Pacific Air spawn has start lockout missing (why is this still a thing)

Veteran Defenders know this, and can avoid it. But this is largely a Casual game, and Casuals who make up the majority of most teams, get wrecked by this again and again…and again…and then some more

This is a frequent occurance and causes matches to start very poorly, and if this happens, the mass exodus generally follows

Attackers

If the attackers Fail to abuse the opening Minutes of the game, they often find them selves facing an endless wave of counter attacks because Defenders have unlimited tickets and spawn at the same rate. This is the other common “leaving” point.

So how do we improve both at the same time?

The conundrum is you “must” address both at the same time. You cannot just fix one without making the other much worse. (Fix defenders getting wiped out at start of match? their ability to endlessly counter attack improves)

People leave early in some part because there is no natural mechanic to curb a landslide, And once it gets started, it takes some serious sweat to stop it (if even possible)

Some possible solutions could include; (some are listed twice as they are just as important for both sides)

Defender Focus

• Multiple/Layered Defender “first spawns” spread out around the cap close by, NOT all on it.
  • Larger Objective points, more spread out so HE cannot Deny the entire objective so easily
  • Once the Attackers have captured a point, the play area “does not advance” for the Attackers UNTIL they have cleared out “All” remaining Defenders in the previous zone (Remaining Defenders will be “spotted”, and have 60 seconds to leave the area or be Insta killed). Attackers cannot lose any tickets during this clear out phase)
  • Lock capture points for a time, Like in confrontation
  • Tank Spawns (attacker AND defender) either Further back or get the same Delay PLanes and Radiomen Call ins get at the start of the game.
  • Warm up phase (30-60 seconds), both teams can spawn in and take actions in their zone, but no where else

Attacker Focus

• Larger Objective points, more spread out so HE cannot Deny the entire objective so easily
  • Larger play area for larger flanking routes hidden from sight
  • Attackers have less tickets instead of 1000 (but reset back to the full amount upon capturing)
  • Tank Spawns (attacker AND defender) either Further back or get the same Delay PLanes and Radiomen Call ins get at the start of the game.
  • Warm up phase (30-60 seconds), both teams can spawn in and take actions in their zone, but no where else
  • Defenders have tickets per objective that can either be depleted OR carry over to the next objective (last years suggestion)

Some of these changes shouldnt be too hard to implement or to experiment with.

heres hoping for some improvements this year.

Until next year then!

17 Likes

i love the suggestion, sadly not a single game mode was ever reworked/tweaked since their appear, even assault the most unbalanced game mode according to community.

1 Like

Just because they haven’t reworked anything yet doesn’t mean they won’t, I am sure the devs see the opportunity of improving game modes to make them more fun.

2 Likes

Id prefer the greyzone to move like in BR games, you still can stick around for certain amount of time at old cap but eventually you are forced to move or die.
The clearout phase sounds more like hide and seek.

Id also add that you cant contest the next cap as attacker by spamming mortar or what ever to next cap during this.

Not exactly fan of this idea, I genuinely hate games with too long warmup times.

I agree that this would solve the constant suicide counterattacks without consequences.
But technically it would make it possible for attackers to win games just by campping, which would be more than easy on some maps.

1 Like

not particularity. Just a mechanism to make sure the bulk of the defenders get back to where they are supposed to be before the next area opens. 60 seconds isn’t long, especially when everyone can see you on the minimap.

recycled from Battlefield RUSH mechanics.

fair (although 30 seconds isn’t long). Just another mechanism to make sure the team is populated before the game starts, gives the opportunity to spread out a bit before combat begins.

Happy to try anything to make it better honestly.

1 Like

Fair enough, first thought just was a guy with full squad hiding in a house with AP mines, just to get most out of the 60seconds which is fair in this case.

Or like in BR games, shotgun prone at top of stairs.

Havent really paid attention to that but isnt there already some kind of wait time for this exact reason ? Waiting till everyone has loaded the game ?
Since sometimes it feels it takes over 20 seconds before I get to spawn and sometimes I get to technically spawn instantly once the loading is done ?

1 Like

Any major changes to game modes should probably be first tested as limited time events.

1 Like

+1

1 Like

I mean you could do that, and it would be viable to delay to give your team a chance to get ready. But It wouldnt cost the attackers any tickets the way I propsed it. Would simply be a delay action

Can buy your team up to a minute MAX, or less if the attackers kill you all.

When I say warmup, i dont mean sitting waiting at the spawn screen. I mean spawned in, running around in your area (but can’t leave the spawn general area or fire weapons outside of it)

just an option to spawn in and disperse “Before” the firing starts.

Yeh, plenty of games has it and I honestly hate it

But in this form does make sense, considering the instant hvar spam in pacific.

1 Like

all good. Im just throwing out potential ways to address two particular snowball issues.

If you got better suggestions throw them out there! :slight_smile:

1 Like

indeed, which I refer back to this

Sorry, Missed this one. Technically yes.

But the defenders will still ultimately have way more tickets (thats the general Idea)…so if they get out farmed “first”…Id say they deserved to lose dont you?

more so than deserving to win by unlimited wave spamming anyway. Thats just how I see it.

Generally, sure.
But as some maps favor attackers with high grounds and such, it would require some map overhaul as well.

Thats the core issue of nonlimited tickets, regardless casual randoms hardly abuse this

1 Like

I quite literally made a post about this four months ago, and I still standby how I felt and currently feel. I believe that that absolutely needs to be implemented, regardless of Allied axis Russian or Japanese players, it needs to be a Mechanic of invasion no matter what. Nothing sucks more than getting steamrolled by BR five Axis or Allied troops, while you currently can’t even defend the objective at hand; then paratroopers are dropping on the next objective the moment the previous objective is lost, then they are on top of the new objective every single time the objective is moved lost during the “fallback/retreat”. The game is usually over within or less than 10 minutes, and it is absolutely abysmal for new players and veterans, because it is a waste of time and effort. Let alone a waste of XP bonuses and boosters if those are applied too.

Great post dude, very good points! :+1:

2 Likes

Thankyou sir!!

I do believe the Clearing out defenders before advancing was a mechanic in BF 1 Rush game mode.

IMO it was a great natural mechanic that gets in the way of total snowball.

1 Like

I ran out of hearts but I :heart: the post and comment!

Yes BF1 had a great mechanic and that mechanic followed into BFV!

2 Likes