Japans BR-5 Assault Rifle, "1934 Model 2a" (Type 2a SMG)

https://www.reddit.com/r/ForgottenWeapons/comments/bz1cr9/type_ii_nambu_pattern_a/

Not much is known about the weapon except for the fact that it’s chambered for a more powerful than .45 ACP and 7.62×25mm Tokarev round (6.5×30mmSR Type 95) with up to 1350 Joules of energy at 600 meters/second!

Here’s the bullet it fires, it’s semi rimmed just like the 8×22mm Nambu and 6.5×50mm Arisaka, so the mag should have a significant curve to it.
1421738_original

Also I’d like to correct something that devs got wrong, the Type 2a SMG is the experimental 6.5 one, the ones we have in game are the Type 2b.

Prewar Type 2b:
1421388_original (1)

Latewar Type 2b: (has bayonet mount and typically has a poorer finish)
1421006_original

14 Likes

A few SMG prototypes were tested in the experimental Type 95 6.5×30mm cartridge based on a requirement to be able to “kill soldiers wearing winter clothing at a distance of 700 m”.

The performance of the cartridge is similar to that of .30 Carbine, but with a narrower bullet. It also appears to have a higher mass seeing as it has more energy for the same velocity.
(Ballistic performance of .30 Carbine)

This would be a welcome addition to as it would fill in the assault rifle gap for Japan at BR V.

3 Likes

Jesus Christ, I thought the PPSh would forever be the king of SMGs that could be used at the longest distance but it turns out that that place was already taken 6 years before it even entered service.

Agreed but we need to find an image of the gun, I’d immagine it’s drastically different, there’s no way in hell it’s just a Type 2 action paired with a larger magwell, it has to use a locked breach with a round that powerful.

For reference here’s a Indian JVPC (MSMC) chambered for 5.56×30mm MINSAS, it uses the same operating system as the AK family and fires a 2.6 Gram (40 gr) bullet at 650 m/s (2,100 ft/s) with 550 Joules (410 ft⋅lbf) of muzzle energy out of its 11.8 inch barrel.

msmc

https://modernfirearms.net/#google_vignette

Here’s a chart showcasing the velocity of the 5.56 MINSAS out of different barrel lengths. (Not sure what bullet weight it is and if it’s right)

upload_2017-8-4_9-57-35

Post in thread ‘Small Arms & Tactical Equipment’ Small Arms & Tactical Equipment | Page 6 | Strategic Front Forum

1 Like

Not necessarily, there are firearms chambered in full-power cartridges that use various forms of delayed-blowback.

The Nambu Type 2 had an adjustable pneumatic buffer (hence it has an “auto slow” setting in game). Perhaps it could handle the Type 95 cartridge with a higher pressure in the buffer. This is supported by a website claiming that the 6.5×30mm prototype made use of the same operation: “This submachine gun, while maintaining the general layout of the ‘experimental No. 2’, was adapted to use the 6.5mm cartridge type 95. The design of the automation and control system remained unchanged.” Quite a unique development LOL.

Weirdly, the Japanese Wikipedia page on the Type 100 claims “The prototype Type 95 cartridge was not adopted as a standard, probably because it had no significant difference or advantage in penetration efficacy compared to the 8mm Nambu bullet.” Which contradicts the claimed performance of the cartridge.

There’s another website that I also found linked at the bottom Wikipedia page with some more information on the development of the firearm. But it would be ideal to have a Japanese speaker find original documents for us.

2 Likes

I meant that the gun couldn’t of been direct blowback, delayed blowback counts as a locked breach.

1 Like

No, delayed blowback does not make use of a locked breech. An intuitive example would be the toggle-delay system of the Pedersen rifle. But there are some locked-breech actions that make use of mechanisms that are typically more common in delayed-blowback, such as the roller-lock system used on the MG 42 that shares similarities with the roller-delay system (used on the MG 45 and HK G3). But I agree with the fact that direct blowback is not realistic for a cartridge with such performance.

1 Like

Well, since the Ho Ri also ‘existed’ as a wooden mock up…

1 Like

I mean, the Type 2 (6.5mm) came closer to fruition than the Ho-Ri seeing as it was actually fired. :joy:
FYI that’s just a Type 38 rifle with a Type 96 LMG magazine, not a self-loading firearm. Wouldn’t be needed anyway as we’re getting the Type Hei ULMG. Could be an event or gold order weapon though.

4 Likes

Correct me if im wrong but wasnt the supposed ho ri gun already finished and tested by japan?
These test would certainly require you to shoot that gun.
Only the vehicle itself wasnt ready yet.

It look so close to the type2a smg in the current game but then again sure more gun is good

how do you know we’ew getting the ULMG?

because it literally in the news?
In this new

1 Like

As the previous comment states, it was announced in a dev blog. In which it was referred to as the “Type Hei Automatic rifle”.

2 Likes

oh damn, how did I miss this?

1 Like

with how many topic appear everyday it ok to miss some stuff

anyway I’m looking forward to that double barrel mg tho that thing is probably going to be a beast

1 Like

True. But you never know what the snail has in mind.

It is Type 1, not Type 2

1 Like

6f928258f033f01ef91f7ad8d7928491
20 Round, 6-7 RPS (360-420 RPM)

1 Like

What source is this (I can’t read it)? It would be ideal to find the original documents. I have seen so much conflicting information on this topic that I don’t even want to begin on writing everything that I’ve read. It would be nice to find a resolution finally. As long as we find something in 6.5×30mm to add I’m satisfied.

Wait… is this a thing? ??

1 Like