Japanese Tanks (Their Future in Enlisted, Hopefully...)

OK, fair, unlike the Ho-Ri, the O-I isn’t fictional. But still, why ruin Japan by making it fight vehicles it never fought irl? It’s way better to add new tanks and drop the current ones in BR, more less the way you suggested.

1 Like

This is the Ho-Ri Plan III wooden Mock up…
However the Japanese rejected the design and this is not the one that went into production

Ho-Ri II using Chi-Ri II chassis was the chosen production version.

All the tanks i proposed in the opening tank list are at MINIMUM built prototypes, so no paper fantasy tanks.

1 Like

So no vehicles were produced, right?
I know about that mock-up (which does not count as a prototype) and I’ve heard different versions ranging from “no vehicles were produced” to “5 prototypes were produced”. I can’t read Japanese, but from what I know, no vehicles in any configuration were built.

well official japanese archives say that 5 productions Ho-Ri’s did exist so…

Until Finemolds bought the archives for O-I heavy, people werent sure how it looked and were sure it never existed. But since the archives were released to the public we now know how it looked, its design history as well as the fact it was built and theres even a diary on its mobility tests.

2 Likes

Type 5 Ka-To

Japanese National Archives Reference File C14010919700

By the end of WW2 the Ka-To’s prototype Hull was completed as well as 2x 105mm Type 5 Guns that would of been used for it. Its a open tank destroyer with 75mm frontal armour. As you can see its heavily based on the Na-To.

That goes for the 5 Production Ho-Ri’s as well, they werent fully completed by the time japan surrendered

3 Likes

If a prototype was made then it’s fine I guess. But if we consider the prototype (the premium one from War Thunder) then it could be a tier IV vehicle. It can be penetrated by a 76mm gun from the Sherman, and if the Commonwealth tech tree is implemented the way I suggested it, the Sherman Firefly would go down to BR4 where it belongs, and it would be able to deal with the Ho-Ri even more reliably.

100% - The Allied Tank tiers are broken
Since when is M4A2 (76) the equivalent of Tiger II?

They should go more like this…

Allied Tanks
Tier 1:
M13MGMC [US]
M2A4 [US]
A13 Mk II [UK]

Tier 2
M3 Stuart [US]
M5 Stuart [US]
Grant Mk I [UK]
Crusader Mk III [UK]

Tier 3
M4 [US]
M4A2 [US]
Cromwell I [UK]
Cromwell VIII [UK]

Tier 4
M4A2 (76) [US]
M4A3E2 [US]
Sherman Firefly [UK]
Comet [UK]

Tier 5
Centurion I [UK]
M26 [US]
Super Pershing [US]

3 Likes

If the UK would ever get tier V as a standalone nation (which I really hope it never will), the Centurion Mk 1 would probably be a good tank to counter the Tiger II. But other than that, I once again agree with you - as for now, no US or British tank in the game deserves to be in tier V if we judge them against the German and Soviet tier V tanks.

Unless they choose to allow Post-War but Pre-Korean War stuff

Tanks like Centurion II (November 1945)
Or
FV201 from 1947, which is basically a Caernarvon but with a 17 Pounder
FV201 (1)

I would change the m4a2 76w with m4a3e8. The m4a2 76w was used by ussr

1 Like

Whilst its definitely going to such in Enlisted if its added due to its exposed crew, at least the penetration should be correct

1 Like

I’ve made one for the A34 Comet as well.

The APDS Penetration is based off this report which basically corrected some errors. Initially the British believed the 77mm APDS had 1130m/s muzzle velocity but it turned out it was only 1036m/s and thus they corrected themselves and updated the penetration figures. They are stated at 30 degrees.

1st Gen APDS slope Modifiers from WWII Ballistics: Armour and Gunnery
At 0 degrees = 1.00
At 30 degrees = 1.23
At 60 degrees = 3.57

77mm APDS - 1036m/s
Penetration:
224mm @ 0 Yards at 0 °
182mm @ 0 Yards at 30 ° (182 x 1.23 = 224)
63mm @ 0 Yards at 60 ° (63 x 3.57 = 224)

The 77mm / 17 pdr APDS details:
Projectile Weight: 2.68kg
Penetrator Core Diameter: 38mm
Penetrator Core Weight: 1.74kg
Muzzle Velocity:
77mm OQF Gun = 3400fps / 1036mps
17 Pounder Gun = 3950fps / 1204mps

2 Likes

The only thing i want about Japanese tanks is a buff to the HE of 47mm guns, so the Chi-He and the Shinhoto Chi-Ha are actually playable.

1 Like

I honestly believe Japanese should get some sort of special mechanic added to them at BR5 instead of getting fantasy tanks and weapons. More movement speed and better charges, bigger squads, special anti tank artillery - or who knows what.

These prototypes are all looking like nothing out of WW2.

1 Like

Also imagine the Tiger II H never would have been added, which would have meant that Jumbo Panther and co could have been already BR5.

Staying with the Tiger II P was such a nice power compromise, but nooo, now we are looking at Pershings vs Japanese fairy tale tanks.

The E8 wasn’t even used in combat…

Easy eight sherman was used in ww2

1 Like

I have a major issue with the O-I, and it’s already been said many times: it is way too damn big. The Tiger II is 7.4m long, the O-I is 10m. The width is also a whole meter higher in the O-I.

Also, the O-I crew is supposed to be 11 men, which is even more than a Trooper Squad, and otherwise the tank would be half-empty.

It wouldn’t fit maps well, so I don’t think it should be implemented. Instead just put in the prototype version of the Ho-Ri, the one in War Thunder, and just name it Ho-Ri III.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if infusing the Spirit of Yamato into Japanese soldiers is a good solution:)
And on a more serious note, I think the best solution is just not forcing Japan into tier V. For me Japan is fine as is, the only thing they really need is stronger tanks (but within the limits of the current four BRs).

2 Likes

yeah but Ho-Ri III is a paper tank

1 Like