Japanese BR5 automatic rifle

I don’t think it is only full auto.
Capture
This is the test document of this gun.
Look at (2)
單發及連發機構有ス
It means it has single shot and continuous shot mechanism.
https://www.jacar.archives.go.jp/aj/meta/listPhoto?LANG=default&BID=F2006090102524950468&ID=M2006090102525450541&REFCODE=C01007114600

page5 of the pdf.

I don’t know Japanese so I use google translate.

2 Likes

If a Japanese speaker can confirm then we should really let a helper know.
This weapon deserves to be in the game.

yes it can

2 Likes

@Euthymia07
Hi, Im sorry for the tag.
The community did some research and found a very interesting Japanese gun that has the potential to fill the role of Japanese BR5 select fire rifle which Japan is desperately lacking at the moment.

In short:
the prototype MG version (ultra light machine gun) of Type Hei rifle.
20 round magazine, both full-auto and semi-auto settings.

2 Likes

that gonna be has much venon a FG42 is.

but that,s the ideia. it is about a OP gun, and japan is dare need of it.

Thanks for the tag, regarding high tier weapons I’ll just link this post of mine Japan Small Arms Balancing Discussion Thread - #66 by Killerwolf1024

Funny enough there’s plenty of machine gun options for Japan (prototype-improvised-adopted) that aren’t in the game yet.

2 Likes

Should be noted that there is also a 30 round magazine, I’ll post the gif I made again which shows the 30 round mag.

I’ll give some other stats since people are interested in this gun a lot and there sometimes is just plain wrong info on them

(Translated and discussed with a friend of mine)
Name: Ultra-Light Machine gun
Manufacturer: Nippon Special Steel
Length: 1,007mm,
Weight: 5.4/5.6kg
Action: Toggle-lock, closed bolt
Sight: Aperture rear sight with tangent leaf, adjusted by a drum.
Rate of fire: 720rpm
Bayonet lug: yes
Selector switch: Three position (safe, semi and full) selector lever
Reload: by changing mag or loading with clips
Magazine Capacity: 20 round (30 round mag was made as well)
Recoil: worse than Type 96 LMG, but better than infantry rifle.
Overheat: cook offs often occurred
Muzzle velocity: 730m/s
Accuracy: Worse than Type 96 LMG firing in semi at 300 and 700 meters, even with shield attached. Firing in auto at 300 meters, all rounds were in a 4×4m2 square except the first round
Magazin release position:
grafik

If you wonder what the “bar” right in front of the magazine is, our best understanding is that its a dust cover that could be closed when you remove the magazine.

Where normally LMGs would be issued one per squad (分隊) the Ultra-light machine gun would be issued two per squad. We’re not sure if it was crew served but we assume it wasn’t.

Sources:
-試製超軽機関銃審査の件
-“Masterpiece Weapons of the Japanese Army - The Ultimate Weaponry Thorough Study” 日本陸軍の傑作兵器駄作兵器―究極の武器徹底研究 by Jiro Sayama ( 佐山 二郎) page 61-69

3 Likes