[Guide] Import 3D models into Dagor Engine (and Enlisted)

Custom missions are cool and great, but the current maps of Enlisted limit the true potential of Enlisted mods.

There are two ways to create a new level for this game. One is importing a complete 3d model into the game and using that as a map. The other is more sophisticated, and it’s currently impossible to do. (heightmap + landclass + custom RI)

At the time of writing this guide, custom textures (dxp) are not recognized by the editor, or the game, and it will not load. All your maps will be textureless.

Let’s begin. You will need the following programs:

To install the plugin you will need to copy all the files into C:/Program Files/Autodesk/3ds Max 2020/stdplugin

kép

cfg files are important!

I am going to import this 3d model, metropolis from Gmod:

Download the model and unzip it’s content. Format shouldn’t matter, but .OBJ tends to work good enough.

We need an:

• OBJ file / File supported by 3dsmax
  • MTL file (material library). Without this, the program won’t know which texture belongs to which surface.
  • The textures

Launch 3dsmax. Open the OBJ file:

kép

kép

Before importing, you have to have these settings turned on:

kép

• Import as single mesh (not mandatory, use it when it doesn’t cause texture problems)
  • Auto Smooth - must be enabled

Convert to meter is optional, and it depends on how the model was created. Press import.

There are cases when the OBJ has incorrect information about the whereabouts of the MTL file.

kép

Simply open the OBJ file with a text editor and edit the path:

kép

Restart the import process and it should work now.

We are presented with the model:

The model needs to be modified so it can be exported into .DAG format. .DAG contains model and texture data that Dagor Engine can handle.

First, open the material tab by pressing M.

kép

This model has 1000 materials. if you click on the first material’s property (third column) you can modify the type of this material:

kép

Click on standard and change it to DagorMat2.

Another important bit. You must set a class for DagorMat. There are lot of them, you need to choose depending on what you want to achieve. If you forget this step, the model will throw missing shader error and won’t show up later

I have used simple_aces ,you should too, unless you know what you’re doing.

kép

Changing material types will reset the diffuse texture. You will need to re-set it from scene materials.

Now obviously we don’t wan’t to change the material type 1000 times manually. Fortunetly, we have tools for that.

Press the wrench icon on the right.

kép

Click “more”

kép

And select Dagor Utility

kép

Open the material tab and you will find stdMat --> DagorMat and DagorMat --> stdMat options. And
matClass

kép

You should specify a class in Mat class. in my case, simple_aces. With the material tab open, press stdMat --> DagorMat. Wait for the operation to finish. The program may freeze during the process.

Now every material is a DagorMat:

kép

And they have simple_aces class.

kép

Model may turn textureless after this process. That’s fine.

Before exporting, we need to do one more thing; Get rid of degenerate triangles. Press the button and wait till 3dsmax unfreezes. (in the same toolset)
kép

kép

You will get info when process finishes.

Now open Dagor Scene Export from the “more” tab and export the .DAG file.

kép

If you want to only export selected models enable the “sel” option.

If you have downloaded and set up DaEditor corectly, you will have 3 folders:

kép

• outerSpace - the sample projects
  • tools - the editor itself

inside outerSpace\develop\assets create a folder named “metropolis” (name doesn’t matter) and save the .DAG file there.

You might get this error:

kép

It doesn’t matter. The model will export just fine.

Now we need to convert the PNG textures into .TIF format. (TIFF is not recognized by Dagor despite being the same format!) .TGA is being deprecated don’t use that.

Convert the textures to TIF. I used the following programs:

then I used (https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/) to rename the extension from TIFF to TIF.

Copy the converted TIF into the folder next to the DAG file.

Now the game should recognize our model and load the textures.

Open DaEditor\tools\dagor3_cdk\bin64\daEditor3x-dev.exe and launch a sample mission.

You either opened the map with a space station or the map with gaija_island.

Press create entity:

And add the model we’ve just created:

kép
(press RMB on the scene)
kép

Our object is too small. Just like in the editor, use the scale tool to resize it.

kép

As you can see the scenery object textures are broken. It’s all upto you, how you export it from 3dsmax, i’m still new to this too, it needs more research and practice.

But the meaningful part of the map is fine.

Let’s export it into Enlisted.

If you have the island map open, restart the program and open the space station map. Gaija Island map will crash the game because it cannot read the landclass textures.

CTRL+A and delete everything. Enlisted doesn’t have this RI and will throw errors in editor.

Place the model on the map:

To get the scale right, place down a sample_bunker:

Then delete it. I would place the map above Y=0.

We are ready to export:

kép

kép

Name it whatever you want. Press Save. Check the console for progress. The program may freeze during export process.

If you get an error regarding collision (something like 40mb max) Increase this number (the middle one under collision tab) (leaf size:)

kép

However level.bin does not contain object textures. We need to export it into DXP format. Open Assetviewer in the tools folder:

Note that DaEditor Assetviewer is broken, it doesn’t show models:

To export textures and models right click on the folder and export all (with sub folders when needed):

kép

And it will insert unneccesary prefix into the filename after export, which you should remove:

kép

(If you add this to the right folder in War Thunder it will load the model textures.)

Enlisted cannot load custom DXP and GRP at the moment.

Load the level binary with a custom level.blk file.

And that’s it, you’ve loaded a 3d model into the game! ( i hope)

Things that don’t work:

• game_decor and RI in general
  • Built object with engineering hammer have no collision
  • Navmesh generation crashes the editor
  • scene_ladder

You can play these online.

Result folder:
metropolis.zip (8.5 MB)

DAG file:
metropolis.dag.txt (26.2 MB)

More info:

10 Likes

I want to ask if you can provide the download links for the pages of programs (since it will make more people try this out and also reduce the monthly revenue of scam/virus sites)

Also, how to get patience.exe? (Ok i am just joking lol)
Anyways i will read more of the post later to help improve it. It will help increase the modding community in enlisted and also other games

I want to ask if you can provide the download links for the pages of programs (since it will make more people try this out and also reduce the monthly revenue of scam/virus sites)

I want to ask it is possible to import the Natch der Toten from Call of Duty World at War with the program you use? (Or maybe the one on BO3 zombie chronicles, but I only have W@W so i ask this way.)

Or maybe the one on BO3 zombie chronicles

Not worth it. The raw map model has barely anything, and the assets placed on the map are not exported.

possible to import the Natch der Toten from Call of Duty World at War.

Do your research :slight_smile: I have no idea. If you can find a program that can rip the map model as OBJ + the textures then probably yes.

Bruh then. Well at least we can kinda draw nacht der toten out with blender i guess, if anyone were to do it (i might do it after i finished my university entry exam which is a year later)

I got Nuketown:

1 Like

I wonder if verruk, shi no numa and der riese work. There are already nuke town maps (your map lol)

Yeah, but that is not real nuketown…

1 Like

Excuse me. I just followed this tutorials and converted the textures. But the texture is still missing, the errors relate to source textures. Why?

DM me with the model and it’s textures.

Afaik, the DAG file will look for the textures in the same hierarchy as it was imported into 3dsmax. For example if the textures were in folder1/folder2/folder3 , the TIF files should be too.

If the TIF are not in the same folder as the DAG file the game won’t find it.

This is the originally exported hirachy

This is where I put them in engine

By original i mean the Wavefront (OBJ) file + the folder with textures

Like this:

kép

Wrong folder. Copy to outerSpace/develop/assets

kép

I see. I am using testGI not outerspace project as main root.
Now I redo the whole process with another set of asset and now it could read the textures properly. The only problem is the model seems too big and it crashed the editor(A scene with over 1M polygon)

Also: About textures, using ImageMagick can be faster:

magick mogrify -format tif *.bmp

1 Like

DAG file should be no more than 50Mb.

Well it’s 48.2 mb…A little too close?

There is no hard limit. It’s just my advice.

1 Like

Just tried a simple polygon mesh.
While it is imported, materials seems to be missing.

I have said in the guide that textures won’t be visible in asset viewer because it’s broken and bugged. To view assets with textures use warthunderCDK’s asset viewer as that works well.