Finnish Campaign Thread

The Finnish Wars, Winter War 1939-1940, Continuation War 1941-1944 and the Lapland War 1944-1945 have equipment from a bunch of different nations, battlefields ranging from snowy fields and frozen lakes, to hot summers in the rocky and sandy Karelian forests all the way up to city fighting in Viipuri and truly different terrain of the Finnish rocky and sparsely populated Lapland.

What else is there to an interesting campaign?

Currently I have somewhat finished the campaigns levels for the Finnish side, although everything is a work in progress and this forum thread hopefully can help to develop this project.

How this differs from the other campaigns in a VERY crucial way is that this single campaign has battles from almost 6 years time. I though of a solution in this way:

-Up to campaign level 11 is stuff seen in the Winter War. The stuff past this level would not be available for use in those battles. If you have squads in your line up that arent available here, like Flametroopers for example, you would have a possibility to change the squad at the starting screen of the fight.
-There are 3 factions. Finland, USSR and Germans. I havent really figured out how to incorporate the Germans, if you get a Lapland War battle and queued as the Soviets, you would end up being the Germans and facing the Finns. The german weapons could be the same as in Normandy as the battles happened after that campaign, or they could just be a preset of squads and the XP goes to the Soviet corresponding squads, if someone has some good ideas PLEASE tell them.
-Most of the really intense battles of the Continuation War happened in 1944 so we could include only battles from that year, in that way there wouldnt be the issue of having a SMG m/44 in a 1941 battle.

Here is the Campaign Level list:

Download the image for full resolution! Most of the pictures are from SA-Kuva.

Here are the links to all the weapons, they are in Finnish as some dont have English sources, but pictures arent language-bound anyway:
Rifles
Mosin–Nagant - Wikipedia .
Jalkaväenkivääri M/27 – Wikipedia .
M/28 – Wikipedia .
Sotilaskivääri m/39 – Wikipedia .
Carcano - Wikipedia .
SVT-40 - Wikipedia .
AVS-36 - Wikipedia .
Swedish Mauser - Wikipedia Premium?
LMG:
Lahti-Saloranta M/26 – Wikipedia
Chauchat - Wikipedia Was used by the Finns (Premium?)
Degtyaryov machine gun - Wikipedia
Machine Pistols (SMG):
Suomi KP/-31 - Wikipedia
https://www.varusteleka.fi/pictures/thumbs500a/19309.jpg (one with a muzzle brake)
KP m/44 submachine gun - Wikipedia
Gunwritersin Suomi-KP:n historia, osa 1 (Premium squad m26?)
Pistols:
Luger pistol - Wikipedia
Lahti L-35 - Wikipedia
Flamethrowers:
Lanciafiamme Modello 35 - Wikipedia
ROKS flamethrowers - Wikipedia
Throwable stuff:
Molotov cocktail - Wikipedia
Kasapanos – Wikipedia
File:Käsikranaatti m32.JPG - Wikimedia Commons
File:Varsikäsikranaatti m32.JPG - Wikimedia Commons
Anti-tank weapons:
Lahti L-39 - Wikipedia
Panzerfaust - Wikipedia
Panzerschreck - Wikipedia
Mortar:
81 mm kranaatinheitin M/38 (81 Krh/38) - Waffenlager.net
Tanks:
BA-10 - Wikipedia
Vickers 6-ton – Wikipedia 37mm version
T-28 - Wikipedia
T-34 - Wikipedia
SturmgeschĂźtz III - Wikipedia
Planes:
Fokker D.XXI - Wikipedia
Bristol Blenheim - Wikipedia
Fiat G.50 Freccia - Wikipedia
Gloster Gladiator - Wikipedia
Brewster F2A Buffalo - Wikipedia
Messerschmitt Bf 109 - Wikipedia G6
Junkers Ju 88 - Wikipedia
Dornier Do 17 - Wikipedia
Morane-Saulnier M.S.406 - Wikipedia
AT-Guns:
Bofors 37 mm anti-tank gun - Wikipedia
7.5 cm Pak 40 - Wikipedia
AA-guns:
Madsen 20 mm cannon - Wikipedia
20 ITK 40 VKT - Wikipedia
HMG:
Maxim M/32-33 - Wikipedia Notice the added bolt accelerator raising the RoF from 500-550 to 800rpm.

What is a HMG squad?? This for example:

THE BATTLES

There are a few extremely large scale individual battles and a lot of smaller skirmishes, here is an example:

Winter War:
Yellow 1: Battle of Raate Road - Wikipedia .
Yellow 2: Karjalankannaksen taistelut talvisodassa – Wikipedia Summa

Continuation War:
Green 1: Battle of Viipuri
Green 2: Tali-Ihantala
Green 3: Syväri (River Svir), it was a trench warfare with constant raiding like in WW1 from -41 to -44
Vyborg–Petrozavodsk offensive - Wikipedia .

Lapland War:
Blue 1: Battle of Tornio https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tornio .

Thank you for thoroughly reading this post before commenting.

45 Likes

Lapland war had battles where the Red army attacked the Germans in the eastern parts of Lapland. However the balance problem is that the only tanks the Germans had in Lapland were early war French tanks like the Somua S.35, while the Finns had T-34/76s and Pz. IV Js

2 Likes

May I also suggest adding Swedish Mausers as a high-level Bolt-Action? The Swedes sent 77,000 m/96 Long Rifles, 40,000-ish m/96-38s and m/38s, and around 20,000 m/94-14 abs m/94 carbines to Finland. They all fired the 6.5x55 cartridge (which is known for it’s accuracy) and saw a decent amount of frontline use as well as second line.

3 Likes

Since the people at the snail don’t care about what front things would be used in (as shown by the Polish BAR in Normandy) they could just give them Panzer IIIs and IVs

2 Likes

just
upvote
the
thread

3 Likes

Again…
Not a lot of people will play “minor battles” like this, most will just stick to the big ones and won’t pay for the stuff in the smaller ones (and the most important part of every campaign is to be profitable…) it really seems like waste of development time for both sides, the players and the dev.

This would be pretty cool. Haven’t seen a lot of Finland in other games (I think only that Red Orchestra 2 mod did it) anyway. Good suggestion.

5 Likes

not a minor battle it was a war in itself

Also BF2 mod ‘Forgotten hope 2’ have Finnish battles.

3 Likes

Thats what, 15 years old

Mod that is still Alive and is played.

After looking at this you did put in a lot of effort, good job.
But I would like this as a far off in the future thing. Still good!

2 Likes

I’d really like to see all battles in this game tbh, but just think about it before saying yes.

How different it is to Moscow?
How the two sides are different in terms of vehicles and guns?

For the Soviet side the weapon, tanks and even almost all planes would be literally the same as Moscow…
If I want to play Soviets, why wouldn’t I just play Moscow aka battle that I can grind right now without wipe or anything.
And if all Soviets gonna play Moscow? Who the Finnish gonna fight?

Q:How different it is to Moscow?
A:Having guns and battles in all 4 seasons, from 6 years time and possible having 3 factions. Unique Winter War weapons for the Soviets such as SMK heavy tank, AVS-36, Fedorov Avtomat, PPD-34 should be removed from Moscow and placed in this campagin because historically it was so.

Q:How the two sides are different in terms of vehicles and guns?
A: Partially mentioned above, will add that Soviets will face completely different vehicles as they often face their own captured vehicles. Planes are French, British and American mostly, so those they havent faced.

And if all Soviets gonna play Moscow? Who the Finnish gonna fight? The game has a playerbase larger than a couple of hundread peoples, Moscow will phistle out anyway at some point because everyone has everything, this campaign would range to 1945 when Moscow is only 1941, a lot of tanks and weapons are left out in Moscow that could be added for Soviets here.

2 Likes

Ok but where? Campaigns are based on individual battles not theaters of combat. Moscow only covers the Battle of Moscow and not the entire eastern front early in the war. Same with D-Day, it only covers the beach landings and the immediate towns and villages not all of the western front.

Correct. As of now they cover only one Battle. I dont see an issue having multiple different battles from a single campaign if the equipment is somewhat historical, which it IS NOT even in the campaigns we have now.

2 Likes

Regardless of equipment, the maps are based off the real locations to a strong level of detail

So where would it take place?

May the snow start speaking Finnish

Thanks for the meme idea @5762269
Screenshot (247)

Fair enough, just give me that sweet SMK battle ship