An Open Letter to Darkflow

We are making History with this one, thanks to everyone who cared from the start .

2 Likes

Excellent post, detailed and well composed. You would have to be a fool to ignore this. The number of veterans from all clans coming together to make this document was truly a sight to see.

8 Likes

I have never played a game that is more regularly updated then Enlisted. Most games by so called AAA publishers like EA or Activision can go many months with no news or updates, just look at the past few Battlefield games. The last Battlefield game went the first 6 months with only bug fix updates and no new content and then released I think 4 or 5 new maps in like 3 years, which was very weak. With Enlisted the main site is updated at least every 2 weeks, often every week there will be an update, and new maps are released every few months.

As for no roadmap, they tried releasing a roadmap in 2023 and it was interesting to get an idea of what they were working on but the timeline ended up being way off for things like the campaign merge. So I think in 2024 they just didn’t bother making a schedule to follow and just release updates every few weeks instead.

I think expanding on the tutorials would be a great idea, but I can see how that is maybe something that will be done toward the end of the beta version when they get closer to a full release so the tutorial can be accurate with the game mechanics it teaches, which do change somewhat still.

Plane and tank cycling I do not think is a huge problem. If you are spawning in a plane and kamikaze crashing right away just to get the best plane you get put on a timer and have to wait like 30 seconds to respawn as a plane so you cant just spawn in and kill yourself to cycle the good planes. There is nothing wrong with cycling between 3 planes or 3 tanks if you bought the extra squad slots and are playing normally and get killed normally. It is a combined arms game with vehicles and infantry.

I don’t like the idea of forcing infantry spawns, players will use infantry teams and vehicles depending on what is needed in the battle and what they have at their disposal. Getting locked out of any squad, especially when you have actually spent money on extra squad slots to help support the game is a bad idea, the game should not out go out of its way to accommodate the free-to-play players.

You go on to say how grey zoning tanks is a problem–which it can be–but the solution to grey zoning tanks is actually cycling planes to blow them up every time they respawn, and that is a solution already in the game.

The silver gain is kind of low but I think the free-to-play experience should be thought of more as a “demo” version of the game. I do agree that premium silver gain could be made higher, but I think the best way to get more silver is to have more constant events, and more rewards in events. They have been doing good in the last few months having smaller events in between the larger events which have tasks you can do for more silver, which are mostly fun and encourage players to play more, which is good overall. I think they have an option to buy silver for people who do not want to play the game and earn it.

Any implementation of increased communication is a bad idea. There is text chat in the game if you really must relay relevant information and a chat wheel with some basic chat commands. Maybe the chat wheel commands could be more specific but the last thing the game needs is a way to make it easier for players to stack up.

There should be no “friends” system in the game and players should not be able to form teams or organize because that is how you get unbalanced games. Social playing or organizing should be restricted to custom games. Anti cheat should prevent players using third party voice software to organize or communicate during games because it is basically cheating.

I agree conquest, confrontation and train modes can be tweaked, but I don’t hate them as much as some people do. I think larger conquest maps would be good. Skipping forward a bit to map variety I think Moscow and Tunisia should be in the late BRs. Normandy has some of the worst maps but its the bulk of what USA players get at BR5. Tunisia has so much more interesting maps, and yes they would play different at BRV but that is the point of BRV. Same with Moscow. The low level Soviets literally suck to play as with only the PPS42/43 submachineguns being good, so Moscow is kind of lost, I literally play only low BR Germany because its the only time I get to play Moscow maps. High BR USA and Soviets should get to play all maps.

Booster selection is a good idea but people will probably abuse it. I just consider boosters a nice benefit, because I know if I get a 200% booster I will get put in a game that is over in 7 minutes. I don’t get upset about wasted boosters, its just nice if they work out, but usually they don’t.

I agree that customization is a little much, especially if you have a lot of squads and you want to change them. I think maybe some customization options should be transferable between campaigns.

In general I don’t like petitions to developers cause some things are a good idea, but maybe not everything is a good idea, and maybe some thing are still lacking, like no mention of punishing deserters.

1 Like

Wow i am sorry but thats just rude
Because of such aystem we managed to find new friend in wt that we can talk with about the game we play together, i mean yeah teams stacks are bad and etc but i have to object to you point, because what the point of playing a game and never make a new friends there, because of this tons of discord channels exist, because of friends that you want to separate you wouldt get this doc, because its a work of not just one guy, but many.

Make your game antagonize players, no one will play it

4 Likes

New mechanics are often paywalled or are considered “half-baked” among the community; many items are introduced once and then never touched again. Paratroopers still have not reached the tech tree, being locked behind premiums and events. Only the USSR has paratroopers that can swap their primary weapons. Rocket Artillery is locked behind premiums and future event squads. Drop tanks are nearly useless due to low damage and are only in the US and Japan. Riders only belong to Germany and the US, and are widely considered useless. Heavy Mortars only belong to the USSR and Germany. Many premium squads also lack engineers and antitank soldiers

I completely agree with this one, theres many different things that we have that could very well be expanded upon such as the riders which could be turned into rider 2 with jeeps and something like the drop tanks which could be buffed and given to the other factions. But one thing I really agree with is the paywalling/event locking issues, this way of doing things leads to people not being able to experience all the content the game has to offer. Not every player can pay money for a premium or do an event, it’s especially hard on new players who see something like the paratroopers and thing they are cool but find out its a 40$ premium or events that they weren’t there for. These things really hinder the experience of players and should have free versions in the Tech Tree while the events and premiums can bring unique weapons and or uniforms to the table.

4 Likes

This is just too harsh. The 30-second wait and requirement for an infantry squad to be played are enough. Imagine a newbie gets into a game for the first time and wants to play with a tank or a plane but can’t because he doesn’t have a high enough score. That would be denying him one of the main parts of the Enlisted experience.

Each nation should have its better guns, but why completely take HE for AT guns away? It is very useful for each team and has a place on the battlefield. Can’t the HE ammunition be split in half instead?

Other than these two solutions, I completely agree with everything else. Thank you for organizing the agenda of what needs to be fixed in Enlisted.

6 Likes

should just remove the HE shells from the grey zoning tanks as well then.

3 Likes

I think this suggestion just comes from that old Walker event they did and because it has been tossed around before. I am more preferential towards forcing one infantry spawn between vehicle spawns as it lets everyone get a chance to play in vehicles and prevents someone like me who can run 7 vehicles from hogging them all game.

5 Likes

Oof. Thats s a large writeup!

At a skim read I like many of the points, not so hot on others. Will read again properly later

2 Likes

¡ Implement Stack-Based Matchmaking
I agree with some of the stuff proposed, but the stack-based matchmaking is something I’m not sure about. Obviously players who stack up will generally perform better than players who don’t. The root of my concern is that it might disincentivize people from playing with their friends. Especially bad players, who will get generally tougher games if they play with their friends. However it is a valid point that stacks can create unenjoyable experiences if they make the match onesided quickly.

1 Like

at least for me, the silver economy improvements is one of the most important areas in need of improvement.

2 Likes

Based

According to CCP, the Chinese have their own servers/ game version and they had full split BR MM and it is apparently PvE most of the time. So yeah, if China is already that bad, I dont know how well the smaller nations are overall.

Everything doesn’t need to be explained. But a simple "hey these things are acknowledged. These suggestions are being looked into, but no guarantee will make it. And these are in progress. The details can be left vaguer until they are more solid in their substance, but even bullet points or such would be a great step forward. There is a difference between things are under wraps and just not communicating enough to the community. Things they COULD do better:

Patchnotes being posted BEFORE an update … Say hey, at 0 UTC this update will be going live, and will automatically download. Below are the changes: …etc (why do we get a download and have to wait sometimes 30 - 60 minutes for patchnotes to be available, heck sometimes there just isn’t a patchnote released with a download).

Marking in patchnotes an icon that indicates player suggestion. This reinforces that player suggestions are taken into account.

Having a weekly or bi-weekly “Enlisted in Development” where they go and just show some notes of what is being worked, give a general idea of what is to come.

Having somewhere that has a consolidated list of known bugs that are acknowledged, and/or being worked on pinned in the forums (that gets updated regularly). That would also reduce clutter as you would have a central post that shows all known bugs … so you wouldn’t get the same bug report repeatedly as much. This post could have links to the bug reports so if additional info is needed, they have quick reference so players can provide that needed info.

having the same for small QOL changes that have been suggested to know what has been passed to devs and what is being worked on would also be a HUGE step forward.

5 Likes

youre being counterproductive here, why’s that? feels like you just want darkflow to keep a monopoly on information we as players deserve have access to, dont antagonize because of your position within the community.

1 Like

Very important messages here… hopefully everything can acknowledged or met with answers accordingly.

1 Like

I think they made a mistake making the 2023 roadmap have semi-dates / quarters. It should just be “Short Term Goals, Mid Term Goals, Long Term Goals” for the next year. Would be less stress and less, “where is this change?”.

1 Like

Communication sucks and devs seems to pull off arguments out of their hat.

Prime Example: MM Rework.
The past slogan was: Not enough player.
Now there are enough players all of the sudden. Yeah, its nice that we finally have it but I am still confused why it did take so long. Where are those data?

No one really knows what they are working expect for dev blog once, maybe twice a month and sometimes it was wrong all along. So most of the time it is not even about wheter it is explainable or not but if they even boter to do at all.

2 Likes

I don’t agree with all of these points/solutions, but I agree with enough of them that I signed the letter.

These are longstanding issues that need to be resolved if Enlisted is going to continue being a successful game, that we all love to play (nobody wants another H&G).
I hope this can serve as a wake-up call for the developers, as the way they have been running the ship since the merge, to put it mildly, is not great.

2 Likes

This is the main reason I hate SBMM … it ruins the building friendships through gaming aspect. So, I can absolutely agree with this point in this aspect too.

1 Like