Way back when I first started playing, I absolutely HATED bolt action rifles, so I bought the M55 squad and the British Sten Mk III premium squads on the same night, ensuring that my boltie squads could remain in storage. That was back when I only had the original amount of slots, so I only had to play with my assaulter squad, and these two premium. My first 1,450 games were all played with the Allies.
I’d be curious to see what if others remember their first premium squads.
I have that squad now, and since I no longer have a bolt action rifle phobia, I like it. I have a dedicated bolt action rifle line up to play in custom matches when I get bolt action rifle kills as one of my daily goals.
When I bought the Krieghoff FG squad, that was under the assumbtion that I could give them other weapons and bring them into other BRs… I didn’t know at the time that wasn’t a thing you could do… I was less than happy about that when I found out, as you can imagine.
Took me a long, long time until I actually got to try to use that squad with a proper BR V loadout… I’m still salty to this day about it, and I wouldn’t have purchased the squad at the time if I knew the weapons were locked.
Still, the Krieghoff is my favourite SF rifle… which is something, I guess… but I want my MP 40 paratroopers, man! I want to land troops with actual FG 42s at times as well, not prototypes!
The first premium I’ve bought was the New Zeland (or maybe Austrailian, sorry lads) assault squad from Tunisia compain. Then got Italian Flametroopers after I’ve maxed British side of Tunisia.
Still Use both of the Squads)
I played my first year and a half before I started my second faction, the Germans. I bought the MP18 squad first for the same reason as I bought the two Allied squads, to get around having to use rifle squads. I bought the APC’s pretty early on as well, but they weren’t the first.
I bought my first squads some times after the merge when I finally decided to invest some money into the game.
I bought the Pz III M and thd Chaffee at BR2. Both of which were (and still are) powerhouses at this BR.
I then proceed to purchase all four premium APCs which are most likely the best premium squad you can purchase because of their versatility and the fact that you always want an APC in your BR2+ lineup (I could argue against the LVT though given how fat, slow and awkward to place that thing is)
Other than the medic beginner kit for USA, it was the LVT 4 love it but a little slow as IRL…
Bunch of stuff for gold but I’m not sure what came fist other than the elite BP likely one of the various engineer squads. Initially I only got stuff for USA but that changed.
(edit) the BP was for the .303 browning as I didn’t want to miss stuff like the Winchester lever shotgun.