AI teammates are always half a beat behind me and cannot keep up

Increase the AI’s responsiveness and improve their ability to keep up when following the player
  • yes
  • no
0 voters

It’s already frustrating enough that AI wanders around recklessly and gets killed when you issue the hold position command.

What makes me even angrier now is that if I don’t mark waypoints on the minimap, the AI always maintains a fixed distance away from me. Sometimes I spawn, run forward for a stretch to attack the capture point, then get killed. When I switch to my AI squadmates, they haven’t moved an inch and are extremely far from the objective.

Constantly placing markers on the minimap gets tedious. What’s more, objective indicators on the map occasionally vanish for no obvious reason. I’m not sure if this is a bug.

Whether you spawn from an APC or regular spawn point, squad AI always react sluggishly, keep their distance, and fail to rush alongside you immediately. Even enabling the tight formation option does not fix this.

Loose formation settings should not mean the player leads the charge while all AI trail far behind.
During one Pacific map match, I fought inside the objective for two full minutes. After I died and switched control to an AI soldier, I found them stuck in the water and unable to move onto the shore.

Issues like this completely ruin the gameplay experience.

6 Likes

yeah haha the AI always goes swimming in the pacific, weather is nice I guess lol

2 Likes

No one complains about the absolute horrible squad bots then I do. If you run out of a building, you’re 20 or 30 meters away before you see the first bot pop out of the building. If you are sprinting it doesn’t take long to lose site of your bots. We’re supposed to be at war, but for some reason the Dev’s told our squad bots that this was a Sunday picnic in the park with the wife and kids.

There are so many things wrong with our bots, but the Dev’s seem only concerned with making the computer controlled enemy bots more Rambo all the time, which I am fine with as they’re better competition. I just want bots that will keep up, stay the f**k where you order them, use the same entry and exit point in buildings that you do and keep out of the way when you’re trying to shoot. I feel like I am doing a square dance when i am trying to shoot while dancing to the left and dancing to the right as my bot keeps moving what ever direction I move. I don’t care if my bots ever kill anyone, but for Pete sake, keep up and keep out of the way. If they can’t be programmed to stay out of the way, then make them INVISIBLE to our bullets so they are not absorbing our shots while the enemy is killing the bot and you.

Nothing will happen as I am convinced the Dev’s made them this pathetic as they view them as cheap suicidal cannon fodder. However, that cheap suicidal cannon fodder burns 70% of your tickets. :joy:

1 Like

I did be happy if the bots would stop leaving me with exactly 3 bullets.

Some better pathfinding and a little bit more awareness, ergo using a safe/er pathway with cover, take cover drop for bombs, and not standing on top of a fence like a cat for AI would go a long way.

1 Like

The AI simply can’t keep pace. Wherever I go or mark objectives, they stay at least 5 meters back.
I reach cover safely alone, while my AI guerrillas get exposed and eliminated on the way due to the gap.
I can’t keep swapping between six teammates and constantly run around to herd them.

Guerrillas usually can’t keep up when sent to the rear. They stop to fight foes and get killed, often leaving a single survivor.
Perhaps devs added Spies since they can’t fix the AI follow code. The Spy acts as a simplified guerrilla.
Shifting guerrillas from front combat to behind-enemy-line missions usually results in all AI dying, only the player remains.

Just do trial and error with the bot commands, sometimes they can keep up with me while i was doing a bayonet or melee charge or sprint.

Instead of only pressing 1 order of move there order double press it.

Double press it as a squad order not a individual order

Or while sprinting or charging double press the move there order to the location u them to go.

I noticed that sometimes when i sprint or charge while doing this and change to a different soldier behind me the stamina is actually getting drained

1 Like

This why i prefer personal order when placing bots and squad order when maneuvering

Giving a squad placement order in a building is a nightmare and bad for ur bots health.

1 Like

The bots do not follow orders properly. If you command them to move from one street to another objective in Stalingrad, they will stop and open fire the moment they spot enemies mid‑move. They draw enemy fire and get killed pointlessly very quickly.

Even the AI in Metal Gear Solid can seek cover while advancing, peek out to engage foes, and follow behind tanks to provide supporting fire. It behaves almost like real human soldiers.

By comparison, Enlisted’s bots feel extremely unintelligent.

The game lacks sufficient polish. Bots act little more than probabilistic static turrets and extra lives for players. This makes matches feel more like PVE.

1 Like

Exactly. You and your bots start from the exact same spot with identical sprint‑related skills. Just because you hold Shift to sprint while the bots do not, a huge gap opens up immediately.

When you turn around and order them to catch up, you notice stamina drains at the same rate for both you and the bots. This is really strange and a major issue.

It makes me wonder if DF has hidden debuffs applied to AI units. Even with matching perks, bots cannot keep pace and stay close to human players. They simply cannot maintain a consistent short follow‑up distance, despite equal stamina regeneration and sprint bonuses

1 Like

Well one of the reasons is just server latency. Like that even if the bots DID sprint with you, they’d still have a decent gap behind you as well the time it takes for the server to see what you’re doing ping a response back tot he bots and for the bots to follow it… takes time.
And yes it is about that clunky.
Unlike commands going to pure bot squads from the server, As that just sees your in range, Immediately tells them to Melee, which has a much faster action speed overall as it isn’t relying on a large two way trip of info.

Also this isn’t Metal Gear, Metal Gear runs entirely on your system and doesn’t need to send multiple commands back and forth from your PC, other players PCs, and the server all at once. Which makes running more responsive code much easier. Also metal Gear kinda has a lot less… stuff built into it that needs interactions. In a way that makes most of the existing interactions not need interactions on interactions to get things done.

2 Likes

So server latency could be why bots act slower even under identical conditions.
I really hate this. I wish bots could be smarter, but not overly intelligent. Dreadful lag.

This also explains a common scenario: when I spot incoming bombs and hit the deck immediately, my AI teammates cannot react at the same time. They only go prone after the detonation and end up getting wiped out.

Besides, bots fail to take cover and fire from behind protection, which seems to be poorly implemented by DF. Frequently they block my line‑of‑sight for anti‑tank guns, small‑arms and even block building placements. It is really annoying. I suspect the cover‑seeking code is unfinished or suffers from code conflicts.

Given orders to relocate or fall back urgently, bots will randomly open fire mid‑route, draw enemy attention and get themselves killed. Their behaviour is incredibly dumb. It is like in PUBG: you could sneak past enemies quietly, yet they choose to shoot and give away your position, leading to total team failure.

It is in the least a contributing or exaggerating factor. Making what is already slow even slower.

That said some behaviours are just the bots being programmed to be stupid.

1 Like

Mind you…the devs “fixed” the bots getting in your line of sight, yet they are still running in front of players, getting them fucking killed with their own grenade launchers and rockets…

I would not trust official statements too much.
They claim fixes are done, yet the actual results can be underwhelming.

Take the previous bug fix for example. They said they resolved the issue where AI teammates would stand on spawn‑point and build‑site markers and block you from placing spawns.
And look what is happening now. The problem still persists.

Well it’s gaijin/Darkflow you can’t really be suprised son…

And yeah I guess fixing AI bots which Y’ALL brought into the game since…2021 and at that point why even bring bots into this game, when y’all can’t fix some of it’s main problems?

Haha, if that happens, it will just end up being a cheap online copy‑cat of Battlefield 5.
Its only selling point would be the Eastern Front, which Battlefield 5 never got to implement.
A game like that would not last long, similar to the Lone Wolf mode inside this game.

In truth, many players still stick with the game largely because the PVE side is enjoyable. Mowing down bots while also fighting real opponents creates that satisfying mixed‑mode experience.

1 Like

yeah when the bot is in the move they usually dont fire at the enemy infront of them. some times u need to ping the area so that bot can quickly scan the area

Yeah true It will be your usual FPS Shooter-Slop without bots…

It doesn’t take a big-brain to figure out they need bots to be useless in order to pad out player’s K/D.

Once you know this dark terrible truth, getting 50+, 100+ or even 150+ kills doesn’t really mean anything.

I’ve seen pigeons at the park with more unit cohesion and tactical know how.