Why is there no APHE for Allies?

I’m just very curious on why there is no APHE for the 75mm and 76mm guns for the Shermans. Why did DF make this decision?

76mm armed shermans (the american ones not the 17 pdr armed Firefly) and tank destroyers all have APHE.

As for the 75, no one knows. Many people requested the APHE on the allied tanks yet DF never changed it. My opinion is that as the Jumbo dominated Normandy for quite some times, the devs did not want to make it better.

4 Likes

76mm sherman has it.

Really wrecks

Tbh, I am surprised allies do not have blanks loaded in theirs small arms.
They do not deserve anything more than that.

my b for some reason i only remembered there being ap in 76

Let me say what I say all the time, explosive filler was unnecessary in real armored combat.

1 Like

Exept that this is a game where APHE is much more valuable than AP.

The US 75mm AP has 91 mm of pen while there APHE has 103 mm of pen, both better pen and damage. The M72 shot (current AP) was the training round while the M61 APHE was the round used in combat. You argument is not valid this time because 75mm sherman actually used APHE in real combat…

3 Likes

Which is stupid

you missed the part where the ap in game is the training shell not the combat shell and is inferior to said combat shell… (penetration wise)

1 Like

Most of the time it seems like that is the case. I just finished a match with the US vs the Japs, was so frustrated that I ended up standing on the top of a big hill well out of range of killing anyone firing my Thompson at trees and at the general direction of the Japs, and was still the battle hero. :rofl: That is sad because the match was such a one sided ass kicking, I just wanted it to be over. Then afterwards, it turns out that the highest rated person on my team after me was a Second lieutenant, and there were 4 Marshal’s on the opposing side along with a couple Brigadier Generals. I’m a Marshal, not because I’m great, just because I’m retired and have lots of time to play, however, I am playing about a 1/3 what I once was because of the lack of competitive matches make the game far less fun then it once was. In a year and a half with the Allies my win % is 49%, in two months playing with the Germans it is 80%, and in the past couple months playing with the allies I bet out of maybe 30 or 35 games I have only won maybe twice. The game people need to figure something out, or popularity is going to quickly die off. I’ve said this before, but both my kids quit playing it. But the allies could certainly use a wonder weapon to get some of the good players to start playing with them again.

4 Likes

Overall allies are extremely underwhelming experience with exception of planes and few rifles and tanks. You really need to nitpick the good stuff.

The biggest disappointment are Thompsons. They just doesn’t feel satisfying enough. It’s really shame. Unlike Soviets which do have so much fun stuff, western allies are just mediocre dull something that’s not exceptionally interesting.
The most enjoyable and fun stuff of Western allies is mostly locked behind paywall, sadly.

DF should definitely do something with it. And definitely not just adding new powercreep stuff that’s going to put them on the same level with Germans. Western allies should get pretty massive QoL overhaul.

5 Likes

My main gripe is that alot of the commonwealth stuff is Premium or event. Since I have alot of this stuff, I find the Allies very satisfying.

USA has access to most of its iconic stuff, and I find most of it is pretty good. SMGs are a bit lackluster (mainly thompson) but again, since I have event and premium squads, I can compensate (lanchester 50 round, silenced sten, 100 rounds tommy is more smg than I need)

I would expand Allies by focusing more on commonwealth, France etc etc. Lots of the weapon variety in germany is other countries.

2 Likes

Well, I believe DF should make something to make Thompsons more satisfying to use.
It’s the most iconic weapon of US, but it is so incredibly mediocre and blunt in game.
There’s no fun aspect to it.

I believe this alone would make western allies way more appealing to lot of players.

2 Likes

I have a feeling that its could be something as simple as the velocity. makes it feel a bit trashy.

most smgs have a bullet velocity around 400 (just comparison, not sure what unit of measurement they are using). Thompson are a bit meh at 265. really doesnt feel right and I dont like using it mostly because of this.

*EDIT, now I mention it, i think this is too low anyway…thimpson should be up at 285-290 I think at a quick search (not much of an improvement though)

1 Like

Apparently not all levels are ass kicking levels for the allies as I just played a level 5 with the Germans and the allies kicked our asses. In conquering the 5 objectives they were only down to 925 at the end of the game, so, another non competitive match. Being an X airman in the USAF, I prefer to be the allies and did not even have another country until a couple months ago. This is the only time I have ever spent money on the game as I was impatient, so probably two or three hundred bucks into it I have maxed German squads in level 1-3, 3-5 and level 5. I built with money what it took me over a year to do with the allies. :joy: When the original game came out, I played a lot with the Germans, and got to disband all my German and US old squads in exchange for silver so it helped a lot in building my current allies squads. And about the Thompson, it’s my favorite. I own a Thompson (not an original WW2 vintage) but an M1 made by Auto Ordinance. The only difference is the barrel is longer due to ATF regulations and it is semi auto. Sweet gun, but heavy, especially with my torn up shoulders. I had to leave it with my oldest son in Iowa since I moved to the Philippines a year ago and they don’t allow foreigners to own firearms. BTW, I prefer to play level 1-3

1 Like

Not true - 75mm solid shot M72 was the combat round initially used by Lee/Grant and Shermans in Africa

True it has less penetration, but that’s because it was badly designed and made, not because it was a training round.

The Brits famously put captured German APHE rounds, took the explosive out (so making them AP instead of APHE!), and put them on US 75mm cases to get better performance than the M72!

See George Burling Jarett and the 75mm ammunition challenge – The Crusader Project

1 Like

that response was based off of Comet92220’s response. I’m not very knowledgeable about the development history of tank shells

1 Like

Yes you are right, I forgot to mention it. That does not change the fact that Sherman in this game were introduced with the Normandy Campaign, where they should have been using the M61.

The Brits also did that with the M61 directly, hence why in War thunder their M61 don’t have HE filer.

But still that does not change the fact that 75mm gun on sherman should get their better ammo.

1 Like

Is it still open bolt? Because semi auto open bolt sounds kinda terrible - to be fair though if its just for the feels I am still pretty jealous ngl.

Why pick on that for suddenly wanting some historical accuracy??

It’s not like there’s any anywhere else…

COULD get better ammo - there is no rhyme or reason in Enlisted why anything SHOULD get anything at all.