Why does the pre-war Kar98k have a faster firing rate?

best mills sure. but not the ores being worked on and turned into said steel…

2 Likes

But does using bad materials necessarily mean that the mills will start not having precision and quality when making the bolt, receiver, and barrel?

I suppose it depends on demands and quality standards… if your boss the painter keep saying “MOAAAAR RIFLES, FASTER!!!” then maybe the guys at the factory will start being more lax with quality in favour of production speed.

But really it’s just a logical explanation as to why those two versions would be different in game. I’m no historian :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Red Orchestra 2 had the exact same analogy. at lvl 1, your rifleman started with a “war battered kar”. at lvl 80 you had… a pre war kar!!! with better handling stats and cycle speed. less wear and tear. I merely thought it must be similar here.

It’s dating back from Moscow campaign. there was a LOT of bolt action gamaplay back then (bit like nowadays br1) so there was many different bolty rifles.

3 Likes

It would be boring then. They would be the same gun with different texture and there would be no point in having 3 kars

You guys are missing a vital part here - both Kar98 have actually the same sights, the pre war version has its sights zeroed correctly - while the standard Kar98 has its gun set to something like 400 meters distance.

One gun is for people who dont like the real sights of a Kar98, the other is for historical accurate players.

I see many ppl say Kar98 was hand craftrled and not optimised for mass production. Tbh I don’t know if it’s the case. Kar98 was a shortened version of Gewehr98 that was produced something 10 milion pieces. So I’d expect it to be quite well suited for mass production from the start. Correct me if I’m wrong.

2 Likes

The sight are not the same, the pre war version doesn’t have the ring like stuff on its sight.

Yes, but thats just the front post cover, I am talking about the rear sights - that what actually makes you see less

Your previous word is based on assumption that people like the kar98k because of the rear sight, you can’t assume that. I like it because it got the front post cover on it.

I assume what ever I want - and I prefer the regular Kar98k sights over the pre war version specifically because the rear sights are too big and take away my vision.

I now “dare” to assume I am not the only one feeling this way.
And again, the regular K98k sights in this game are zeroed completely wrong, in reality you wouldn’t be able to hit anything like that.

1 Like

Still can’t change the fact that their sight are indeed different because of the front post cover.

Lol I don’t care about it. I already said I like it because of the front post cover. The sight look bad on Kar98k if it doesn’t have it.

maybe it because veteran are more familiar with old kar then new kar? (altho imo it the same gun anyway so idk)

In the beginning of the war it was nothing wrong at all with the quality of the steel, quite the contrary.

Germany’s domestic iron ore was however of very poor quality.
GER needed to mix it with high-grade material from other countries, especially Sweden. Sweden was the main contributor of iron ore to the Nazis. Before the Allied blockade in 1943 Sweden stood for 43 % and France for 13 % of all iron ore.

Swedish Iron were of prime quality. It was historically known for making superior iron and steel, a quality derived from its ultra-low phosphorus content.

It was first when the Allies managed to pressure Sweden to not export like before the overall quality of Nazi Germany’s steel became very poor.
Bad quality ore means that while you can create steel out of it, you either have more impurity or have to do more work to get it to a decent quality. They still needed to produce in large quantities and did produce as much as they could (still not enough) but also with way worse quality.

The Nazi war machine started to fall apart massively. thankfully.

The Allies noted that without the Swedish iron ore, the German war effort would grind to a halt because not only was the ore being sent in large quantities but it was also of very high quality, making German steel manufacture extremely efficient. Swedish iron-ore industry during World War II

But not only the quality of German weaponry decrease as the war went cuz of lack of fine iron ore.
Even the dependence on slave labor played a huge role in this. The number of slaves in the industries during the late stages of the war was huge. And a lot of men played a key part in slowing down and sabotaging.

2 Likes

yes, exactly that, waaay better explained than I did :sweat_smile:

1 Like

actually cleaned and oiled the bolt. :stuck_out_tongue:

its a bit dumb. Fire rate for a bolt action should be more on the user (soldier) than the weapon.

1 Like

lol.

Have read a lot of interesting papers how they completely changed the the alloy composition of their armor, making it, as we all know, very poor in the later stages of the war.

One must assume that also the small arms would’ve been of worse quality in the later stages of the war.

Btw can really recommend this:

The history of the German war machine is fascinating, ngl. As the war progressed and the knowledge , technology and research evolved (for everyone) the Germans still wanted to produce their highly advanced shit despite having a extremely poor foundation to do so. They would’ve have lost anyway, but they certainly made it quicker.

3 Likes

For those interested, here is how one of the methods of steel purification looks like (Bessemer process).

I know it’s heavily off topic but I think it’s also very very cool.

2 Likes

I’ll allow it. What steel purification method did the Germans use in WW2?

1 Like

There are many processes but overall they are similar. Add lime and oxygen and wait for impurities to burn out or form slag.
It all depends on what type of steel you want to achieve, some steel mills may have outdated methods blah blah blah…

1 Like