What are the best perks for gunners in a plane?

Hi! So I got the Ju 188 and all its gunners and I wondered what perks I should get them.

My biggest problem is choosing between +30% angle of focused and peripheral vision and +50% enemy detection range for the AI gunners because I don’t quiet understand what they do.

I also wonder if perks like -100% effect of head-swinging during sharp maneuvers, +15% endured positive overloads, +30% endured negative overloads, -20% power of control loss after the blackout or +20% flight stamin affect the AI gunners like will they recover, spot the enemy and start firing faster if they have these perks?

3 Likes

Good question, always wondered same thing.
But this is what i am running on JU crew, i am hopeful someone/Pilot, will lets us know, i am no pilot lol
My Pilot
gunners

2 Likes

The only perks I can recommend are softer landing from parachuting and health regen out of combat, possibly blackout related perks to, as gunners don’t really seem to do much with the others?

2 Likes

I was thinking of changing the ones with 16 green points to running speed, as they spend more time on ground than in the air. hehe

Yes the parachute landing one is good, but you don’t really need it, most the time when i bail, is enough height to deploy chute.

1 Like

Hi ! I will explain:

This perk increases the maximum detection range at which the target lead indicator appears and the maximum range at which the triangle above planes appear. The base value soldiers have for this is 1000m and 1500m respectively.
It’s the Keen Vision perk from WT.

Unlike the other perk, which lets you detect enemies in front of you, this lets you detect enemies around you in a sphere around the plane. Unsurprisingly, the base distance for this is half the above values.
So this perk increases the maximum angles that you can see enemies from, the base values of these angles are 15 degrees for the focused angle, and the peripheral angle is 60 degrees.
It’s the Awareness perk from WT.

6 Likes

So awareness is better than visibility, based on this I think.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the explanation. It is very helpful and gives me the impression that the angle one is better even though some of my gunners already have that perk and are not firing much despite being closer than 1000m to the enemy plane.

Since you just got the JU-188, and have already had your question answered for OP, I recommend checking out this post I made a few weeks ago, called JU-188 tips for new players. You might find the information useful, in regards to learning how to position your aircraft in a way that your A.I. gunners will engage enemy aircraft.

1 Like

Thank you for the info, I think you put a lot of effort in this.
I don’t know how old are the videos but my AI gunners don’t shoot like that. I knew about the corsair tip but even when I get the forward 20mm to shoot it fires like 25m off. All other gunners never fire no matter where the enemy plane is around me. I confirmed this while watching replays, their ammo never depletes.

1 Like

It’s a known bug.

1 Like

I think it might be best, to give them perks for ground combat. Bomber crews can be pretty passable paratroopers, too. Bomb the opposition out of the objective and then take it yourself!

4 Likes

You’re welcome. The videos are about a month old, so there may/may not have been changes made to the Ju-188’s performance/gunner activity. I haven’t played much since the UI was updated, so I can’t say if the gunners are acting different or nor.

From my experience, it just takes some practice and experimenting. The A.I. gunners have always been inconsistent with their accuracy. Sometimes they can’t hit the broadside of a barn, and other times they can take out an enemy plane in just a couple bursts.

The best thing you can do, to figure out the correct angles and positioning, is to continue practicin chasing enemy planes with the JU-188.
For best success, keep this part in mind :point_down:. (when pursuing, try to avoid flying at a higher altitude than the enemy aircraft.)

4 Likes