Swiss Prototype: N33

Swiss Prototype: N33 (Video)

December 24, 2015 Ian McCollum Prototype, Semiauto Rifles 19

The N33 is one of a series of Swiss prototype semiautomatic rifles developed between WWI and WWII (the “33” refers to 1933). This particular design is interesting because it fires from an open bolt, a feature generally seen on light machine guns. An open bolt rifle typically is more difficult to shoot accurately because of the time between trigger pull and firing as the bolt travels forward to load a cartridge before firing it.

The N33 was made in several calibers, but never went into any sort of significant production.

3 Likes

Man I wish more European countries would do domestic firearms design again. Sweden almost had a domestic firearm for their Ak 4, but development was taking too long and they couldn’t fix the feeding and extraction issue over a couple iterations so they went with the H&K G3 rifle instead. They also almost had a domestic licensed version of the IMI Galil for their Ak 5, which was heavily based on the Valmet RK62…which was ultimately based on the AK-47
Lot of homework copying. Lol. Although apparently what has become the new Ak 24 is a new rifle that Sweden and Finland worked on together! Exciting stuff! Can’t wait to see how that turns out. Looks like a very short barrel so not sure how well it’ll perform ballistically, you know 5.56 and 11” barrel, not my goto length. Lol. But hey if it works it works!

Anyways, all this to say that I wish European countries would innovate and do domestic firearms design instead of just buying FN and H&K firearms! Bring back weird and wacky prototypes and variety in the gun sphere! Plus I wanna own more cool firearms one day and the more options the better. Who knows, one of them might even make a gun to dethrone the AR-15. I mean I doubt it, but it could happen. Any other cool prototypes from the lesser nations DF could add to the game?

2 Likes