Silly using MG's to kill tanks

That fireball is a, or was, a Stuart, that I F’ed up with a few short bursts from the front, the first of which took out it’s main gun.

I know the game doesn’t really do Historical effects, and killing a Sturt from the front with a MG is defiantly not that …

But the Question is do we really need the MG’s to be able to kill tank’s like some belt fed ATR?

There is a ton of kit in game now to kill tanks with why add something so completely unrealistic, not that are not other crazy things in game like the TNT bundles, but again why stack the crazy up?

1 Like

The sloped front armor is 15.8mm, with an effective thickness of 37mm due to the slope. Average armor penetrating ability of 12.7mm is about 35mm. The Japanese licensed Hotchkiss M1930 (Type 93) is firing 13.2mm.

2 Likes

don’t know man, Stuart still kinda is a light tank isn’t it? if that MG could penetrate Panzer III and a Sherman I would call bs, but something like a Puma should definitely be destroyed by that.

A ww2 era 50 all had the following values, off hand idk what the 13.2 mm values were, but there is no way a 50 cal should be penning the front of the Stuart nore should it be killing the gun.

I assume the game has a pen curve for its rounds, but I honestly don’t know.

Ok, so for 0 Degrease:

10 m is 30 mm

100 m is 28 mm

500 m is 20 mm

1000 m is 12 mm

1500 m is 9 mm

2000 m is 6 mm

Frontal armor of the Puma was actually to thick for the 50 cal to pen.

I mean, it can probably pen a Panzer III B, but point taken.

No, it’s the slope of the puma’s front armour that makes it bounce .50 cals. It’s actual thickness is about that of the M2A4 and if at the same angle as the M2A4’s armour, it would preform just as poorly. Besides, there being more ways to kill tanks as infantry is always a good thing, especially with open maps like in Pacific.

well 30mm frontal sounds about just enough to stop those rounds, especially at longer ranges.

M2A4 has 25mm of armour at it’s thickest places which the .50 cal and the Hotchkiss should both be able to pen at a reasonable diatance.

1 Like

Ya it’s 30 mm from what I can see and that would mean that the 50 cal would not be able to pen even at point blank range even if were flat, but as you say it’s sloped.

Not really, the margin is to tight, kind of comes down to whether or not the game models angle of impact and it’s effect on penetration, even if the gun was at a slight angle to the plate, it should not pen.

But again this all comes down to whether or not they want MG’s to kill tanks, to me it ridiculous, they even take out MA guns with a short burst atm the MG’s.

Depends on the round, and that looks like an M2A4, which means there should be more than enough to penetrate it. Furthermore, 30mm is the thickest part of the M3 Stuart’s front armor so even if it was that, there are parts where it is thinner such as the hull cheeks, where the armor is about as 25mm thick. Considering the ammo is almost in line with that, the Hotchkiss should easily be able to onetap that.

Again, anything that helps infantry kill tanks is welcome, especially in the Pacific the maps are as open as they are. HMGs like the one on top of the Shermans have always been able to kill tanks, the only thing that has changed is now infantry has access to them.

were on opposite sides of this, imo it is way to easy to kill tanks now for infantry, so adding to that is the opposite direction I would think the game should go in.

It doesn’t matter, it’s fun.