Rifleman Buff

I liked it when I started the game, and I used it for a long while. Then I learned that I didn’t actually hate the SMG’s in this game and started running Assaulter Squad with my MG Squad
Now you have my current set up of Assaulter, MG, and AT

Buff to the class, I don’t think so, but it would be nice if a exclusive building was added to the rifle squad

2 Likes

Or a capture speed with riffleman 3 like 1%

Oohhh but what would that be…mmm. Something to think about during work I suppose

Maybe like a small howitzer or something? I mean we already got AT Guns, AA’s, HMG’s, and MMG’s covered. All that’s left are artillery pieces. Field Guns, Howitzers, etc

1 Like

I would disagree. I see them frequently, and in the case of Japanese for example, there are a fair number of people (myself included) using multiple squads of them.

For a couple of reasons.

• I use them to carry large quantities of mines. On Japan for example, I have 4 riflemen squads equipped (yes I purchased squad slots, no I don’t apologize to F2P players)
    I have 2 squads set up with AP mines and 2 squads set up with AT mines. Why?
    Because especially on Japanese, the mines are needed in order to even have a chance of victory.
    On top of that, I can set the mines then send my guys forward to the objective while I work on setting things up with an engineer. They provide enough presence to help buy time while i fortify.

• “Zombie Squads”
    If you set up riflemen squads with medkit use speed, health restored by medkit, and more likely to be knocked rather than killed, plus a large backpack with medkits, that squad will be FAR more effective than people think.
    They can clean up a route that was mined, keep an MG position busy, swarm opponents, etc.
    If they have bolt actions they are also pretty effective at cleaning up enemies as well.

I see a fair number of players (on console) using these same type of tactics. They make riflemen fairly effective.

Of this I agree.

Overall, if the game gets slowed down a bit and pushed more toward strategic play rather than just run-and-gun, you will likely see a wider diversification of squads. However, until then, I’m afraid its just going to be the meta 5:

• assaulters
  • MGs
  • Flamethrowers
  • radio operators
  • paratroopers
1 Like

I am always for slowing the game down. I think all cap times should be increased and all tickets increased as well. Make the matches last longer

2 Likes

I would think something that would promote their front-line position.

My best suggestion would be perhaps a log bunker.

• Durable, with a roof on top to protect from ordinance.

• Have narrow gun slots on the sides that height wise match up with a standard MG nest, or a player bracing their weapon in it. Promoting synergies would greatly help the game.

• Can be placed in a player dug trench, perhaps have some degree of auto- leveling mechanic added with it so it can be built on a surface that isn’t 100% flat without being tilted.

Something like this would be EXTREMELY useful for both offense and defense.

IN TERMS OF DESTRUCTION:

• Grenades should NOT break it.
  • TNT charge placed on the roof or inside can break it.
  • LARGE caliber HE shells need to hit inside it to break it.
  • Artillery and aircraft must direct hit in order to break it.
    • Can be repaired from its damaged state, which may appear as the roof had been blown off. The sides may appear a bit broken as well, but the structure doesn’t entirely disappear.
    • Once in a damaged state, it can be deconstructed or destroyed by running over it/ through it with a tank.

IN TERMS OF POINTS:
It functions much like sandbags would, giving a small amount of points for blocked bullets, but perhaps a larger amount of points for protection from explosions.

NOTE: It should not be able to be deconstructed by AI. Otherwise players trying to order their AI to go there would likely break it down, much like the other issues we face with friendly AI breaking down fortifications rather than “using” them.

What do you say @Bigote0070 , does this sound like the kind of unique structure that would work well for the rifleman squad? Going the route of defensive structure rather than some kind of direct weapon emplacement.

1 Like

As long as defenders are allowed a chance to set up a genuine defense and not have to essentially play offense while on defense, as well as unique ways for attackers to break through fortifications (such as satchel charges or bangalore torpedos), I’m all for more tickets to attackers.

1 Like

Imo they should build the MG nest, because almost no one use it, if we want talk about exclusive bulding the one squad with who for sure should have it is the mortar squad, bulding a fixed heavy mortar

1 Like

So move the MMG nest from Engie II to Rifleman? Yeah that’d work. Think I’d personally prefer a small artillery piece, but it’d work. As for the fixed mortar, please

I think riflemen are at a good spot right now. Especially later BR, when you get FG42, and automatic weapons.

Riflemen are also good at low BR, with them being the most common soldier, so you often don’t have to spend silver on riflemen.

I see riflemen a lot in BR V matches, especially German FG42 users.

On lower BRs, players are deterred from them because the starting bolters let you fire 1 bullet every 2-3 hours so you better have the precision of a heart surgeon If you’d prefer not to get sprayed down by an automatic weapon.

Stat points could be a viable buff for them, but the perk system is fairly unappealing IMO. The same new player that struggles with scopeless sniper rifles will not realize that an unspecified “greater chance to get in downed state after taking fatal damage” just saved their life.

Your suggestion may end up promoting riflemen on high BR where the TTK can actually be extended, but not on low BRs where a shot to the little toe is lethal. And I think lower BRs have bigger need for competition for SMGs.

1 Like

Oddly enough with 1 shot fatalities everywhere, that 9 man squad becomes invaluable from sheer number of fleshbags to throw at the enemy. I really do think Riflemen are slept on in early BR’s

I’m going to try this.

Not gonna lie it has my interest too. Especially with the recent AI buff

I hope it can be used to destroy tanks or fire special ammunition
Large-area white phosphorus bombs or smoke bombs?
This would make the mortar squad more useful

1 Like

I’d like some WP tank rounds

Let me know how it works out for you guys.

This is one of the reasons that I get so frustrated with people asking for so many buffs and such for infantry. The options for higher survival options are there, players just have to sacrifice some of their other stuff for it.

So I tried this out today on a Rifle Squad. Six riflemen, an engineer, one AT and a machine gunner. I couldn’t quite bring myself to swap the 35% vitality or the reduced recoil but all the rifles got improved medpack use and some ‘reduced knockdown’ and the large backpack with four med kits.

All my games were BR2 in Stalingrad with its weird open spaces.

On offence I hung back with the MG and sent everyone else forward to cap. A couple of times it was a wipeout but usually I got three or four of guys into the objective. I need to practice switching from the MG to the Zombies at the right time but they are definitely more resilient and a few times I saw them fall and quickly heal and carry on.

On defence I noticed the weight of numbers. It’s quite a subtle thing but it felt like we didn’t get overrun so quickly. I also equipped with AP mines and tried to cycle through the squad to get them all placed. Again, I need more practice with this because I got disoriented by switching so quickly and ended up dropping them instead of actually placing them. Nine AP mines are quite a lot!

Summary

Definitely worth trying. It’s subtle, but on offence it could be the difference between getting one man on the objective or all dying outside. On defence it works just because of the numbers.

I’m tempted to build another two squads like this and try cycling them in defence with the squad in the cap and the MG outside mowing down the attackers.