Recon Planes

Recon Planes would be a Radio Operator call-in, adding more versatility to the Radio class besides artillery. It would not have a big announcement like Bombing Runs, because it’s not that much recon if it tells the enemy it’s coming. That means enemy AA guns and planes would have to watch the skies if they want to take it down

The Recon Plane could help spot tanks, AT, AA, rally points, Engineer constructs, and even enemy infantry. I just want to make it clear that I do NOT mean they can spot or highlight enemy soldiers like in other games like Battlefield like some sort of UAV. I like this game’s semi hardcore gameplay and think it should stay that way.

When the Recon Plane spots infantry it merely places a “spot” on the exact point it saw the soldiers like a snapshot. This helps give your team a little inference of enemy movements and locations, such as spotting the location of that mortar or sniper. Recon would be great for spotting hidden threats like gray zone tanks or some AT or HMG stalking the battlefield, or giving your mortars a good point to aim

US: L-4 Grasshopper

Soviet Union: Polikarpov Po-2

Germany: Fi 156 Storch

Japan: Ki-46

8 Likes

I like this. This would be a long way off, and require some serious programming, but I think the degree of the recon plane’s effectiveness could be made part of the squad’s level progression. For starters, it would only provide simple marks, like players can anywhere. Next, it could identify vehicles and structures*. Lastly, it could provide target information (i.e., what type of tank).

Though now that I’ve said it, I see how this could get overpowering/annoying if it was made adept at spotting, e.g., rally points.

1 Like

You dont need recon for average 150x150 meter maps

2 Likes

It would be good to reveal well hidden rally points

4 Likes

Spotting only last 5 seconds and is garbage

I think Recon Planes would work fine and well in this game’s current size giving us a heads up on enemy positions or constructs

……….but it would be cool if we had truly giant maps like HLL

1 Like