Pre-order: Armored Personnel Carriers!

I would rather say that casual F2P players should be also able to unlock an armored halftrack rather than just a truck with wood or cloth cabin. The main difference is the survivability of the soldiers inside while the vehicle is on the go. When I see a truck with soldiers, in many cases I am able to eliminate the whole squad inside before it stops, but the vehicle itself survives - the cabin is above the level of the engine and the important structures anyway. I am not tempted to unlock a totally unarmored truck, it would only drag attention and concentrate my soldiers in a tight uncovered group thatā€™s lifted a meter above the ground, so that it is super easy to shoot at them.
I mean, I believe the trucks were used mostly to deliver troops to the frontlines, and not to ride around with them directly on a battlefield - only armored personnel carriers are a reasonable vehicle to roll onto a battlefield (in Enlisted - anywhere out of the grey zone, and even the grey zone is not very safe).

Iā€™ve mostly been playing Tier 3 despite having just about everything unlocked for every faction. Thereā€™s pretty valid reasons to make BR 2, 3, and 5 lineups for each faction you play and it mostly comes down to increasing variety and bolt actions are fun.

For both vehicles soldiers will be sitting with their upper bodies exposed to the enemy fire and hmg nest will destroy both of them with no issue. Biggest problem is engine survivability that is non existent for the trucks and i will be hunting both with my Puma or BT-7A

Thank you Devs, love to have more vehicles in game !

Questions of utility:

1. IF I am in the driver position and Iā€™m maneouvering the vehicle, will there be a soldier who automatically manā€™s the MG ? You have developed this AI rule for soldiers occupying MMGs and other emplacement weapons, so does this apply to the APC weapon as well ?

2. IF the answer to the above is yes, will they autonomously fire the MG, as per the current MG soldier who does shoot (sometimes) at random things, but more insistently if I mark a target ?

3. Will there be states of cover for the passengers ? ie If I want to avoid casualties I can tell the passengers to sit and keep their head down (other than the MG gunner) OR can I ask them to remain vigilant in all round defence across the vehicle and shoot anyone that comes near the vehicle, noting that in the second instance my troops are equally vulnerable to well aimed fire to their partially exposed silhouettes ?

ok

No offense but you did come across as insulting to me. Like i said, everyone else was supplying evidence that i was wrong in a neutral way. No idea what you were smoking but i think you had enough of it.

States of cover? Manned weapons? Are you high? Have you seen how the AI works?

You can be crawling in the brush to hide from a tank but your squad members will give you away because they donā€™t actually play like you do, i have even been shot and killed at close range by a guy who was in the open, my ENTIRE squad didnā€™t even react to him for a few seconds which he used to wipe my entire squad.

The squads are more of a hinderance for me, they donā€™t even move to cover when you are trying to survive and when it comes to tanks, the crew is inactive while you are out of the tank repairing.

Players will wait around the tank because they know you are basically defenseless when repairing, i would personally love it the gunner can rotate the turret and watch for enemy players will you repair which is more realistic that just sitting there.

One other thing i think would be nice is 2 new markers, one for bombing runs and one for cannon/machinegun strafing. Pilots almost never use MGs or cannons on infantry due to how hard it is to spot them as they are like ants.

Bombing is good and all but a well-timed strafing run can also be useful.

Of course there is also the problem of Hit-Registration where as some shots donā€™t hit the target. (Been a sniper for long enough to know exactly what it looks like and how it feels to have the scope sighted on someoneā€™s head, fire and nothing happens.)

Seeming the 50cal HMG on American tanks and APC is strong enough to destroy a PUMA but you basically have to laser the ammo rack and considering that the commander has to expose himself to fire the 50cal, its not a very useful strategy. A sniper can oneshot the commander and put the tank out of action for a few seconds, more than enough to blow the tank up.

1 Like

you can destroy half tracks with mortars too i just remembered

Havenā€™t even though about that - could potentially break the game

Theyā€™ve added BR icon here, thatā€™s quite nice. I do appreciate it.

6 Likes

Well thatā€™s neat

1 Like

no.

AIs do not use the APC machineguns despite being able to use mapā€™s ā€œlocalā€ machineguns on foot.

they donā€™t

as far the test server was,

that wasnā€™t possible either.

they just stick their heads ready to be popped.

letā€™s hope for those features to be introduced in the future

Thanks for the perspective from your end as well.

Iā€™ve been playing my HTs all day today, finally got some flex time at work so close to Christmas.

Yeah its an upolished diamond, but Iā€™m really enjoying the German Sdkfz 250/1 - I just wish more ppl were used to the HTs and used them as spawns. The ability to get nice and close to objectives makes them very very powerful. The MG is nice to suppress the unwary and good enough to keep the opponents head down.

I think the MG lacks a bit of elevation, you could get the character model to squat a bit. The other thing Iā€™d like to see is the ability to duck down for the reload, or just to get your head down when you start getting targeted by snipers whom you just canā€™t spot.

I hope they add some more features to the vehicle.

N.B. The gunner does autonomously fire in the frontal arc though in a similar vein to the tail gunner. I just think that its very limited as the MG has a 30 degree cone of fire and the vehicle has to be relatively level, otherwise the AI canā€™t work out which plane of reference its in and doesnā€™t do anything.

Iā€™ve used this a couple of times today as I jockeyed the skdfz in arty dodging exercises. Unfortunately vehicle pathing still leaves much to be desired on most maps, but at least that is a WIP.

Overall though thumbs up for the Half Tracks ! :+1:

1 Like

noticed this one too.

in the test server though, he wasā€¦ standing still :confused:

but yeah as for the rest, the Halftracks are truly a great addition to the game imo.

From what i can gather from my time using the sd.kfz 251. The halftracks are a fun tool to use. But once deployed useless untill your apc blows up. Meaning you canā€™t spawn with it again. Unless you want to blow up your apc. The mg can be fun to use, but the elevation on the 251 is a nightmare. So good luck with that.

Overall, premium squads are funny. But not worth to buy. They would be better if you could deploy on foot, just like paratroopers. And if the correct squad can reposition the apc.

1 Like

Normandy has currently 4 unified maps: steel mill, omer/la perelle/airfield/gare saint lo, ver-sur-mer/mansion/vaux, d-day, le bre.

moscow is divided into autumn and winter maps

berlin has 3 maps: seelow maps, ministry garden/reich kanzlei, wilhelmstrasse, kƶnigsplats/kroll/lehter bahnhof

sgrad has the tractor plant and the city

pacific has 3 maps: gavutu, guadalcanal, new georgia

tunisia has only one big map