Numerous ideas derived from clip of "Saving Private Ryan"

First off, the film “Saving Private Ryan” was praised for having many historical accuracies. If you haven’t seen it, I recommend you check it out.

Saving Private Ryan - 20mm! - YouTube

Suggestions from breakdown of the clip:

1. More usage of trenches in close quarters, even in urban conflict.
  • While there are “full trenches” in some areas, the variance in depth of terrain is lacking in many locations. As you see at the 0:25 mark, they crawl up from a lower area, below the angle of the tank.
    - Add more variance in depth, OR allow more area that the shovel can be used in.
  1. Dust clouds from large explosions
  • At the 0:50 mark you see a tank blasting a building with HE, the dust cloud that follows is MASSIVE. Smoke shells and grenades within the game are used quite rarely for cover currently, but dust clouds are completely non-existent from what I have seen.
    - Add in dust clouds especially after large explosions that act similar to smoke screens (AI cannot target through them).
  1. Killing tank drivers when applicable
  • At 1:01, we see a soldier jump up on the front of a tank with a Tommy and fire through the viewport to kill the driver. While not all tanks have an exposed viewports like this, some could be vulnerable to this.
  • Against applicable tanks, be able to shoot through the viewport AT CLOSE RANGE (for balancing purposes).
  1. Using grenades in the hatches of tanks.
  • At 1:19 soldiers climb onto the top of a tank, and upon one of the tank crew opening the hatch, they proceed to grenade the rest of the crew.
  • Once a tank crew member exits the vehicle, the hatch would become “unlocked” for a short period of time. During this time, a player with a lethal grenade in his inventory should get a prompt when near the hatch to do this. An animation specifically for it would be nice. It would give more ability to kill tanks without just simply throwing an explosive pack on them.
  1. Autocannons
  • At 1:30, a 20mm autocannon is rolled out. It’s not stationary, its not restricted to only shooting at aircraft.
    - Instead of the current “AA guns” that we have currently, we should get a mobile version similar to this. So that it can be moved and adjusted, and be able to shoot at infantry and other ground targets.
  1. Angling down with (H)MG nests
  • Though its only seen for a few frames at 1:43, there is an MG nest set up high in a building. A good vantage point for a powerful weapon like that.
  • Currently, the ONLY MG nest that can angle down is the Americans standard MG nest, and even it is fairly limited.
  • Allow (H)MG nests to angle downward a fair bit in order to attack targets at lower elevation.

Its a short clip, but has a lot of potential things that could be implemented into the game to make it much more interesting. The whole movie itself has a lot that should be noted by the devs as it is one of the most viewed war movies of all time.

11 Likes

Only if those tankers get to use the same gun and viewports to shot their smg at ppl around the tank… otherewise pls no.
Tanks already stuggle due to repeated nerfs and bugs. This would only force tanks even harder to greyzone. And most viewports could be closed of if needed.

6 Likes

Could be intresting if done right but first they should make open top like M10 tank into grenade catchers.
Those have a big funnel but somehow nades bounce right off the air instead.

I do think they should be allowed to shoot out as well. Furthermore, I think that AI within tanks should be able to use the lower MGs (on the tanks that have them).

Pretty much any tank that has a “Machinegunner” slot should be capable of using that MG on their own. After all, it still would require the player to angle the tank correctly to where they can see and engage targets.

2 Likes

I disagree. I use the Hellcat tank on Normandy all the time, it has an open top. If I don’t keep moving, grenades inevitably get tossed in, especially molotovs. It really just depends what angle the grenade is coming from.

Can it bounce out? Yes. Is it guaranteed to bounce out? Most certainly not.

Having AI control the hull MG would be so nice but if sucks on japanese tanks as you currently can only use the MG or the main gun which is stupid unless you use commander view for unpresise fire.

2 Likes

Whenever I tried to nade one in the training range it never worked for me but then again normandy wasnt my main so it could just have been me.

Believe me, I’ve had my fair share of discussions about the Japanese Tanks, and at this point they are just a joke. Honestly the entire Pacific Campaign is a joke in regards to balance.

My point though is that OVERALL, tanks need a bit of an overhaul, and adding mechanics like I described would help toward creating that balance (especially if the explosive packs were completely changed.)

Like I said, depending on the angle. Also it depends on how much force was left in the throw.

If you’ve ever noticed, if you throw a grenade at something point blank, it bounces off like crazy. However, if its thrown and lands at a distance, it usually bounces less.

If you were trying to throw the grenade in from point blank and above, that’s probably why it was bouncing out. However, if you throw it from afar, at an angle more from the side, its much more likely to stay in.

Tanks balance is kind of in an odd place. They can shread infantry if everything works like intented or die horribly because their HE bounces / gets eaten by surfaces while the MG is overheating.
So I wouldnt be opposed if they would get some love.

1 Like

3 and 4 are complete fantasy as far as I know.

The rest, why not.

4 Likes

Hatches can be easily lock from inside.

1 Like

were they trenches, I thought they were just bunch of craters, we already have those forming on the battlefield in Enlisted, that is one good thing in this game

i always felt that prior to the AA nerfs that we were just roleplaying that the AA was that type of 20mm cannon, at least in my mind that is how I reasoned it, doubled as AA and representing an anti infantry cannon…funny now it just doesn’t get used barely at all for anything anymore, like everything else that gets nerfed into the ground

but since the nerfs destroyed that, it only makes sense to add something like that into the game

but I don’t think I care anymore, it’s too late for this sort of thing considering they are just happy to ruin the entire ww2 atmosphere anyway by splitting stuff the way they are doing it with this dumb BR tier crap

Love this movie! Agree so that tanks should be allowed use their hull MGs against infantry. But some tanks also have outside MGs which can be used by infantry. We saw that in Fury Anti-Tank Gun Fight | Fury | CineClips | With Captions - YouTube so hope that could be implemented.
As for lobbing grenades or shooting through viewports - I don’t think that’s a good idea, tanks are vulnerable against infantry in close quarters already -satchels, sausages, molotovs, AT mines deployed right in front\behind a tank, you name it. By the way, allowing infantry to use top machineguns will help keeping some troops around - with machinegun controlled by player and hes AI squad nearby. However I think that sniping in game is overpowered and sniper or just a soldier with boltie can make really quick work of every stationary soldier’s head - or tank commanders for that matter

1 Like

Good luck firing through this at any range with your recoil

Also there is thick glass plate there for small arms protection, also it would be closed shut and the driver would use the periscopes in combat.

6 Likes

What the Americans need in the Pacific is the M4 Sherman, and give Japanese The Type 3 Chi-Nu.

I completely agree with you, brother.

1 Like

saving private ryan = western front version of enemy at the gates. taking ideas from that movie is a bad idea.
even taking ideas from " die deustche wochenschau" is better idea than spr.

As I stated in the post.

The only thing better than a flamethrower…
Is a flamethrower on a tank.

2 Likes