More Shotguns

Germany did not use shotguns in WW2.
Yes, we know that.
But, In low BR, the shotgun is an attractive weapon for engineers.
It is mainly good for fighting very close enemies.
However, only the US has shotguns that can withstand military use.
Germany and the Soviet Union have only classic double-barreled ones.
Japan has no shotguns. Are you saying that a sword is enough…?
Give them more variety and options with their shotguns!

Here are a few candidates

Germans
Becker revolving shotgun
798px-Becker_shotgun
The Becker revolving shotgun is a German revolving shotgun, which utilizes an unusual blow-forward action that feeds ammo via a revolving cylinder. Although designed in 1899, the shotgun would not be produced until the 1920s by the firm Römerwerk. The shotgun operates via blow-forward action, in which the barrel “blows-forward” about an inch every time the weapon is fired, which automatically ejects the spent shell in the process.

The Becker is chambered in 16 gauge and is fitted with a six-shell cylinder, which only holds five shells, with the sixth chamber intentionally plugged up. Because the weapon forces gas back to eject the empty shells, having the cylinder loaded with six shells would cause a live shell to be ejected after the first shot. Because of this design, only the first four shells are automatically ejected and the last shell must be manually unloaded via an ejector rod.

Originally designed for hunting, it is believed that approximately 100 or even less Becker shotguns were manufactured.

Walther automatic shotgun

The Walther automatic shotgun is a rare toggle-action shotgun patented by the Walther brothers and manufactured by Deutsche-Werke in the interwar era.

Sjögren

The Sjögren Inertia is a semi-automatic shotgun invented by Carl Axel Theodor Sjögren in Sweden. Carl Sjögren had three patents for his design in 1900, 1903 and 1905. Shotgun was commercially introduced in 1907, and approximately 5000 were produced in Denmark until the end of production in 1909. It has been shipped commercially to several countries, including Germany, the United Kingdom and Russia. The Sjögren was a unique shotgun for its time, not only being a semi-automatic like the Browning Auto-5, but also because it utilized the inertia system used in many modern shotguns. An experimental rifle model chambered in 7.63mm was also presented, but did not receive any success on the market.

Soviet
Frolov Shotgun
Mosin-Frolov_Shotgun

These bolt-action shotguns, nicknamed “Frolovka” , are conversions of Mosin Nagant rifles into hunting shotguns, designed by engineer Pyotr Nikolaevich Frolov and manufactured in the 1920’s at TOZ. A surplus of Mosin Nagant rifles, most heavily battered during World War I and the Russian Civil War, were converted into 20 - 32 gauge shotguns. Such a measure allowed to quickly cover the lack of cheap hunting shotguns in Soviet Russia.

Winchester Model 1887
800px-PaulNewmanShotgunActual
Another of John Browning’s famous designs, this shotgun was first developed in 1887 by demand of a repeating shotgun for lawmen and cowboys to use.
Since the Soviet Union already has lever-action rifles, this should also exist.

JAPAN
Type murata Shotgun

Some of the Type 13 and 18 Murata rifles used by the Japanese Imperial Army were converted to shotguns by having the bayonet and rifling in the barrel cut down to half the barrel length as part of the military’s profit-making project when they became obsolete, and were then sold to the private sector, where they served longer as hunting rifles than as military guns.

30 Likes

Everyone shall have shotgun

11 Likes

The US Army never used the Winchester lever action rifle in WW2. So that would explain why the USSR had them as lend-lease.

2 Likes

Not lend-lease they were specifically manufactured for Russian empire(According to a contract) before the great War to supplement Russian lack of small arms but due to delays first batch of them were delivered in 1915 also the in game Winchester isn’t same as American used Winchester since it uses 7.62by54mmR round which is a Russian round and also was modified to accept Mosin-Nagant Stripper clips.All in all they were in Russia when war started and used some I dont know to what extend

5 Likes

What’s worse than 45-70 blowing your hand off? DOUBLE AUGHT BUCK!

That…is one weird lookin shotgun. I want one

I am very strongly opposed to giving the Commies any more American equipment

3 Likes

Well, the gun was sold to the public, so it is not surprising that it existed in Russia. :stuck_out_tongue:
Similarly, in the early 20th century, the Japanese imported a number of Western shotguns, such as the Browning Auto5, and used them for hunting, but I have omitted them from this list. But if the Murata is not enough, there is nothing wrong with giving it to the Japanese.
The Japanese did not officially utilize shotguns until probably the Battle of Okinawa. If you give it to them for the sake of game fairness, the Browning Auto 5 was a possible option.

Some more suggestions

By the way, there were many variations of the Murata shotgun, the one in the OP is a modified military rifle, the caliber is very small as it was intended for shooting birds and such.
The original photo says 30GA, and 30GA is almost exclusively Murata ammo.
Some were converted to 12GA, although not pictured, and these conversions were done randomly at private gun stores, so there is no uniformity in appearance.
If Darfklow were to create this, they might have trouble finding material for modeling, but I think it would be acceptable to model it with some originality.

By the way, there are already enough shotguns in the U.S., but there are still more shotguns that can be brought into the game.
This gun is one of them.

Stevens Model 520
800px-StevensTrenchGun
The Stevens Model 520 is an American pump-action shotgun designed by John Browning (note the distinct “hump” in the receiver, not unlike that of the Browning Auto-5.
The shotgun was originally produced by the J Stevens Arms & Tool Company from 1909 to 1916 after Browning sold them the patent. In 1916, J Stevens Arms & Tool Company was purchased by Savage Arms, who manufactured an updated version of the shotgun until 1939. During World War II, the Model 520 was offered as a combat shotgun, under the designation Model 520-30, to the US military. These guns are fitted with a 20-inch barrel, heat shield, and bayonet lug like other US military “Trench Guns”.
pix337312926
The bayonet could be mounted. Wouldn’t you like to skewer a Japanese soldier with this thing?

4 Likes

aZ3KDB6_700b

1 Like

They have enough of our stuff already

In fact the Russians purchased many American firearms. :stuck_out_tongue:
During the Crimean War the Russian Empire imported many Colt revolver rifles, and in WW1 they imported a large number of Winchester M1895s.

Russians_winchester-1 (1)

And since shotguns were used for hunting, it is possible that many american shotgun were imported by civilians during the Russian Empire. They were used by partisans in WW2, and it is not surprising that the Soviet military, which was on the verge of national survival, pulled them out of storage. :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t forget the M1897 Trench Gun.

Is John Moses Browning the greatest gun designer of all time?

3 Likes

I thought that gun was already in the game, but I was wrong.
Yes, we need that gun too.

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8

2 Likes

Trying to look into the Winchester 1887, but I can’t find any information on it being used by the USSR or anyone during ww2. The most I seen was a Italian company called chiappa manufacturing a knock off version of the same shotgun. How did you find that?

The idea of giving the Soviets the 1887 was only added there by me because I could not find a suitable shotgun, and it is not based on any historical references.
So of course nothing should be found. :slightly_smiling_face:
But it was on sale to the public and there were probably Soviet citizens who picked it up.

1 Like

Seems logical, after all not just the Russians brought non war weapons with them to the battlefield. The USA did plenty of that, and Japan when they had lots of civilian imports. Not sure how much it was done with shotguns but there was a big history with rifles from each nation during ww2.

I love the 1897, but let us not forget it’s cousin the Remington model 10
IMG_2148

Or the Ithaca
IMG_2150

2 Likes

As far as I know, the U.S. is the only country where the military officially used shotguns in World War II.
Maybe there were some cases where shotguns were included in aircraft pilots’ self-defense or survival kits, but if you don’t include those, the US (and maybe the UK) is the only country that used shotguns in combat.

images (8)
(The US deployed small shot shells that could be fired from the M1911.)

This suggestion is already out of HA, as it ignores official records and suggests that we let someone other than the US have a better shotgun.
However, there were probably cases outside the US where partisans and other commandeered citizens used shotguns to arm themselves and soldiers brought them as personal effects. :slightly_smiling_face:

Civilian ownership of firearms was illegal in the Soviet Union, smoothbore firearms such as shotguns were the only exception but were under “authorization only” which was very hard to get. Which is why double barrel or single shot shotguns which were much simpler(and harder to use in revolt) were more prevalent.
And even with authorization to have a gun you still didn’t own it.

Isnt that this shotgun revolver the Germans used in CoD Vanguard all the time?

Yep, I know that the Soviet Union was very strict about citizens owning guns. It is ironic that a government born of revolution is so terribly afraid of revolution.
As I mentioned earlier, this proposal itself is based on a fantasy, but it is possible that firearms confiscated from citizens during the Russian Empire/Soviet Union could have been stored and then given to soldiers in the event of war.
In fact, Japan did such a thing at the end of the war, and many civilian shotguns were thrown into the Battle of Okinawa.

2 Likes

Exactly.
On the contrary, Japanese soldiers also used them.