Military rank insignia

Greetings,
with the addition of the rank system, where they’ve added various virtual ranks to the game, I thought about adding something more immersive and realistic. That being real historical military insignia from corporals sergeants and other military ranks on both sides of the conflict. What I’m suggesting then is to give the first soldier in a squad list a rank of squad leader, such as Sergeant or Feldwebel/Unteroffizier.

The other soldiers in the squad would get insignia depending on their level (0 stars soldier being a private, one star a PFC/Oberschütze, corporals/gefreiters, and so on).

Let’s take Wilhelm as an example

This would mean in a graphical sense sleeve insignias as well as neck or shoulder straps representing those ranks in a historical sense directly visible on their uniforms. For Wilhelm, this would lead to the insignia of Stabsgefreiter, but if he were the first person in a squad list, he would get the NCO rank instead

NCO if Wilhelm is a first person in a squad list

Again, this could be per star so that one-star squad leader would be Unteroffizier, two stars, Unterfeldwebel, three Feldwebel and so on).

Examples of rank insignias on combat uniforms:

Example of a squad and their respective ranks based on the system:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Also a quick note, some uniforms already have in-game ranks, such as german pilots being Feldwebels with both their neck and shoulder insignia!

Thank you for your consideration. All feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Toonu

19 Likes

Agreed, would be a good addition. If the soldier is a higher rank maybe they get like a special set of perks depending on what role they are. Unit insignia on helmets as well (Mostly USA & Britain).

2 Likes

i think that the special perks should be something like:

-slightly increased green perk of every type

-slightly increased red perk of every type

-slightly increased yellow perk of every type

it would give players a choice whether they want to have one real strong perk of one type, or many weaker perks of every type

Was already a thing in early game versions, even now can be seen in recruit menu background pic. Nobody knows why it was removed, probably something related to politics. Probably won’t be ever added again, unless as limited option for customization.

2 Likes

possibly the same scenario as with the ss panther tank

Except its mostly just universal rank insignias still used up to this day in modern armies. Knowing gaijjin most likely they want to include it as a “new” customization feature for an upcoming big update that introduces the system.

2 Likes

maybe, id wanna see something like getting promoted mid combat, that would be fun, many other games such as wolfenstein enemy territory and cod 3 included that with a message of the narrator congratulating you.

Because a cat complained of them and dev removed them

1 Like

Not sure what do you mean by that, what cat?

A user called cat with a cat avatar complained about them and dev removed them

1 Like

But what was the complaint about?

To many different insigna break immersion

1 Like

Kek, ty for clarifying. Completely schizo opinion tho, and lack of details for current pajama like uniforms is terrible

1 Like

Why is everyone forgetting to mention the soviets? :slight_smile: Still great suggestion

2 Likes

Yes, I am merely not so knowledgeable about soviet combat and sleeve insignia, hence why I rather not included them (since they only had shoulder insignia I think?) to not anger historical buffs.

1 Like