Japanese Paratroopers

Well most of you guys know that Japan is the only nation without paid paratrooper and no high tier one and so I decided to suggest 3 paratrooper squads with some cool weapons anyhow lets start

Before I start all 3 squads are part of the same Unit so before I go In detail on all 3 squad I should explain the unit itself

Teishin Shudan(The unit)(lit. *Raiding Group*)

Teishin Shudan(The unit)(lit. Raiding Group)

Teishin unit was Japanese Special/airborne unit of IJAA(Imperial Japanese Army Air force)
The unit was formed in late 30s but it didn’t receive much attention until after 1940s blitzkrieg and successful use of paratrooper by Germans

Army paratroops were first deployed in combat during the Battle of Palembang, on Sumatra in the Netherlands East Indies on 14 February 1942. The operation was well-planned, with 425 men of the 1st Parachute Raiding Regiment seizing Palembang airfield, while the paratroopers of the 2nd Parachute Raiding Regiment seized the town and its important oil refinery. However, after the 1st Raiding Regiment departed Japan aboard the transport ship, Meiko Maru bound for Indochina, it suddenly caught fire in the South China Sea sinking near Hainan Island January 3, 1942. All the paratroopers were rescued by the Japanese cruiser Kashii but lost all their equipment and were exhausted and therefore did not partake leaving the operation to the 2nd Parachute Raiding Regiment. The IJA paratroopers were subsequently deployed in the Burma campaign only to have the operation aborted.

The paratroop brigades were organized into the Teishin Shudan as the first division-level raiding unit, at the main Japanese airborne base, Karasehara Airfield, Kyūshū, Japan.

• headquarters company (220 personnel)
  • aviation brigade
  • raiding brigade
  • two glider infantry regiments
  • raiding artillery company (120 personnel)
  • raiding signals company (140 personnel)
  • raiding engineer company (250 personnel)

The unit had an estimated 5,575 personnel.

However, as with similar airborne units created by the Allies and other Axis powers , the Japanese paratroops suffered from a disproportionately high casualty rate, and the loss of men who required such extensive and expensive training limited their operations to only the most critical ones. For the most part, the Teishin Shudan was deployed as elite light infantry.

Two regiments of Teishin Shudan were formed into the 1st Raiding Group, commanded by Major General Rikichi Tsukada under the control of the Southern Expeditionary Army Group, during the Philippines campaign. Although structured as a division, its capabilities were much lower, as its six regiments had manpower equivalent to a standard infantry battalion, and it lacked any form of artillery, and had to rely on other units for logistical support. Its men were no longer parachute-trained, but relied on aircraft for transport.

So with the unit out of way Lets look at the squad it selves(

1st Raiding Brigade

In preparation for the Southern Campaign at the beginning of the Pacific War , the 1st Airborne Brigade was formed as a combat unit, consisting of two airborne regiments and an airborne squadron.

Army paratroops were first deployed in combat during the Battle of Palembang, on Sumatra in the Netherlands East Indies on 14 February 1942. The operation was well-planned, with 425 men of the 1st Parachute Raiding Brigade seizing Palembang airfield, while the paratroopers of the 2nd Parachute Raiding brigade seized the town and its important oil refinery.
However, after the 1st Raiding brigade departed Japan aboard the transport ship, Meiko Maru bound for Indochina, it suddenly caught fire in the South China Sea sinking near Hainan Island January 3, 1942. All the paratroopers were rescued by the Japanese cruiser Kashii but lost all their equipment and were exhausted and therefore did not partake leaving the operation to the 2nd Parachute Raiding brigade
After its formation, the 1st Raiding Group(Teishin Shudan )was immediately sent to the defense of Luzon . However, the 2nd Raiding Brigade, which had been mobilized earlier, had already advanced to the Philippines and was operating under the 4th Air Army (Part of Southern Expeditionary Army)
The 1st Rading Brigade was left behind on the mainland as a reserve airborne force. But their story doesn’t end here some of its personnel would participate in battle of Okinawa under a different name and most likely unit.

2nd Raiding Brigade

Organized as part of the Teishin Shudan, the 2nd Raiding Brigade was formed in 1941. The brigade was trained in Takachiho, Miyazaki on the island of Kyushu, and later took its name from the town. The unit was divided into two regiments, the 1st and 2nd regiment, each numbering around 700 men. Counting ground support, logistics companies, and pilots, the brigade had around 2475 men. During combat operations later in the war, the brigade was divided into four regiments.

In February 1942 the brigade was dropped over and captured a Dutch oil refinery in Pelembang, using captured Lockheed Hudsons with Royal Air Forcemarkings for deception. A small drop was conducted over Timor later that year, but 2nd Brigade saw no further action until late 1944.

During the Philippines campaign, the 2nd Raiding Brigade was deployed to Luzon in the Japanese-occupied Philippines to reinforce the islands’ garrison (American forces had landed on nearby Leyte in late October) while the rest of the Raiding Group remained in Japan. On Luzon, the brigade was ordered to conduct operations against small airstrips on Leyte under American control; these airstrips were being used to project American air superiority over Leyte and as a staging ground for American attacks on convoys carrying Japanese reinforcements. Japanese commanders hoped that, by launching paratrooper attacks on the airstrips, sufficient numbers of American planes could be destroyed on the ground to halt the American advance and to allow for reinforcements to be safely sent to Leyte

In the attack that followed, the brigade suffered heavy casualties. Most transports made it to their designated drop zones, but 18 out of 35 aircraft were subsequently shot down or crashed, and the heavy anti-aircraft fire encountered led to confused pilots dropping their troopers over the wrong targets. The attacking paratroopers did some damage, but many were cut down by American anti-aircraft fire

After the defeat on Leyte, the brigade was scattered across numerous islands. Around 500 men remained on Luzon, fighting with the island’s garrison until the end of the war, with 80 men surviving

• And to our last Paratrooper unit after this unit there will be images and such (Remember I told you that this will be not the end of story for 1st raiding brigade well some of their personnel used to make Giretsu Kuteitai)

Giretsu Kuteitai(Lit. Heroic Paratroopers)

After the US strategic bombers began attacks on Tokyo from bases in the Mariana Islands, the 1st Raiding Brigade of the Teishin Shudan was ordered to form a commando unit for a “special operations” mission to attack and destroy the bombers on the Aslito Airfield on Saipan. Captain Michiro Okuyama, commander of the Brigade’s engineering company and trained in sabotage and demolition was selected as mission leader, and he selected an additional 126 men from his own team (1st Teishin-Dan 1st Regiment 4th Company) to form the first Giretsu Airborne Unit. It was initially organized with a command section and five platoons and one independent squad, based at the IJA air academy at Saitama. The group unit also included eight intelligence officers and two radio men from the Nakano School.

The attack against the Marianas was scheduled for 24 December 1944, but was called off after American raids damaged the planned refueling airfields on Iwo Jima. After the Marianas raid was cancelled plans were made to attack airfields on Iwo Jima captured by the United States Marine Corps in March, but these too were cancelled when the Iwo Jima garrison fell.

On 1 April, US forces landed on Okinawa, and American fighters based on Okinawa’s west coast intercepted and shot down many kamikaze aircraft attacking the American fleet. In the middle of April, the Sixth Air Army requested the deployment the Giretsu Special Forces to neutralize these airfields, in what was designated “Operation Gi-gou”. On 18 May, this was authorized.

On the night of 24 May 1945, 12 Ki-21-IIbs of Daisan Dokuritsu Hikotai (“3rd Independent Squadron”: 32 crew members commanded by Captain Chuichi Suwabe) were dispatched for a strike, each with 14 commandos. Eight were assigned to Yontan and four to Kadena. Four aircraft aborted the mission with engine problems, and three more were shot down, however five managed to crash-land at Yontan airfield during the confusion caused by a diversionary attack by some 50 IJAAF and IJN bombers and fighters.

Only one plane landed successfully. About 10 surviving raiders, armed with submachine guns and various explosives, then wreaked havoc on the supplies and nearby aircraft; they destroyed 70,000 gallons of fuel and nine aircraft and damaged 29 more before being annihilated by the defenders. One survivor joined the Thirty-Second Army Headquarters around 12 June.

A second large-scale attack on bases in the Marianas with the specific intent of destroying B-29 Superfortress bombers was again planned with 60 transports and 900 commandos for the nights of 19-23 August 1945 (Operation Ken-gou). On 15 August, Japan surrendered and the operation was canceled.

Okay with all this lets start with uniforms

(This last image is taken from attack on Dutch east indies and the guy has a gillies cape on him)
About that gillies cape here something to make it easier to understand

The uniforms are similar to what we’ve already got for other paratrooper but Japanese paratroopers used wide verity of color skims so making them different would not be problem my suggestion use the metal helmet with netting and that gillies cape and green or grey suit
These are for both 1st and 2nd raiding brigades anyhow for Giretsu Kuteitai

Unit emblem

For 1st and 2nd raiding brigades we can use
For Giretsu Kuteitai couldn’t find any emblem beside this from Wolfenstein WIKI who knows might be true if not still is a cool emblem

With that we need to talk about equipment

1-Tera rifles (Unique weapon)
Tera rifle were takedown rifle made for Paratrooper we have obviously type 100 that leave Type 1 and 2 (In order 1st type 1 and then type 2)

2- Type 99&96 (I mean is there anything to say here)

3-For mortars we only have type 89

4- for anti tank there is type 97

5- Type 26 revolver (not in game but maybe the squad could come with’em)

Ofc as always these were stuff that were used historically + other stuff that I didnt name cause we dont have them in game like type 11 Mortar or already in game like Arisaka sniper rifles
But as always lets look at other guns that could be given to these squads

• From this point on imma try to give 2 squads weapons that would make them high tier (Br4-5 ) one premium and the other event and last squad would be BR-3 for mid tier now that we have kind of proper MM

First lets look for BR3 stuff prime Semi-auto territory

6- Carbine variant of Type A(Ko) And Type C rifle(Hei)

Nothing much here just carbine variant of both semi-auto .Type A (Ko)being 90 mm smaller than normal variant and type Hei is 50 mm smaller than normal variant BTW carbine variant of type hei can accept 10 round so yeah if DF needs to an other techtree 10 round semi auto this would be good

7- Hino Komuro M1904 with 10 round mag

It is said that the initial prototype was completed in 1897 .
There is a description that it was used in an Imperial training exercise in 1904 . It is said that the prototype was made in response to a request from the cavalry for a firearm that could be fired while on horseback. It has a blow-forward mechanism similar to the Hino Automatic Pistol, feeds the 30th Type 6.5mm cartridge from a 10- or 15-round box magazine, and is equipped with a fixed spike bayonet that closely resembles that of the later Type 44 Cavalry Rifle.

8- The Type Hua Quick Step Autorifle(Chinese weapon)
(This one has no photo only an image wich imagines what it would have looked like)(Apparently they found about the rifle in 1974 when they were checking old warehouse and did find the rifle laying around but no one took a photo)

Artistic Representation

Would be a great event weapon

9- Kijirō Nambu Prototype semi-auto

This defiantly needs explaining
In 1930, when the Army Technical Headquarters officially began development of semi-auto rifles, Nanbu Gun Manufacturing submitted two prototype rifles to the First Department of the First Technical Research Institute.
The basic operating style of this first prototype automatic rifle was a gas-operated type, and the bolt was locked/unlocked using two locking lugs installed on the bolt.The
ammunition used was 6.5. It was equipped with a 10-round removable box magazine and was extremely lightweight at 3.8 kgf (final draft).
These Nambu prototype rifles were subjected to live firing tests at the Tokyo Arsenal, and during these tests, it was pointed out that although the basic design itself was good, there were problems in terms of functionality. Therefore, Nambu made some design
changes to improve this point and submitted the improved version to the Army again. The second prototype automatic rifle was sent to Manchuria to undergo live firing durability tests in the extremely cold region. In response to the results of excessive tests such as
immersion in water and mud, minor modifications were made.

I think that’s enough lets look at BR4-5 guns that could be given

10- Experimental submachine gun Type I model 1934.
The number of Type I submachine guns produced in 1934 is estimated at 50 units. The Imperial Japanese Army tested it in 1936 and 1937, supposedly underwent military tests in southern China (there is no confirmation of this fact yet), information about tests and use in the imperial fleet is not confirmed.
Performance characteristics of the submachine gun Type I (Shisei is–gata kikauu tanjuu) model 1934, caliber 8x21mm Nambu, open-end 50-round magazine, total length 638 mm, barrel length 229 mm, rate of fire 400-600 rounds per minute, weight 2950 g

11- Type II A model 1942(OR model B)
Type II A of the 1942 model was slightly shorter than the 1934 model and did not have a device for attaching a bayonet.
The maximum set rate of fire is 820 rounds per minute. Culd be fed either 30 or 50 round.
The total length of the barrel with chamber is 241.3 mm, the rifled part with a bullet transition is 220 mm. The number of riflings is 6, with a width of 3.175 mm, a depth of 0.1524 mm, and a rifling stroke of 254 mm.
The outer surface of the barrel has segmental longitudinal lobes to increase the intensity of heat removal during prolonged shooting.
The British test group tested a modification of the Type II A submachine gun of the 1942 model showed excellent performance in automatic fire, was characterized as an easily controlled and accurate weapon with low weight, with minimal barrel drift and low recoil.

13-Type Hei automatic rifle with 20 round mag

14- Type 89 flexible type"Te-4"

69 round pan magazine

There might be some mistakes on units and squads anyhow hope you guys enjoyed this

22 Likes

Very comprehensive post. Well done!

3 Likes

We need those para helmets ingame

5 Likes

I was going do a post like this, but you won this time, thanks mister, I am grateful you try help us

1 Like

There was a type 96 variant for paratroopers without telescopic sight on it.
Their default weapon should be those mgs like brits

1 Like

This post is so beautiful, now make another about Japanese Radio Operators.

I’m trying to have a whole collection here…

On the events I missed and few not available to buy :wink:

1 Like

I can do that in fact I can give them cool weapons,too just gonna take some time I have my hands full right now with my real life

1 Like

Much appreciated and no rush :smile:

1 Like

I think we should have research tree paratroopers for all factions but there still should be Premium and event Paratroopers. IMO it’s no different than any other special squad

The Type 26 should be added as a regular unlock ie purchasable pistol

In terms of primary weapons I realized that every Paratrooper squad except the Soviet ones have a weapon that was specifically used by Paratroopers, FG 42 GL, M1A1 Carbine, Vickers K, Tera Rifle. I think this is very cool and fitting so I think that should be the standard for future special Paratroopers

Therefore I think future Japanese paratrooper squads should have fitting weapons. I think they should reimplement the Type 100 SMG (Para variant) that was a Medic squad for a new squad. Plus the Paratrooper Type 99 LMG and the other TERA rifles (the current Paras have the original variant)

And 100 round Thompson squad I mean enlisted isnt HA but maybe choosing guns that make sance for paratrooper would be ideal BTW do you think soviets didnt have any cool Paratrooper weapons that DF was forced to choose Techtree stuff for those I think it was deliberate so if soviets can get anything then Japanese paras also can

1 Like

I forgot about that one :sweat_smile: but that means all but one Paratrooper squad has a Para weapon

They could’ve easily just give the Soviet Paras a Para weapon or at least unique weapon but I think they just wanted to push them out fast so they just gave them no weapons lol

I don’t think they’d reimplement them, but perhaps they’ll add new fitting Soviet Para squads with weapons like yours

I like it add japanese paratroopers

1 Like

So there was defiantly no rush to bring paras when introducing pre-order bundle with 100 round Thompson they could have selected another weapon but they didn’t for Soviet Paras if it was just one squad then yeah but they introduced 2 squad with A-historical loadout same could be done with Japanese squads like I always say game doesn’t need to follow reality 1to1 and also if we follow HA then there would be not BR5-4 Japanese paras

There was a Paratrooper variant of the Type 99 LMG which would be pretty fitting, gameplay wise wouldn’t be too different but would still be a cool detail to have instead of just the plain default.

1 Like