Hull MGs

Many of the tanks in the game feature hull MG’s next to the driver (or on soviet tanks on the back of the turret).

Many situations I get in could always use an extra machine gun (For example when my turret ring is destroyed or there is a need to mow squads down in mass) but these dont seem to be modeled on most tanks except a Japanese tank where it’s only because it doesn’t have a coax on the main gun.

It would be a very nice small thing that could be added that many tankers like me could appreciate.

16 Likes

With, AIs now using APC turrets it would be good to implement this feature chiefly for realism and immersion, AI can handle this process letting commander focus on tanking.

I would say you automatically need a counterbalance as we discussed today, chiefly heavy AT guns and better AT for infantry in general

2 Likes

I would prefer having a loader over a useless MG gunner so I would pass.
Given how most tanks use coaxials this would be a strait up nerf to tanks.

I personally would like it to work more like the T-28 where regardless of being in gunner or commander POV it follows your sight.

I see where you are going but having something like a tiger 2 with an invincible AI soldier that can see anything in its way given time to aim and an accurate MG-34 being to overpowered. Although I see the LVT being balanced since the gunners clearly are easy to shoot at with small arms, other things like the soviet halftrack and german closed APCs are a pest to deal with being able to shoot their MG’s through the side of the vehicle.

1 Like

How though? They already have a useless crew member sitting in the position for the MG. They could simply make the MG gunner prioritize being a loader if the previous would be killed.

Wouldnt get that excited, hull MGs have terrible traverse (or literally zero traverse on M3 lee / IS2)

I think on average battle Id expect 1-2 snipes by AI if im lucky, drive around with 1 AI gunner in an apc only and u see how ineffective it is (not a full rifle squad balzing wildly with SMGs, just 1 guy to replicate 1 MG gunner)

Aka, this is a flavor inclusion; I think being player controlled makes them more powerful, prob against that.

That one is usefull as a replacement.

But that isnt how they implemented it.
Many of the japanese tanks would be better of without their hull MG as they are too restrictiv to be usefull and you really need that loader way more than the MG that wont even shoot unless you give up on the main gun but why should you.

It would be simple, dont give gunner access to unmoveable MG’s
(I did not realize the IS-2 mg was unmoveable TY)
And tanks like the t-28 and that one japanesse tank already are player controlled and not broken but still fun.

My Aussie AC loves to spits it’s load with it’s hull d… I mean lmg.

It works wonderfully, mate!

6 Likes

The T-28’s dont work like that as they prioritize being loaders and I love to play it.

They could also add a system where you could order parts of your crew to hard lock or prioritize themselves to certain positions. I know that when I try to use my tank with less than the max amount of people in the turret and switch from commander to gunner, my loader and gunner get mixed up and a mechanic to lock them would be very nice.

Yes.

Most of the tanks that currently have functioning hull MG belong to the Japanese, those being:

• Ha-Go
  • Ka-Mi
  • Ho-I
  • Chi-Ha Kai
  • Chi-Ha Short Gun
  • Chi-Nu

The only none Japanese tank that have a functioning hull MG is the A.C.I .

4 Likes

I would love more hull mgs. Certain tanks would be more interesting

3 Likes

Not true, Jagdpanther does have working hull MG as well.
And it is hull MG, because you can’t shoot with it on gunner position. Only if you are commander.

1 Like

Oh yeah forgot about that one.

2 Likes

Also turret mgs in the back because sometimes enemies climb on top of your engine. This would help get rid of them

4 Likes

Probably not doable since hte tanks are war thunder models that don’t get to use hull MG’s most of hte time

What tanks?

Yes but they know how to make them as they appear all the time. And many tank mechanics like opening of hatches and spinning driver optics are unavalible in War thunger but they end up adding them very well into enlisted.

Cant be too hard

@tommyZZM has added working flame throwers and the like to hull mgs in his mod

1 Like