How to balance a future Japanese faction

1. More Melee options. The Japanese had bayonets on all of their rifles and most of their SMGs, which should be reflected ingame. In addition, the Gunto cavalry sword should be available in logistics for maybe 2 silver orders apiece, giving the Japanese an edge in melee combat. Meanwhile, Americans should be limited in their bayonet options, but should still at least have a few. Maybe not on the M1 Garand, but on the M1903. They could also add an M1A1 Carbine, a M1 Carbine paratrooper version with a slot for a bayonet.
  2. Stealth. First, certain Japanese squads(I’m thinking Sniper, Assaulter, and Machine Gunner) should wear camo that is ACTUALLY EFFECTIVE, such as strapped leaves to the torso or “ghillie suits” rather than camo smocks like the Germans have. Second, there should be secret tunnels and “spider holes” that are visible only on the map of Japanese players, but not to the maps of US players, allowing the Japanese to sneak through the jungle and pop out from hidden nooks and crannies.
  3. Kamikaze!
    Make the Japanese planes(if not all planes) cause explosive AoE damage upon crashing, equivalent to maybe a 50kg bomb? This would allow pilots on the Japanese team to make one last hail mary to wipe a squad that’s rushing the point.
  4. Hellish Jungle Warfare.
    The jungle should be miserable. Some areas will be swamped in knee-high water or thick underbrush that restricts movement. The humid environment produces swaths of rainforest mist that obstructs vision. And perched on the cliffs far removed from this hell hole are the spawn points of the Japanese soldiers! While American troops will have to slog through jungles, Japanese soldiers should be able to bypass these natural blockades via valley ridges, rope bridges, and secret tunnels, giving them much better mobility.
  5. Home Team Advantage.
    The Japanese being the defenders on, say, Iwo Jima, will create a similar situation to Normandy, but with Type 97 MGs instead of MG42s. They will obviously also have access to better holding positions, fortified areas, bunkers, etc.
3 Likes

not sure about the kamikaze, thers already too much of that. also iwo jima would be hard to properly balance, more so than early war (eg japan taking philippines). other than that i think that would make the game much more interesting

give at their high-end Bolt-Action a high rate of fire (like:Winchester/lee-enfield n4 mk1) so they dont need use semi-automatic

1 Like

They should just add the Type 4 Rifle. ZH-29 and Armaguerra Mod .39 were barely used according to what I’ve read here, and it would give the Japs a unique semi-auto rifle to compete with the M1 Garand. I mean c’mon, who wants the Pacific without the M1 Garand due to balance?

Point is, I’m sure there’s some kind of semi-auto that Jap players can grind for within reason. Just no more of that Level 25 bullshit like Tunisia.

There were no Zh-29s or Armaguerras in Japanese sevice. However, they did reportedly field a Pederson rifle knockoff known as the Type Hei Rifle chambered in 6.5 mm Arisaka, which is similar to 6.5 Carcano. IMO, the Devs have two real options. First is to do Burma, and make the Allies mostly use armored cars like the Daimler Mk II and Humler Mk IV. This means that allies get lightly armoured cars to counter things like the Ha-Go, which also have paper thin armour, as well as negating the imbalance in weaponry, as Commonwealth forces only bolt action rifles, meaning a campaign only including them like Burma can just skirt the semi-auto issue all together. The other option is go Okinawa, and use the “Jumbo precedent” to add things like the Type 4 Rifle, Chi-Nu and other things reserved for the defence of the home islands.

Never said the Japanese used those. But fair enough for the rest of what you said. I just can’t see Japs being a desirable faction without some kind of semi-automatic rifle to work towards. There’s gotta be something cool they can use.

There is always this way

Wouldn’t the Japs have captured some kind of semi-automatic rifles from other countries? Bolt Actions are shit meta once you unlock semi’s. I really don’t care what argument people use against it. Semi Auto’s are significantly more fun to use, and most people are gonna have them eventually.

And give them garand and m1 carabine is another problem because dont give faction differenzation, jap use even capture thompson…

None that I’m aware of outside of the Garand, but the Type 4 Rifle is mechanically just a Garand, so its better to add that. the Type Hei Rifle can be added to match the M1 Carbine, and boom, semi-auto problem solved. The biggest problem is full auto weapons to match things like the M2 Carbine.

1 Like

Not sure about that one. I don’t see the devs doing captured weapons logic in the campaign system.

Just looked it up, the Type Hei Rifle actually looks kind of funny. I’d like to try that, although I’d still like to see the Type 4 Rifle added to Enlisted because there’s little to no media which covers it other than Forgotten Weapons and a few other channels on YT. I just don’t see it as THAT immersion breaking since we have those other aforementioned rifles which weren’t used in a large scale.

Yeah, its a funny little gun. The type 4 is the most likely way the Devs will balance the Garand though (They better not fuck up the reload like the G41 though). I won’t worry about being too immersion breaking, as you can easily get more G43s in the Berlin campaign than were actually there, and the devs don’t care (There were 5 G43s in Berlin).

In Japanese, there are several books basis on Japanese-side primary documents about such weapons.

“日本の小火器徹底研究 小銃・拳銃・機関銃入門 [Thorough research on small arms in Japan: Introduction for Rifles, Handguns and Machine Guns]” by 佐山二郎 [Sayama Jiro] have detailed description about Japanese army’s semi-auto projects. (Navy projects are not very detailed)
ISBN-13: 978-4769822844

In the Japanese semi-auto rifle project since 1932, they made three types of prototype: Ko (A), Otsu (B) and Hei (C).
Since improvements were made from time to time to reflect the test results, guns with many different details were implemented depending on the test stage.
I’m not sure about Otsu, but Model Ko and Otsu were had two subtypes: long and short. This is like the Type 99 Rifle long and short types. At the practical test in March ~ April 1935, development of Otsu was cancelled because it was unsuitable for practical use.
The last-stage (4th stage) prototypes were completed in October 1937. In that stage, they manufactured 4 each for Ko long, Ko short, Hei long and Hel short. (total 16) Trial was completed, but due to start of war, project was cancelled. Because of it, Japanese army didn’t decided which type of prototype was the best.

maybe they could just…not have the m2 carbine? lol.

It’s experimental gun which is not adopted but there are very light weight (5.5 kg) light machine gun alike FG 42.

For details please refer to this post below.

Not gonna happen, the devs are not going to miss a chance to implement a full auto weapon as demonstrated in the AVS and AKT in Moscow. The gun aizenns shows is the best option, but it is pushing even the “Jumbo precedent”. The only other real option is to say the Japanese captured some Federov Automats or AVS 36s in Khalkin Gol and give them those, but that’s even more fantastical than the prototype gun. Either way, its iffy at best.

In my opinion, implement prototypes are still better than such captured soviet weapons. such guns were investigated at Japanese army’s technical department but not they had not affected the Japanese army so much.
In addition, different to Sino-Japanese war and Asia-Pacific war, in such border incidents only few guns were captured and never used by Japanese soldiers at battlefield.

Yeah, prototype weapons are probably better, but both are iffy at best, and I don’t really know how much research the devs are gonna do. I really hope its not gonna be AVS 36s though.

1 Like

I remember seeing a Forgotten Weapons video of a interwar Japanese toggle-lock semi rifle, don’t remember the name though.