Helmets and uniforms of the Imperial Japanese Army

As we all have noticed the only nation that still lacks full customization is Japan(the US only lacks this on the Pacific), I know though that other nations have incomplete customization…yes I’m looking at Tunisia Axis but regardless of this is quite interesting the amount of customization options available for Japan, from headbands, to helmets with kanji on them and foliage suits that helped blending in on the jungle, the Japanese Army has a lot of possible cosmetics that can be added, of course this doesn’t mean the game is gonna turn into CoD Vanguard or BFV, because the Japanese DID use this items in real life, these are my ideas for cosmetics:

• first of all we need hair. my guys here looking like Mr. Clean.

• More Tropical helmets:
    In-game the engineers have the option of one particular helmet which is the “Type 98 tropical helmet” this as its name suggests was mainly used on tropical parts due to the fact that it wasn’t made with steel but rather with different materials and lighter colors…on game we have only 1 option of these but in real life there was a lot of variety of these, varying in color and shapes due to early and late production

it would be nice to see more options for the Type 98 as far as I could find it never used a net like the Type 90

• Helmets with characters on them:
    as the war progressed it was more common to find helmets with characters draw into them, of course this means that it wouldn’t be weird having a couple of options for the game with certain characters in them
    7b79c928d7933bdca3127a02b8224c43

oh! and don’t forget about this variant for the medics:

• Hachimaki
    …also known as the “Kamikaze headbands”(I hate that name) are represented on several pieces of media that have Japan on them, the hachimaki of the Special Attack units usually had the rising sun on them while the Army was seen with bands that had the Hinomaru in the center, the band was presumably worn 2 ways, one without a helmet mainly media portraying this(is uncertain if this happened or not) and the other way is around the helmet covering the star in the front, this doesn’t need further explanation is a headband that can go around the helmet or just the head without a helmet

large_IP200821JAA000757000

and I will use again this space to once again for the 10,000th time request to change the colors of the uniforms, like is just a google search away, it can’t be that difficult…anyway these are my ideas I wanted to also suggest the foliage cape but I feel this is too long already, what do you guys think? what are some cosmetics you guys would like to see for the Japanese?

19 Likes

The japanese atm have little to no real choice between helmets as they are mostly all the same, Some of this would be rather nice to have, The Hachimaki would make a lovely thing for pilots and AT gunners alike.

7 Likes

I’m sorry to say but these helmets seems very strange.

first photo:
目, ス, 内 … meaningless

second photo:
贈 ジョージリプタク … donated by George Liptak

third photo:
Naval ensign on Army star

They seems like created after war by non-Japanese speakers.

5 Likes

This is purely my own thought, but regarding the first piece, if you read it from right to left and interpret the Japanese national flag as the character ‘の’ (‘no’), it gives the impression of being a phonetic equivalent for ‘uchinomesu’ (打ちのめす). In any case, it doesn’t seem to have been actually worn on the front lines but may be some kind of commemorative item.

As for the second piece, it is likely a post-war souvenir, possibly sent to George Liptak, a GI from the mountains of scrap. It could be a sarcastic remark towards GIs, or perhaps someone wrote characters like ‘武運長久’ (‘buun choukyuu’) or ‘大東亜共栄圏’ (‘Dai Toa Kyoeiken’) on it. The third piece… well, I don’t know. However, after the war, there were many cases where scrap from the old Japanese military was collected and sold as souvenirs to GIs on the black market. Helmets from the military were scattered around, and they were repurposed as cooking pots during those times.

As for the fourth piece, the helmet belonging to a healthcare worker with the inscription ‘砂川分団’ (‘Sunagawa Buntan’), it is likely a civilian fire brigade helmet, and it seems to be from Kyoto. I wonder if this also dates back to the post-war era.

2 Likes

I think the helmets we have for the Japanese are good as it is. But I would rather have proper Japanese uniforms.

My mother tongue is Japanese, but i can’t agree it…
Even id we treat sunmark as の, it can’t explain why they use Nara-era stuyle primitive text lol.

Sure, left will be 武運長久, but they use the word 大東亜共栄圏 sounds bit strange because its political slogan. I thought its just place name + anything. (eg. 大東地区)

Surely 分団 sounds like post-war volunteers fire department (消防団)’s lower part.
Their predecessors, 警防団 during WW2 also used 分団 to show lower part, but they ordinarily used cap made of cloth. (Similar to army’s cap)

Anyway, it is very very strange that wear cap with strange doodles. Its equipment owned by the army, not private one…

2 Likes

I am also Japanese and I agree with him.
Some of the helmets raised in the OP are very odd for a wartime army to use.
It should be noted that some existing Japanese military helmets were treated as souvenirs or mementos by the Chinese or Americans who picked them up, and may have been decorated or painted in a way that they were not during the war.

4 Likes

Exactly. And the ones with “facial hair” look even weirder

3 Likes

How about at least a headband? Most of us are crazy kamikaze katana wielding maniacs anyway

3 Likes

I wouldn’t mind headbands if darkflow can make them properly. As far as I know they will make oversized head bands.

2 Likes

I think it would be cool to have navy helmets (helmets with and anchor on them instead of a star) so we could make our own navy units, like the Japanese marines, the special navy landing forces, which were a part of the army.

2 Likes

I just want the paratrooper helmet option for my Rikusentai. I like caps but i don’t like them when they are the only option, same for the 31st infantry regiment.

Still no sure how high one has to become to consider that headgear an acceptable addition to the game.

1 Like

That would be cool. I’d like it if we could have the IJN Naval Infantry uniforms to go along with it too!

IMG_5111

IMG_5109

4 Likes

Where is the no helmet option? I want my bald and based Japs!