Flying “view” look around fix?

Hey guys,

I have a question/problem… My issue was that when I am flying planes in game, I have a button/ability to look around the plane while still flying the plane in a certain direction. My problem arises, though when I try to look around using this feature, it will turn my /players head Around to look around and view, but it also will y’all and spin the plane.

How do I set my controls to wear when I want to view and look around, it disconnects from the plane and only controls my players head and view? Currently, when I wish to look behind me when I am in a air battle or a dogfight, my plane will start to spin and turn, and it becomes very frustrating and it causes me not to be able to defend myself PC pilots etc.

Any help would e greatly appreciated!

-Missingmayhem13

I use “C” for looking around - I think it is the default?

With my 3rd finger on C I can still use ASDW to fly the plane reasonably well.

even on PC if I hit the keys it sometimes spins anyway. That being said, on PC, when I do this, I typically use a secondary controls (WASDEQ) to move the aircraft instead of the mouse while I am in freelook mode. As such, for controller, I think it would be most productive if you could lay out the controls you wish to use so we can identify how to do it in game or suggest that it be updated so that it can be done if not available.

1 Like

OK, I will take a screenshot when I can and put this in the chat. I am on xbox and use a standard controller.

I’ll return with some SS of my controls.

Hi, I’ve tried a few different things with freelook - both with mouse & keyboard controls, and joystick controls.
There are major problems with freelook in planes - especially when trying to use a joystick/gamepad.
I will check again tomorrow when I have more time, but for now I’d recommend experimenting with a few different settings in Plane controls…

• There are 2 different versions of freelook which can be mapped to axis/buttons - they actually act slightly different. The 1st is near the top of the Plane controls settings (I think it’s called ‘Look Around’ ?), but there’s ALSO a 2nd setting much lower on the list called ‘View’. They are slightly different in how they work. Try clearing the 1st and using ‘View’ instead to see if that does what you need.

• You may need to use a different gamepad stick (not the one you use to manoeuvre the plane) in order to prevent the movement of that stick also moving the plane.

• Try setting a button as a ‘modifier’ which you need to hold down for the freelook to work. When you let go of this button your view should reset to centre.

I’ll update this post later tomorrow when hopefully I can provide a proper solution.

1 Like

I have never managed to get this to work on PS4. I have to manually move my view back to the centre and never get it quite right. I’ve “sort of” got used to flying with an off-centre view :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Argh no you can easily fix this !

1. They recently added a ‘centre view’ assignable control.

2. Alternatively (if you’ve already run out of spare buttons) - you can just set the same button as ‘reset view’ but have it set as ‘quick press’ in ‘button setup’. So you hold down the button to move your view, then tap it quickly when you want to reset to centre.

3. Or, if you use the ‘look around’ controls instead of ‘view’ then - while you hold down the ‘modifier’ button you can move your view around, but as soon as you release the ‘modifier’ your view will return to centre automatically.
    btw - remember this only works when using ‘look around’ controls NOT ‘view’. controls.

1 Like

Here’s a quick unedited video explaining what I mean.

1 Like

…and here’s a proper explanation for how to fix the joystick bug -

1 Like

Yes! I have used a view in the past, and the only issue is with the view option, is that when I use my modifier (left on dpad+ hold) And I let go of it to return to looking forward/ahead, My characters head does not reset back to forward, it stays stuck in whichever free look direction I left off at. If I try adjusting, I can never get it, and I am always looking either slightly to the left or to the right of my gun sight.

Yes, I have that same issue exactly! I can never get it to be just exact where I was originally at!.

Set ‘Look Around’ instead of ‘View’ to fix your problem.
Remember to still set a ‘Modifier’.
With ‘View’ it will stay where you let go of Modifier -
but with ‘Look around’ it will return to centre.
I know it seems silly - but trust me, these 2 different variants on freelook controls have different effects.

Please ignore everything I say after about 2mins - especially about me using ‘View’ - I found another stupid bug with that so now I use ‘Look around’ instead and just have to hold down the modifier button.
ALSO - ‘Reset Look Direction’ has NO EFFECT if you use ‘Look around’ as freelook - it only (for some stupid reason) works in combination with ‘View’ - which won’t be a problem if you just assign controls to ‘Look around’ and just ignore ‘View’.

btw - the stupid bug with ‘View’ is this -
It is aligned with the ‘absolute’ directions up/down/left/right - NOT the RELATIVE directions (in relation to the direction of your plane).
So - if you bank left or right, the View controls will make you look UP away from the surface of the Earth or DOWN towards Earth. For example - bank fully 90 degrees left - look ‘up’ - you end up looking RIGHT in relation to your plane.

1 Like

Try this guide I put together if on console / PC might help: https://www.reddit.com/r/enlistedgame/s/SnTejX8AkP

1 Like

Thank you, I will watch the video when I am on the game and I will report back. I appreciate your help and input!

Great guide as well! Lots of information! Thank you for your response!

1 Like

Done back in CBT before merge plane guns were very different back then, glad you liked it :+1:

1 Like

This is working for me. Thank you :grinning:

2 Likes