Fallschirmjagers drop canister

I just realized that paratroopers in this game work exactly how the fallschirmjager in ww2 did things and what I mean by this is they would drop in with almost nothing on them and go to a canister that had there equipment
that being said my suggestion is can fallschirmjagers get drop canister instead of crates because that is what they had during ww2
(this is not top priority but is something that would be a cool detail for those people into history)

example

14 Likes

interesting but what the american version? is it a crate like in game?

I think Americans dropped with all there equipment

like they just have them already? dam
also i remember this from company of hero that american can drop in with AT gun too is this true?

err…

not quite.

germans only dropped with sidearms, and then went to the crate to grab main weapons and what not.

but, sure.

custom crates for each faction would be great

it would also allow for players to recognize the paras faction based on looking the crate in customs/mods.

where for example, hardcore hud is in place.

The Germans were the only ones retarded enough to drop with their weapons separately
Everyone else carried their small arms with them

Outdated parachute, but hey, guess who got a new do-it-all weapon to drop with?

1 Like

Not the Falschirmjager because they were wiped out in Crete and for the most part relegated to ground ops other than I think Italy

Pretty sure most of them survived and converted to mountain troops and fought till Berlin, the mustacheman abandoned the paradrop idea due “too heavy casuality”, despite the Fallschirmjager got a very nice K/D in Crete and their overall operation, I mean is not a fked up like Market Garden scale for sure

3 Likes

Yeah that’s what I said
They performed admirably once they were on the ground for the rest of the war

Or a failure like the Soviet VDV for the most time

1 Like

What? They performed well during the early war too. That´s the part of the war where they where allowed to actually do Paratroopers things and did them well. Just like combined arms warfare it´s something that the germans started doing and the allies perfected when they couldn´t do it themselves anymore.

Post proof

I’m completely unaware of any large scale usage outside of Crete and defensive ops as the Germans were slowly ground down

They were used through all early war engagements to secure airfields, bridges and strategic locations.

If you are only interested in en masse, no…nothing like Crete. And although Crete is labeled a disaster, if you look at the forces commited on both sides and the situation, the Fallshcirmjagers were so bad ass they pulled off a victory when they shouldnt have.

This particular battle is pretty interesting.

3 Likes

Battle of Fort Ében-Émael
Battle of Leros
Battle of the Corinth Canal
https://history.army.mil/books/wwii/104-13/104-13.HTM
God bless the US military

2 Likes

Pretty sure they kicked all the British in Operation Mercury with almost 5:1 ratio, in Crete

Before that they dominated Belgium and mixed bag in Norway, they have some last stand in Italy and small scales in other places after Grete

For individual equipment containers, this was simply a consequence of the biggest German mistake adapting completely unsafe and uncontrollable RZ parachutes (Rückenfallschirm, Zwangauslösung).

These parachutes were used only because they could be opened really low, thus leaving less time for the canopy ride where the soldier would be vulnerable when shooting at him from the ground. But it had one single riser instead of ordinary four, and it was impossible to steer. The landing speed was very dangerous, so it was always necessary to roll over when landing on the ground. So a soldier could technically and physically only carry side-arms, a few “egg” grenades and a gravity knife.

However, individual various equipment containers were also available for the Allied forces too. So it is possible to adapt such things in the game, just like different rally’s, machine-gun nests, or anti-aircraft guns that we already have.

6 Likes

Little PSA here, anyone could get a hold of this information by simply googling “Why did german fallschirmjager use weapon containers” and click on the first result. In this case a Quora thread talking about Fallschirmjaeger kit. Sometimes the most simple approach is the best.

But not you.

Therefore, I put it so that the information would be clear and understandable regarding the FJ container usage. The discussion continues from the historical side, which drew my attention.

Regards

Except that I did. https://www.quora.com/Why-did-the-German-Fallschirmjäger-drop-their-long-weapons-in-separate-containers-during-WW2-while-paratroopers-of-other-countries-carried-their-weapons-with-them-during-the-jump
This thread discusses all of the points that you mentioned. You just summerized it. I found it like I said anyone could.

Just to be clear I wasn´t tying to pick a fight. Just a public service announcement of sorts to tell people that they can do the simplest of reseach themselves instead of relying on others spoonfeeding them.