Create fixed and empty biomes for modders to use in their mission / import maps from other dragor games

a bit of context

greetings.

today ““i”” come with a suggestion that i think it would largely aid modders for future updates and references.

( in all honesty, this was @Enginya’s idea. hence, i don’t want to take credits for it. i just took her idea and made it into a suggestion with few of my inputs with countless other’s modders notions ) however, i did wanted to push for it. )

and that is, having stable maps of where creators and modders can build at their discretions on empty maps.

by stable maps, i mean maps that will not be touched any further unlike, understandably, official maps.

because at this time and moment, creators often have to fight an ever ending battle by having to adjust their maps/mods every update. due to changed being made in the general area of where modders placed their map. as we found out, even edges of the maps are not safe from anyone:

and in some occasions completely lose their map as the designer team maded changes that us modders cannot revert.

it’s not to throw pop shots at them, but it would be great to have a safe enivormenets for us to keep our maps as much stable as possible.

and as briefly mentioned, it would be extreamely helpful if we could get empty maps that will never be touched again.

therefore

main suggestion

add maps of several type for modders to use and create maps from scratch:

empty maps

• flat maps
    R

flat maps are essentially as the name implies, squared maps with no hills and nothing of the kind
mostly great for races type of map, or allow modders the make whatever they want from basic foundations.

• hills maps

as for hills map, i was thinking something like guardalcanal, Rzhev and selow heights type of maps.
where there are some hills, rivers, and have different type of heights.

to be more in line with normandy, tunisia and other maps such as quarry. ( autumn volomnsk )

• forest maps

such as the ardenne ( except, should be more forestry ) or selow heights.

to create for example, crete, or to be more in line like gavutu. but without the palms, vegetation or rendinsts. so that creators can make them from scratch with at least some bases.

and last type,

• city maps

by city maps, i mean, maps with just roads and no buildings. so that, players can decide what to do with them, and where to place buildings for modularity.

and now that we have covered types,
it would be great to get each type of map for the following:

biomes

each map, in order to cover every modders needs and have some variety, it would be great if those type comes for each version:

• thundra
  • desert
  • winter / snowy
  • grassland
  • autumn / fall
  • scorched /burnt earth
  • country side
    and so on and on.

the last two, would be mostly great to have in enlisted too, but could be tricky. i’ll still include them anyway as i do believe could be an excellent addition with many possibilities for enlisted. and those are;

maps from crsed / cuisine royale

we know Crsed / counsine royal has lots of maps sharing assets, and styles.
however, when modders tries to upload them, there are many textures incompatible.

so it would be great if developers could import them to enlisted.

like, siberia:

the normandy map:

mexican map:

and few others.

maps from war thunder

now, perhaps might sound or be a bit controversial implementing designed tank maps into an infantry game, but i think some of them would be actually nice to have. ( that is, if it’s even possible to import them. even just the heightmaps )

408px-MapIcon_Ground_FrozenPass
MapIcon_Ground_Italy
MapIcon_Ground_FieldsofNormandy
MapIcon_Ground_EasternEurope
MapIcon_Ground_Kursk
MapIcon_Ground_RedDesert
408px-MapIcon_Ground_Tunisia
408px-MapIcon_Ground_Normandy
( yes, i know we do have some of these as an actual campaign, but i like wt ones more )

and generally, modern maps too for the modern elisted mods. such as
MapIcon_Ground_CargoPort
MapIcon_Ground_Korea
MapIcon_Ground_AbandonedFactory
MapIcon_Ground_Alaska
MapIcon_Ground_AralSea
MapIcon_Ground_Fulda
408px-MapIcon_Ground_VietnamHills

now, granted. assets of war thunder does not have interior.

but they don’t have to ( in some occasions ), and in others, i was more reffering to the actual map for the ground more than the assets.

and that is all.

i know it might seem alot of work, but again, if we work with each other, modders will be able to make more maps ( that hopefully will be more stable ) and we will not flood the forum with even more rants or requests of revert map changes because our missions got “screwed over”.

a win win situation for everyone involved.

( P.s. i know it’s a bit… weird without roads, but for the moment being, that will do. like, i rather have a functional mod that stays like that for most of the time instead of having a mod that needs changes every 2 to 3 months because something changed. that is, in the terrain compartment. which we cannot change that much. and if we do, our mod increasingly gets larger and struggles to be loaded )

also ,i was gonna suggest to keep some older versions, but i have been told those will have an harder time of getting approval.

so i followed the suggestions and went for new maps instead.

and that is all.
thanks for hearing me out, and if any other modders has something to add, let me know.

8 Likes

and that is, having stable maps of where creators and modders can build at their discretions on empty maps.

Custom DXP and GRP support will allow just that. I mean it should.

main suggestion: add maps of several type for modders to use and create maps from scratch:

I would rather have the devs spend time on dev tools than actual content, given how little time they can allocate on the editor.

add maps of several type for modders to use and create maps from scratch:

• flat maps
  • hills maps
  • mountain maps
  • forest maps
  • island maps

All of the above can be added into Enlisted when we get custom content support.

What i have been doing

I have been busy in the background. I have found tools/methods to easily:

• export heightmap from any part of the world. Yes, any part of the World.
  • get sateliite data/high quality ground texture from the same area (which is needed to generate assets on the map)
  • export Google 3D maps into Blender thus Dagor, which should allow us to accurately place POI, or add famous POIs from all around the world.

For example, Manhattan prototype:

Because lack of support, i have been modding WT lately, but only to get “ready” for Enlisted.

maps from war thunder

This will never happen IMO. War Thunder uses an older iteration of Dagor.

I even contacted War Thunder’s modders to research level modding. There is nobody here more excited for this than me.

2 Likes

speaking of,

if you could… elaborate more by making a bug report or suggestion about those, since:

maybe you will be able to do something.

while the rest of us will still clinging on things from officials.

i mean, making maps from scratch shouldn’t be hard for them.

given how little details are needed.

which, anything at this point would do.

that’s the key word though.

and, i rather settle for crsed maps since are almost 101 enlisted ones.

or even empty ones.

because again, i rather that, than having my maps all of a sudden changed or broken forever.

( you can check foy to see how messed up has become. legit, hights moved, roads at the bottom of where germans should arrive twisted completely, and a random trench hole next to the silo. )

ugh… sure
that’s kinda cool.

well, yeah cuz you’re probably the only one that managed to understand it.

1 Like

Flat grass map and way to import custom assets into the editor would be more than enough.

well, yeah cuz you’re probably the only one that managed to understand it.

I’m more than happy to help or explain anything i wrote in my guides. I don’t really excel at explaining things to others (especially people who are beginners in something) so ask away freely :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

You know, I would really like for this to be possible in the near future. It would help a lot with my mods, speicifcally the ones that take place in S. Africa.

2 Likes