Anti-tank rifle Solothurn S-18/100 and S-18/1000

I would like the addition of this weapon in enlisted as an interesting addition

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-189-1250-10,_Russland-SĂĽd,_Soldat_mit_PanzerbĂĽchse

History and development

The small Swiss arms manufacturing company Waffenfabrik Solothurn AG emerged on the world market in the late 1920s, when it was bought out by the German arms manufacturer Rheinmetall Borsig AG, which was severely limited its military activities under the clauses of the Treaty of Versailles . The Solothurn S-18/100 was the first in a line of large-calibre anti-tank rifles developed by Solothurn in the early 1930s. It is a large weapon, which could be carried by a single soldier for a short period of time.

The first model, called the Schwere TankbĂĽchse modell 5 or ST5 (Heavy Anti-Tank Rifle model 5, in German), designed to be operated and carried by a single person, was a gas-powered reloadable weapon with the gas cylinder located above the barrel. , which activated a bolt-action piston that extracted the empty casing, with powerful recoil springs that fed the chamber, leaving the weapon ready for a new shot. Then it would be the turn of the TankbĂĽchse M36, an improved version of the previous one, which in turn would become the famous S-18/100 with which the Heer It would begin its operations in World War II in the cavalry and assault brigades, first on the Polish front, and then in successive demonstrations over France and the Netherlands. The S-18/100 version featured a longer, stronger barrel, a new muzzle brake, and a more ergonomic modified cocking lever. The Solothurn S-18/100 had a telescopic sight of 4x20 magnification, maintaining the effective 20 x 105 B cartridge designed by the company Polte Werke of Magdeburg with the collaboration of the engineer Lubbe.

It was offered for export, and a small number of S-18/100 anti-tank rifles were sold to various European countries, such as Hungary or Finland. In March 1940, with funds raised in Switzerland to aid the Finnish war effort in the Winter War , Finland purchased twelve S-18/154 anti-tank rifles from Solothurn, although the buyer was nominally the Swiss Army. The weapons arrived in Finland during the spring when the war had ended, but were later used in the Continuation War. However, the weapons quickly proved obsolete against Soviet tanks.

Later Solothurn engineers decided to improve the performance of the rifle and redesigned it to fire the more powerful 20 x 138 B ammunition, which was also used in the German Rheinmetall FlaK 30 and FlaK 38anti-aircraft guns . This version was offered to buyers as the [Solothurn S-18/1000 anti-tank rifle. ; A selector fire version of the S-18/100 was offered as the S-18/1100 “Universalwaffe” for use against tanks with an integral bipod, firing in semi-automatic mode and as an anti-aircraft gun (burst firing) with special anti-aircraft mount. This version also found some buyers, including Italy, the Netherlands, and Switzerland. Some S-18/1100 rifles were also used by the German Army during World War II under the designation PzB-41(s). Overall, the Solothurn anti-tank rifles looked like formidable weapons that could handle a wide variety of missions, using anti-armor or high-explosive ammunition ., but in 1942 its armor penetration coefficients were insufficient to deal with the Soviet T-34s . These rifles were also too heavy (at least by infantry standards of the time), quite expensive, and complicated to manufacture.

weapon_solothurn1

Users

• Germany : Tested some rifles. 2
  • Bulgaria: Bought 308 anti-tank rifles in 1936. 1
  • United States : He bought 2 Solothurn S-18/100 in 1939, to test them at the Aberdeen Proving Ground. 4
  • Estonia : Bought 4 anti-tank rifles in 1936 for testing, copying them as Solothurn-Arsenal. [5]
  • Finland : Purchased 12 S-18/154 anti-tank rifles.
  • Hungary : Produced under license under the designation 36M 20mm NehĂ©zpuska . It was the main armament of the 38M Toldi light tank and the 39M Csaba armored car . 2
  • Italy : Bought a small batch for testing in 1934. 2
  • Japan : Bought a Solothurn S-18/100 in 1936, for comparison with the Type 97 anti-tank rifle
  • Netherlands : Purchased 6 anti-tank rifles for testing in 1937. 2
  • Romania : Used them as anti-material rifles from 1942. 8
  • Switzerland : Tested some rifles. 2

Solothurm S-18/100

solothurn_s18-100

Solothurn S18/1000

a noticeable difference is in the muzzle brake

Most Users

The most enthusiastic users of this model were the Italians, using it on practically all the fronts that the Regio Esercito was on: Africa, the Balkans and Russia. In the Regio Esercito it was designated Fucile anticarro di 20 mm modello S. [It was also mounted as a replacement for the main armament of the L3/33 and L3/35 tankettes , as well as aboard reconnaissance vehicles such as the Camionetta AS 42 Sahariana .

Finland purchased an anti-tank rifle for trials from the Solothurn firm in August 1939. Later in March 1940 another twelve of the S-18/154 sub-variant were purchased and used during the Winter War . They tried to buy more units that did not arrive on time; which, however, were used from 1941 during the Continuation War until 1944.

Between 1939 and 1941, the US Army considered adopting the Solothurn S-18/1000. The weapon was designated for limited procurement as the 20mm T3 Autocannon . In the spring of 1941, the S18 was tested against its opponent, the 23 mm (0.90 in) Colt T4. Although less powerful, the S-18/1000 was less bulky and complicated and was found to be more suitable for use by the Army. The plans were to acquire a batch of 50 rifles and later produce the weapon in the United States. However, lengthy contract negotiations resulted in the idea being abandoned.

9 Likes

issue with that thing is that it has a bit of gravity in it, the s-18/100 weighs 45kg, while s-18/1000 weighs 53kg

1 Like

Weight affects only stamina drain and you can bypass this with a flask.
Weight means next to 0 in the game.

3 Likes

yeah but once weight mechanic gets implemented, your soldier will be a turtle with a anti tank rifle

I heavily doubt in anything like that.

The game is arcade and I don’t see why devs would implement such system.

3 Likes

well, it would prevent people from just cram packing their soldiers with everything, and they would instead think about equipping their soldiers differently, so they dont wind up being slow turtles on the battlefield

1 Like

But devs dont want limits.

3 Likes

I like it, especially if it has the scope! I think it would make an excellent gold order weapon. Similar to the RMN-50. I know I would definitely be spending my gold orders on it.

Meanwhile: Japanese Type 97…

its alredy in the game
but whit pzb38 skin

The Type 97 automatic cannon weighs 52 kg, so that’s not that much of a problem

It is using the skin of PTRS41 instead of pzb38.

yeah, i forget that

the Italian version was equipped with wheels for easy transport even by hand
13882539_931556083636747_4102780031315233267_n
solothurn s18-1000 2

1 Like

I was looking at these AT rifles the other day. Dont know what it is about big freaking guns, But I love em.

These 20 mm could be a buildable. 1 on a sand bag, the other on wheels like the at gun (Anti tank squad). Much more mobile of course.

1 Like

I really like that idea as a sniper squad only buildable actually. Similar to how the HMG is built by the MG squad…

Built to be used from a prone position, and give it a scope. It shouldn’t be hard to locate and counter as its immobile and firing massive rounds.

1 Like

No problem with it being a sniper squad buildable over an Anti tank squad buildable. Mainly because you know it would be used to LOL snipe soldiers…

funs fun.

Not a good idea, it is too weak to be a buildable at gun. So it is better to be a hand held at rifle like the type 97.

Yeah that’s fair. I just figure with the new Tier system Coming, 20mms and AT rifle will actually have a decent place early war. Might be nice To have an at gun that can be concealed easily to wipe Tanks. Made a little bit stronger than handheld ones.

it’s wrong the pzb38 shoots from the “Patrone 318” (7.92 × 94 mm) except that the s18 shoots from 20mm