To borrow a famous saying: If we do not seize the high ground of public opinion, our opponents will. We need to fight for our voice and claim that high ground first. In the current meta, engineer squads have become largely irrelevant.
Let’s recall why engineers were strong at first. Back then, premium squads were rare. Their biggest advantage was building light machine gun emplacements, anti-tank guns and anti-air guns that regular engineers from ordinary squads could not construct. In older versions, anti-tank and anti-air emplacements were essential. If no one on our team flew fighters or our tanks were mediocre, we heavily relied on engineers to build defensive positions. Engineers were extremely valuable in that era.
However, the game has grown faster and more intense. Engineers are built for static defence, but often enemies charge in before fortifications are finished. All that hard work building defences ends up like the Maginot Line. I really dislike this fast-paced gameplay: players simply avoid firing positions and rush straight into close-quarters combat with no real tactics.
The meta has completely shifted. Event squads and premium squads can now build every type of fortification, removing the unique niche of regular engineer squads. From BR 1 to BR 4, semi-automatic weapons struggle to survive. Nine-man squads only stay viable at BR5 with full-automatic firearms; at other battle ratings, they get easily overrun by machine gun and assault squads. Engineers armed with semi-automatic rifles are like a mantis trying to stop a chariot in brutal close-quarters fights.
Squads like the Browning and saddle-mounted MG13 setups are powerful: five machine gunners plus one semi-auto armed demo man. By comparison, the Chinese submachine gun squad loses an assault trooper just so the demolitionist gets a submachine gun, which is a net loss in strength. Since premium squads can build everything, regular engineer squads have lost their core purpose. In high-intensity back-and-forth battles, if I bring three strong premium squads, heavy machine guns are not mandatory and regular engineers are basically unnecessary. Only one engineer is enough to place rally points and build sandbags, barbed wire, machine gun nests, anti-tank and anti-air emplacements.
Even if you pour all your effort into defending a capture point, you may still lose it quickly. If your teammates break and retreat, points fall extremely fast. Your freshly built fortifications vanish quickly once the zone turns grey. After experiencing this repeatedly, I no longer want to spend time building defences. Now engineers only serve one purpose: place rally points and protect them with sandbags. It is the blisteringly fast game meta that reduced engineers to this state.
If people complain that barbed wire is overpowered, I stand with you. As long as wire does not block your own team’s defence and only slows enemy assaults, those complaints can be ignored; they mostly come from simple envy.
The game also has many poorly designed mechanics. Some players place barbed wire on the inner side of windows inside capture zones instead of outside. This blocks firing angles and traps friendly troops inside the point. It is self-defeating and griefs teammates, and this bad practice deserves criticism.
Barbed wire itself is very fragile. Engineers can dismantle it, and heavy machine guns, tank shells, artillery, bombs and rockets can all destroy it. It mostly only delays AI advances and is not a strong defence. It would only become truly useful if regular engineers could no longer remove it. I used to be a player who loved building fortifications.
Arguing with people online is harder than teaching children in Africa. Once a user with an African IP replied that teaching kids there is actually much simpler than debating strangers online. This is a tough road. Most people struggle to communicate rationally. We only need to get our arguments seen and understood by more players; truth speaks for itself. Like the T-44-100 thread, I have laid out all my points. The final call belongs to forum moderators and developers.
Excessive game speed remains a core issue. My usual deck uses three MP-41R assault squads for continuous point assaults. When the situation is unstable, I use APCs and rally points to apply pressure from two sides. When facing enemy tanks or aircraft, I bring fighters to defend, support attacks or take out enemy firing positions. When a point is about to fall, I prepare paratroopers in advance. While enemy frontline troops are tied up, I drop them behind for a surprise capture.
Many static defences and emplaced weapons have long-standing flaws that have never been reworked. Emplaced machine guns are mounted too low. German MG 34 lacks sufficient vertical depression and elevation, while American and Japanese heavy machine guns have terrible sights. Emplaced anti-tank guns still cannot reposition quickly.
Years have passed, yet engineer
Well, one last thing. You’ve already tried your best. Pushing further won’t bring much reward.
Just calmly state all your points and leave it at that.
Don’t let this stress ruin your health.
I once got so mad while gaming that I ruptured an alveolus in my left lung. I spent three days in hospital. I almost missed the last marathon, haha.
Go listen to something like Flower Dance to relax.