Squad controlling is a bit too basic in the game right now, and the AIs just feel like another life when you died and won’t actually do many things, so I have come up with some suggestions and would like to share with you guys
Roles in battle
Introduce a ‘role’ system, where you can appoint jobs to soldiers in the squad in the game’s main menu like how you would edit their equipment layout.
Roles that I came up with included:
1. Default - what AIs do now, follow you and shoot the enemy that they encountered
All classes can be appointed into this role
2. Medic - will stay at the back as much as possible, and will heal downed soldiers
Only Rifleman can be appointed into this role (or make it into a class just like assaulters or riflemen?)
3. Recon - will go attempt to go ahead with the squad and tells the player the vague location of tanks, machine gun nests etc. (Enemy tank! 10 o’clock! sth like this)
Only Rifleman and Sniper can be appointed into this role
I can only think of these, any more ideas?
Set the behaviours of each soldier in the menu:
1. Passive - Aggressive (Will they cover your back, or charge with you in front?)
2. Will they attempt to throw grenades back? (At all cost? Consider the risk? Never?)
3. Will they resupply through the squad’s ammo crate? (Always? Not when the box is low? Never?)
4. Prefer moving by Running? Crouching? Or Crawling? (this will become weird tho)
(Medic only) Will they heal only squadmates? Or all teammates? Or only you and your friends?
Ability to recon (how far and how good can they see) and the chance of throwing back a grenade is based on the soldier’s rank, for example, a rank V soldier can throw back a grenade 30-40% faster than a rank I one etc
Lastly, more control in the battle
1. Battle Formation: Spear, Circle or sth like those
2. Being able to control Engineer without switching, you can call up the radial menu and appoint a building to the engineer without switching
3. Telling the squad to secure windows: by pressing a button, you can control either the whole squad or individual into windows that you pointed at (when it’s the whole squad, they will find a window on their own, with the Passive soldier still staying in the back)
4. Ask to provide suppressive fire from Assaulters and Gunners, points at a location and click the button, then AIs will go pew pew pew and shoot more than usual
Some of the suggestions might be weird, but I also want to hear some opinions from you guys, and maybe someone can come up with a better solution to gameplay and balance.
Suggestions and criticism are welcomed.