Western Allies Small Arms Balancing Discussion Thread

SO READ THEM!!

aaaaa

Yes it is, that we can agree on. The following is an incomplete list of weapons in enlisted that share characteristics with the AVT: BAR, Johnson lmg, mg-13, mg-30

What do they all have in common? Similar magazine size damage, recoil, usability in assault and long range combat, gunner class exclusivity.

2 Likes

(i mean, there is also the weight that separates AVT/AVS/FG42 from the rest of mag-fed MGs, but it’s not like you can’t get around this by balancing them in some other way should they be moved)

It was a weapon to try to replace a pistol for those who couldn’t carry a full M1 Garand. Tankers, non-frontline personnel, etc

So yeah it was a personal defense weapon similar to a pistol, just much more effective than one but much lighter if less capable than a full rifle

Still doesn’t change the fact that it is literally a rifle by name. Go on, look up the definition of carbine. Actually, here you go: a firearm similar to a lightweight rifle but with a shorter barrel/a short rifle or musket used by cavalry

Besides, regardless of what was supposed to be prolific and what wasn’t, how many M1’s and M2’s do you think were fielded vs StG’s?

1 Like

Also DF litteraly put an LMG as a “semi-auto rifle” for the soviets in the new Battle Pass. Don’t think they are going to change M2 anytime soon

Tell that the marines and airborne. The carbine was especially valued in the Pacific given the weight and magazine size.

I am about to have a brain aneuryism. Absolutely no consistency at all with weapon classes.

1 Like

The weapon doesn try to replace pistol but give better weapon to echelon troopers, is a Personal Defense Weapon, they are made for defense purpose initially, they added Bayonet, larger magazine and automatic fire for offensive role in postwar because the US Wheelchair marshal think is fine to ignore the Enemy has AR available since WWII

Is 6 millions of M1/M2/M3 carbine vs less than 500k StG44s, did the M1/M2 carbine designed to replace M1 Garand, the main weapon of US rifleman in WWII? No, did the StG44 is planned and tried to replace the main weapon the german soldier has? Yes, that’s the difference

So which was more likely, do tell?

Coming across some Krauts with a StG, or coming across an American who traded his rifle or smg for a Carbine?

Also

On 26 October 1944, in response to the Germans’ widespread use of automatic weapons, especially the Sturmgewehr 44 assault rifle, the select-fire M2 carbine was introduced, along with a new 30-round magazine. The M2 had a fully automatic rate-of-fire of 750-775 rounds-per-minute.

So it was not introduced postwar, but in the dead end of the war. Slight difference there buddy

I never said they are introduced post war, I said they are still defensive role untill post war, the bayonet lung is post war addition, and the first batch of M2s and M3s arrived officially in Okinawa 1945, so yeah I can bet there is more StG 44 in Europe than M2s, and that’s why the M2 in this game is a time travel weapon

M1 carbine needs a buff to firerate. It’s ridiculously slow, especially considering that the rest of the full size semi auto rifles have a much higher firerate.

(VG needs it too but that’s not this thread)

4 Likes

You never played against competent M2 carbine users and it shows. I was in a Pacific jap match with Erika and we where getting absolutely lasered by M2 carbines. I was sniping and still lost my sniper to one of those when he shot at me for like the 5th time. If you want proof I can search for the replay, I ain´t talking cap.

I’ve never said it’s not good already.

As opposed to the M1 carbine wich is still meh after it´s buffs.

The Bayonet lug on all M1 carbines was standardized by 1944.

The conversion kits for the M2 carbines were available as early as 1944.

Mmmm my bad at some part but certainly not standarized as you though

And you forgot to read the 2nd half of the rest…

So in Enlisted somehow M2 carbine show up in Normandy, mid 1944, that’s time traveling

You are sourcing your information from Wikipedia, a notoriously unreliable source. Various sources online even only online say that the bayonet lug was standardized 1944. I’ll provide one below.

Furthermore, if you even did any due diligence and read the cited source for the wikipedia article on the bayonet lug, you will see that Type 3 barrel bands with a built in bayonet lug was indeed produces starting in 1945, you will not find any reference to the other bayonet lug for the M1 carbine. This one simply clamps to the barrel of the gun instead of being attached to the barrel band(see images below). From what I have gathered, this type of bayonet lug was available to the US troops until the widespread adoption of the Type 3 barrel band post war, where they promptly pulled those lugs from service and probably melted them down to make more Type 3s or something because these things are stupidly hard to find.

M1CarbineT4-1

Also yes the M2 conversion kits would only be able to have been shipped to Europe later in 1944, however if that is the argument you want to have, the only planes Germany should have in Normandy is the Fw 190A-8 as all of the other planes would only have been operating over the skies of Normandy in early 1944, and not later than February 1944 after the Allies had basically established aerial superiority over all of France. Sometimes you need to bend history a bit for balance. Again to use one of my favourite examples, the P-38G was withdrawn from Europe in early 1944 and replaced by the P-38J and P-38L later on. However, the P-38L would be completely OP due to the boosters on it’s control surfaces canceling out any way that the German planes might have been able to fight it, and the payload being upped to P-47 levels of ridiculousness. Thus, the devs opted to add a plane that never flew on D-day instead to preserve balance. Something similar happened with the M2c and FG 42. Devs added the FG 42 but then needed an allied counterpart, so they bent time and space again to try and find something that would work. There were only really 2 weapons that could have been considered equal to the FG 42, the M2C and the T20E2. One saw service, one was slated to enter service but didn’t get the chance. Guess which one the devs picked.

2 Likes

And for fun especially.

Imagine playing hundreds and thousands of matches with only ol’ Kar98k and mp40.
I really couldn’t care less that “squads” are basically just brainless sandbox. (all I don’t want see is random faction combined in onw team like it is in WT)
We just need seperated historical game modes based on Tommy’s mod. I think nearly everyone would be happy in such scenario.