Automatic rifles USSR Competition 1944 ENG Job №1

It’s quite possible they used trophy rifles.

I saw indirect evidence that they’ve tried scopes on “handheld machineguns”. I guess, fedorovs?

An artillery officer made a paper describing that installing scopes on handheld machineguns turned out to be quite ineffective and he requests installing them on regular rifles (maybe even fedorov’s ones… who knows…)

Anyway, i guess, we will never know why they were equipped with plenty of binoculars and 20 sniper scopes before they were sent to front… I doubt it was in anticipation that they’ll capture rifles, idk…

1 Like

The US will also get its own AR. Plus they also have the T20 Rifle to match the Type Hei Automatic Rifle. Seems like a fair deal to me.

2 Likes

Thanks for confirming that as44 in game is pure Soviet bias. Still waiting for the day when stg45 and mkb42 get a buff.

Jokes aside, the presence of bipods on all the trial guns make me wonder whether those AR design intended to fulfill more of a mg role than smg role.

MKB is earlier irl and ingame, and it being not the best is reasonable, but the STG45 should get an accuracy buff for sure. Also I could very well be wrong but I would assume it would be somewhat realistic as well.

I think the developers didn’t have information on the rate of fire of the early AS 44, so they took the rate of fire of the lightened postwar version (592 rounds per minute). If we talk about balance, the AS 44 with a rate of fire of 500 rounds per minute will be a weak weapon, so it would be quite to leave such a game convention, the USSR in comparison with Germany weak: automatic rifle, tank, machine gun, aviation. The only advantage the USSR has over Germany on 5 BR is the assault weapon. In turn I don’t understand why improve MkB 42 when there is StG 44? The only thing it needs is a bayonet.

No, that’s why the RPS M3 and KB P 310 (RD 44) were further categorized as machine guns, and they did not participate in the assault rifle competition thereafter. So for example the ZK 383 also has a bipod, but to consider it a machine gun would be silly.

2 Likes