88mm shells bounce off american tanks!

Im amazed how much the 88mm gun on the Tiger bounces off american tank (Sherman Jumbo) in particular when i reality it was pure fantasy,gajin need to make it more realistic.

2 Likes

no

1 Like

Well. I wouldnt mind the current dm and armor models from WT though.

2 Likes

Yes

Where 8.8cm still bounces quite vigorously off of Jumbo’s front plate. Sometimes one needs to aim, even in a German tank, yes. If anything, many tanks are easier to pen here (but a lot more difficult to disable).

The Jumbo was armored specifically to be more-or-less impervious to the 88.

Sorry for bringing actual history to shatter your illusions.

5 Likes

Syphilis is curable, aids not.
I dont even care much for the Tiger (get Panther or StuG life) but rather for other tank cannons.

The Jumbo was practically up armored until the 88mm couldn’t pen it, so no. As for the other tanks, just aim better, the only reason you shouldn’t be oneshotting them is because you arn’t hitting the crew cabin.

2 Likes

Not only is the Tank realistic, but bouncing 88 shells was its selling point.
There was a documented instance of a Jumbo sustaining 4 hits from a PaK 43, before one got a weak spot and blew it up.
And given the Pak gun was an L70 or long barreled version vs the shorted L56 on the Tiger, its perfectly logical for bounces to happen.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Poor quality german steel armor killable by HE strikes modelled when?

1 Like

god damn my n(urbane american), sure sounds like you’re having trouble aiming there
you got early onset parkinsons maybe?

Poor quality russian steel armor killable by 37mm modelled when

2 Likes

I had a bit of a look to see what’s been written about the Jumbo, and its performance in combat. Zaloga’s Osprey series makes no mention of the Jumbo being any more resistant to 88’s specifically nor that Jumbo’s were specifically made to resist the 88’s. Hunnicut’s book likewise doesn’t specifically address the question, and Hayne’s Owner’s Workshop Manual also doesn’t have anything specifically in relation to this.
Unfortunately, I don’t have any of my books covering the Ardennes Offensive handy, which may have some specific info in combat assessments relating to them - collecting dust at my parent’s house.

Similarly glossing over the net gets stuck in circular references from all sorts of made up and unverifiable sources.

The anecdote doing most rounds is about the Jumbo that took 4 hits from a Pak 43 with the killing round going through the gunners periscope… The engagement distance or obliquity is not referenced.

For what its worth I’ve taken Gaijin’s own modelling out of WT and lined up a shot to the center of the seen mass for the following tanks:

a PzIV J using PzGr39 APCBC

a Tiger IE using PzGr39 APCBC

and a Panther G using PzGr39/42

None of these are evidentiary from any historical perspective, but it given that most engagements in Enlisted which is a Gaijin construct, take place at < 500m (given the small maps), its good enough to show us what should arguably be happening on their “researched” modelling figures. Even though we know there is a gap between Enlisted and WT, this being a game in beta one can only hope that the gap closes and eventually disappears.
From the opposite perspective their models also show that most German armour is equally vulnerable to the allied guns in many places other than the UFP or edges of the mantlets.

2 Likes

And in other documents the Jumbo wasnt even in Normandy until the Operation ended.

I agree it was in transit to and not deployed when the invasion happened.

I was merely stating documented cases of it sustaining fire, not being on the beach. We all know it wasn’t, sorry if my post was confusing on that part.

Although this may seem unrelated, this also happens with the Panzer IV, though in this instance it’s with the damage model of the Stuart.

Whenever I hit the Stuart with my Panzer IV, the damage is often underwhelming, when compared to the Panzer III N. and even the Puma. It often takes at least three shots to destroy a Stuart, which I find to be a little unrealistic.

I may be wrong on this, but this is just my opinion.

Nah. Just a nasty comment. You still right.

It’s because the devs refuse to give any of the American tanks ammo that have post pen when given the option to give them a solid shell, even if it was standard issue. Why? Ask the devs, not me.

Just use the Panther, it’s pretty much better.